Gransnet forums

Food

thickening fruit flan filling

(34 Posts)
TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 16:44:20

I've got a craze for making sponge fruit flans lately. Our favourite is raspberry, I buy the bags of frozen rasps from the supermarket, not very expensive.
But I haven't yet found a good way of thickening the fruit and juice after cooking it. So it runs out of the bottom of the sponge base.
I've tried fruit flan topping powder mixed in, and agar agar,but no success. We only eat veg. gelatine (agar agar, I think.)
Do you think cornflour would work? Or would it be too solid?

janeainsworth Thu 22-Sep-16 16:47:27

Arrowroot is better than cornflour Tricia, it gives a clearer gel.
Cornflour would work though if you can't get arrowroot.

HildaW Thu 22-Sep-16 16:51:05

A small amount of cornflour does work but it will make the sauce a little cloudy. Arrowroot is better as it stays clear.

Jalima Thu 22-Sep-16 16:58:12

Yes, arrowroot works well.

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 20:30:59

Always use arrowroot, very successful

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:19

I'm going to try to find some tomorrow, but don't think I've ever seen it here. It's not even in my french dictionary. Liguee - marante, or fecule d'arrowroot.

Jalima Thu 22-Sep-16 22:29:18

Over here it would be on the baking shelf in a little tub like bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
Hope you find some - otherwise cornflour is OK, or reduce some juice right down?

phoenix Thu 22-Sep-16 22:55:38

Does anyone remember that special stuff for flans, think it was called Quickjel?

Elegran Thu 22-Sep-16 22:59:31

How about Dr Oetkers vege gel sachets? Substitute the fruit juice for the cold water. It does set rather stiff, so perhaps you could use it more dilute than the instructions.

Teetime Fri 23-Sep-16 10:05:29

I was going to say Jelly but it would have to be the veggie kind.

Elegran Fri 23-Sep-16 10:15:18

Dr Oetkers is veggie jelly. It is very easy to use.

Seb2015 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:24:03

My MiL used jelly - and it could only ever be Rowntrees. She had it in her head that they were going bust so every time she saw a Rowntrees jelly, she bought it - her cupboards were bulging with the stuff grin

HootyMcOwlface Fri 23-Sep-16 10:35:11

Don't make them much now but we always used the powdered jelly in little sachets for flans (comes in a twin pack) and I think you are right, it is called Quickjel Phoenix.

mancgirl Fri 23-Sep-16 10:35:35

Still use quickjel occasionally!

goose1964 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:49:53

I used quickjel when we made this in cookery at school - now have the urge too cook a fatless sponge

Alishka Fri 23-Sep-16 11:40:48

Golly, real retro baking in the early 70s feel here !One of those pre-baked sponge flan shells, tin of drained mandarin oranges. Quickjel over them...don't think we had access to squirty cream, tho, but if I had...wink

TriciaF Fri 23-Sep-16 11:50:38

We love fruit flan with cream on top - as you say, retro baking.
Well, I looked high and low for arrowroot but couldn't find any, so using cornflour. Maybe I'll look on line for arrowroot.
I remember quickjel too, but we only use veg. gelatine now.
I've made the sponge, and this time the filling will be apricot - got some compote in the freezer.

shysal Fri 23-Sep-16 12:59:38

I remember when I was a child my Uncle Stanley worked for the company who developed Quickjel. I believe it was made from agar-agar in those days. The sachet currently in my cupboard states that it is suitable for vegetarians.

There are vegetarian/Halal jelly crystals, brands Weikfield and Ahmed, which I have bought at Tesco. They set really quickly, but are a bit cloudy.

JackyB Fri 23-Sep-16 13:07:06

Spread some butter, or jam, or jelly, on the sponge to stop the liquid soaking through before it sets.

Agar agar works like gelatine - it's the vegetarian version But I would go with arrowroot.

If I don't know what a word is in another language, I use Wiki - but there is no entry in French for arrowroot. However, it does give the Latin name Maranta arundinacea, which would tally with the "marante" you found, Tricia.

JackyB Fri 23-Sep-16 13:09:29

Have just asked my colleague and she says it's "poudre de marante".

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 13:30:01

I always used Quickjel years ago.
I would use the arrowroot to thicken for crumbles or pies if needed, but would orobably use the Dr Oetker veggie gelatine nowadays if I wanted a jelly like consustency.

I haven't made a fruit flan for years, just fancy one now!

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 13:30:43

Spelling! blush

Tessa101 Fri 23-Sep-16 14:22:27

I remember that Phoenix thought you could still get it.

EmilyHarburn Fri 23-Sep-16 16:08:28

Trica F you may find potato flow in France.

Elegran Fri 23-Sep-16 16:41:06

You can get potato flour in Realfoods. I use it to thicken stir-fries.