Gransnet forums

Food

packed lunches

(12 Posts)
damson Fri 21-Oct-16 16:00:40

Pleas,e, someone, give me some new ideas for packed lunches to take to work... if I eat another sandwich, I think I'll turn into one! Someone must have some more adventurous ideas that don't take long to make? I tried cooking a big batch of soup to last a whole week, but found I'd gone right off it on the third day... confused sad

jusnoneed Fri 21-Oct-16 16:12:36

My son prefers to take a wrap rather than a sandwich. Filled with chicken (I cook a piece the evening before and use different flavours- chinese/barbecue etc) or Tuna and any salad/veg you like. Bit of chilli sauce or mayo.
Pasta salad is nice too, you could make it night before and keep in fridge. If you use the small pasta like Orzo and chop whatever you like to add small as well, add dressing. Lovely.

tanith Fri 21-Oct-16 16:31:42

Crackers and cheese with an apple, Ryvitas with pate. I love a salad with a different filler every day, chicken, egg, cold meat, pasta. Cook an omlette with mixed vegs, let it go cold then slice it up have with salad or on its own. Rice with different veg/meat. Variety is the secret you could have soup on the odd day but not day after day.

aggie Fri 21-Oct-16 17:17:41

soup needs to be cooled quickly and kept in the fridge to stop it going "off" I make a big pot and freeze some in single serving containers and keep some in a jug in the fridge . Pasta with chicken is a nice lunch instead of a sandwich . The frozen soup is usually thawed ready for heating by the time lunch time comes round

Tizliz Fri 21-Oct-16 17:54:51

Strange isn't. I would kill for a sandwich lunch since my OH has been on the LCHF diet. Every lunch is salad. Ham salad, egg salad, smoked salmon salad. Think I am turning green from all the lettuce. He doesn't like soup every day or even once a week. I rebelled last week and opened a tin of soup for myself.

chocolatepudding Fri 21-Oct-16 18:49:06

I make a cheese, ham and egg pie with shortcrust pastry which is good hot and excellent when cold for a picnic or with salad. It would ring the changes for your packed lunch.

see recipe at

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/7860865/Rose-Princes-recipes-for-July-Summer-galette.html

I will admit I make the pie in a dish and use cheddar cheese or even a mix of odd bits of cheese. It seems to be a lot of work but once you have tried it a couple of times it is easy.

cornergran Fri 21-Oct-16 19:16:09

When I was working it was cheese, an apple and a banana. Yes, every day. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still do, it's my usual picnic fare. No accounting for taste grin.

mumofmadboys Fri 21-Oct-16 19:19:53

Salads in a lunch box are good. Vary the ingredients and add more unusual things like dates, apricots and nuts.

Linsco56 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:46:14

I love sushi and could eat it every day. Cherry tomatoes with cubes of cheese and ham and a few saltine crackers. Fresh raw veg and dip. Tuna and sweetcorn pasta salad.

FarNorth Fri 21-Oct-16 19:56:45

I like a tub of humous with oatcakes or other savoury biscuits.
Or a 500ml tub of plain yogurt with a tin of fruit.

ninathenana Fri 21-Oct-16 23:57:45

Quiche and home made coleslaw. Cold chicken with sun dried tomato couscous.

Aurelia Sat 22-Oct-16 07:43:23

Pasta salad with a chicken drumstick alongside.
Cous-cous with flaked tuna or salmon stirred in.
Waldorf salad with flaked smoked mackerel stirred in.
Quiche.
Frittata.
Sausage roll or pork pie with potato salad.