Gransnet forums

Gardening

What I found in my pond and house today!

(48 Posts)
tiggypiro Mon 08-Sep-14 19:25:40

What a day !

Today I removed the metal mesh which had been over the pond for 3 months whils the DGC's were here. The surface was covered in duck weed which I was scooping out. Within minutes I had found 2 baby newts which I was so thrilled about as I had rarely seen newts in my pond.

Later I was in the sitting room when a black and white kitten appeared. It must have been up-stairs and on seeing me it shot back up there. I have searched for it with no luck so far so have put a litter tray, food and water on the landing. I have no idea where it has come from and will of course try and find its owner but am rather hoping it is here to stay as I was just about to go to Blue Cross to find a new cat. My last cat was put to sleep in January but with one thing and another had not felt the time was right for a new one. I always say that cats choose their staff and maybe that is what this kitten has done. Watch this space !

tiggypiro Fri 19-Sep-14 22:42:15

Purdy's progress
She has at last stopped eating so fast the food doesn't touch the sides as it goes down and is even getting a bit picky. Not that she is going to be pandered to (I hope). She even feels confident enough to leave some in her dish. She loves to curl up on my knee and be stroked and has for the first time tonight come to me on her own. I have been given a cat scratching post which thankfully she is using rather than the furniture. However a firm 'No' does seem to do the trick when she tries things which the staff feel is inappropiate.
She is turning into a lovely little cat and I feel privileged to have been chosen as her 'Chief Cook and Bottlewasher'.

etheltbags1 Fri 19-Sep-14 20:44:32

I 'rescued ' a feral kitten from a drain, I could not get the others though. I took her home and fed her and she soon stopped biting. I did have to have a tetanus though. She is now 10 years old and quite a settled old lady now, however shes just not a 'cuddly' cat she just lies on my bed at night but if I touch her she moves away. I respect her for this and just stroke her when I can.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 12:06:31

tiggy Maybe the newt means getting drunk? hmm No idea about the kitten. I meant being visited by a bird and a bee. And only the coincidence that I fell pregnant soon after.

GrandmaH Fri 19-Sep-14 11:01:11

Obviously meant to be! He ( or she- very difficult to tell when they are tiny) knew where to go. I'll bet he will be the best cat you've ever had.
I used to foster kittens for the Cat Protection charity ( which is why we finished up with 6!) One day a local vet rang on the of fchance I had a spare cage as a tiny kitten had just been brought in found next t the body of his Mum on a country road. I had just homed a kitten the night before so took him in not weaned. 8 years later his is still running the house & has all sorts of health problems tat did not show until he got older but is the happiest, most contented cat we have ever had. He knew where to come & who could cope with his problems
Sorry - maybe this should be under pets!

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Sep-14 19:29:06

The kitten sounds lovely. A tabby cat adopted us when we were children. He used to sit on my Dad's shoulder when he came home from work, and lick his shirt collar.

On Monday I was sitting watching Countdown, I had the front door and living room door open. Suddenly there was a flutter and a robin perched on the back of my sofa. We have large sliding glass doors at the other end of the living room so I opened them as wide as possible and he flew out. Fortunately we don't have a cat, just an elderly dog who took no notice at all.

nannyfran Wed 10-Sep-14 18:15:18

Have just caught up with this lovely story and wish you both many happy years together.
I hate to think what the offspring of the newt/kitten combination might be- a "newten" or a "kittewt" maybe? Can't wait!

Anne58 Wed 10-Sep-14 18:13:37

PS Just to add I don't actually have them.

Currently.

Anne58 Wed 10-Sep-14 18:13:06

If you luck is anything like mine, tiggy , haemorrhoids grin

tiggypiro Wed 10-Sep-14 17:24:51

So if a starling and a bee makes you pregnant rubylady what can I expect from newts and a kitten !!! ??

rubylady Wed 10-Sep-14 16:30:22

Some years ago, after four years of trying for another baby and various treatments, I had a visit from a starling, came flying into my living room, and a bee in the same day. Not long after I was pregnant with my son.

I am not a cat lover, but this is a really cute story and I wish you a long and happy time with your new mistress.

ninathenana Wed 10-Sep-14 16:18:48

Great news for you and Purdy.

Going back to the title of the thread. An article complete with photo in our local paper today tells of a house that had a bird fly in the front door. Nothing exceptional about that except it was a Goss Hawk !!!
It was ringed and was soon safely reunited with it's owner/keeper ?

petallus Wed 10-Sep-14 15:28:21

I've been following Purdy's progress. What a lovely thing to happen.

Agus Wed 10-Sep-14 14:20:27

A perfect happy ending to where this story began.

Wishing you and Purdy many happy days ahead tiggy

Aka Wed 10-Sep-14 10:27:33

I wish you both a happy companionship for many moons.

tiggypiro Wed 10-Sep-14 10:20:02

Just been to the vet and other than what I knew/thought about I seem to have one quite healthy FEMALE kitten who is now tucking into her mid-morning break laced with wormer. Happy days !

shysal Tue 09-Sep-14 23:26:03

So pleased that he/she has come round, what a rapid transformation! I wish you years of fun! I wonder whether there is a mother and siblings living wild nearby. sunshine

Anne58 Tue 09-Sep-14 20:54:29

tiggy so very pleased for you and Purdy! Sometimes things are just meant to be, very much hoping for a "happy ever after" ending to this little tale!

tiggypiro Tue 09-Sep-14 20:48:11

Thanks evryone.
He is now snuggled up in his nest in a borrowed dog crate so that I can move around the house without worrying he might escape but somehow I don't think he will be wanting to go anywhere !

It will be a shock tomorrow if 'he' is really a 'she'!

Agus Tue 09-Sep-14 20:29:39

So, it was meant to be after all. Great news tiggysmile

I was thinking the same Elegran

Elegran Tue 09-Sep-14 20:21:17

This reminds me a little of stories of Rory's first introduction into the Soop household.

MiniMouse Tue 09-Sep-14 20:17:10

Tiggyp it looks like you've been adopted smile You obviously have 'Cat Slave' tattooed on your forehead wink

NanKate Tue 09-Sep-14 20:16:37

What a fabulous story Tiggy do keep all us cat lovers up to date with Purdy's progress.

Aka Tue 09-Sep-14 20:01:52

That's great news tiggy you little cat seems to have sought you out smile

tiggypiro Tue 09-Sep-14 19:55:17

SUCH GOOD NEWS !!

My friend came round this evening and she does seem to be a bit of a 'cat whisperer'. Once we had found him (underneath the cot) she stroked him with a feather and was able very quickly to use her hand. This was while she was laid flat out on the floor. He started purring and we then got him out from under and he has now spent the last 2 hours cuddling, eating and purring on my knee. He has at least 2 large tics and probably fleas and worms. In addition he is dirty and his fur feels yukky. A visit to the vet asap in the morning.
I really don't think he belongs to anyone who wants him as he could not have got into the state he is very quickly and there have been no 'lost' notices in the village so I guess he is mine !
Very strange that I was going to go to Blue Cross this week to find another cat but I am a firm believer that cats find staff not visa versa so I guess that is what he has done.
We have called him 'Purdy' as that is what he does.

Lilygran Tue 09-Sep-14 17:57:59

Thanks, tiggy. Good luck with cat catching stage 2!