Gransnet forums

Food

sponge cakes

(13 Posts)
NewgranGill Wed 27-Jul-16 16:18:17

Help!! I had promised DD to make birthday cake for DGS first birthday. I have spent almost all day doing this - it has cake pops in it to make it look like polka dots when it is cut. I have taken it out of the oven after testing the top to check cooked and when I turned the cakes out of their tins the bottom of both was still wet. What have I done wrong? shock

tanith Wed 27-Jul-16 16:43:11

Sounds like it has been taken out too soon NewgranGill I don't know if it can be rescued, I'm sure someone will be along with an idea of what you can do.. I just looked it up and it does look fantastic but a bit complicated.. good luck.

NewgranGill Wed 27-Jul-16 17:02:53

I have put them back in the oven on the lowest heat for a while and just taken them out again this time I tested with a skewer which came out perfectly clean. However when turned out they look 'greasy' on the bottom - although its holding together thank goodness so am wondering whether I may have used too much butter to grease the pans although I floured them but I have a very very old book about dreadful cooks mistakes and it could be that the butter I used in the mix may have been too soft and became oily! I am going to freeze them till I need to decorate and if I'm still in doubt may have to end up buying a novelty cake from the supermarket. blush

tanith Wed 27-Jul-16 17:11:35

They do look amazing I hope you've saved it as it won't be the same those novelty cakes are sometimes really small..

TriciaF Wed 27-Jul-16 17:59:18

They will probably firm up as they cool (hopefully!)
Keep them in the fridge, after you've "dressed" them as well.

TriciaF Wed 27-Jul-16 18:02:23

ps there are at least 2 types of sponge that I know of - victoria sponge, which has a little fat, and plain sponge which is only eggs flour sugar.
Each needs a different baking heat and time.

Lynker Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:19

I had a nightmare last weekend, when tasked with making some cupcakes for my grandson's first birthday party. The first 2 dozen were dry and overdone, the second batch were also dry and the third batch were, I think, underdone. Any other time I can make them no problem at all! I then decided to make some chocolate crispies, can't go wrong there.... wrong! I overheated the chocolate and it went rock hard, so I had to make a hasty trip back to the supermarket for more chocolate and more crispies!!! Second batch were better. It has to be said that the kiddies at the party all had their fill and the remainder went to nursery the next day with his elder sister!!! Result!!

Newquay Thu 28-Jul-16 11:48:36

Doesn't it just drive you mad things like that?
I'm meeting up with some sopranos (from my choir, not gangsters!) for lunch at someone's house. We're all taking something.
I offered salad from garden and made a Mary Berry honey, lemon and mustard dressing.
I've also made a 6oz sponge last night which you cover with a coffee syrup and today put whipped cream and walnuts on the top-amazingly it's come out rather well. Let's hope it tastes as good.
Don't tell anyone but I made the coffee syrup with Camp coffee from cupboard with a 2014 date-it tasted all right to me.
That made me go through cupboard of spices and herbs yesterday and I threw out a bagful of out of date stuff, some dated 2008.
I don't understand because I delude myself that I do go through the cupboard from time to timesad

Stansgran Thu 28-Jul-16 11:55:32

I think fan ovens make sponge cakes drier. A lady in lakeland in York makes the lightest sponge imaginable. She weighs the eggs and mathes the weight with the other ingredients.

Stansgran Thu 28-Jul-16 11:55:48

Matches

shysal Thu 28-Jul-16 12:56:56

The pop cake idea is a good one. When I did a polka dot cake I used sausage shaped pieces cut from coloured cake, end to end, but there was a lot of waste.
It may be that you pierced a pop cake rather than the surrounding mix when you tested with a skewer.
Mary Berry sometimes uses soft Stork, which I find gives a lighter sponge, and it is so easy in an all-in-one recipe.
I am afraid that it is Sod's law that the harder you try the worse the result will be! I hope the party goes well.

NewgranGill Fri 29-Jul-16 11:03:03

Thanks tp everyone you have given me hope. Its in the freezer at the moment and I will decorate the morning of his birthday. Fingers crossed.

The coffee syrup sponge sounds great please post the recipe.

shysal Fri 29-Jul-16 11:48:50

Just a tip, Newgran. If you are planning to use fondant icing on a frozen cake, it will sweat. This happened to me once. Not sure about other types of icing, but it would be best to de-frost thoroughly before decorating.
Good luck! Your DGS won't care what it tastes like at his age, it will all be about the appearance.