Gransnet forums

Gardening

Tatton Park Flower Show

(13 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-15 12:09:50

Harrogate is nearer but it's not as good.

durhamjen Thu 26-Mar-15 23:41:32

Isn't Harrogate nearer to you, vampire?

gillybob Thu 26-Mar-15 22:46:37

Excellent advice from VQ. I saw some wonderful plants that I could not afford to buy at the time and had only a mental picture of what I thought they were. If I am lucky enough to go again I will def take a notebook and/or a camera to take photos of the names. I have a hopeless memory. Also the advice about flat comfortable shoes is priceless. You can (and do) walk for miles. Food is a) rubbish and b) V expensive so good advice to try and take a packed lunch/picnic if you can. Or at least some bottled water.

I am hoping to try and organize child care/elderly care/ work to be able to visit again this year fingers crossed. Teetime has started me off. smile

vampirequeen Thu 26-Mar-15 20:10:11

OMG I'm soooo jealous of you both.

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 20:02:25

We are going to TP this year, hotel booked. My only tip is, get there early and wear comfortable shoes.

vampirequeen Thu 26-Mar-15 19:50:59

Forget the nasties.

I've been to Tatton. It's brilliant. I really envy you. Wear comfortable shoes and don't get carried away buying plants (famous last words from me lol). We bought some quite expensive tulip bulbs but they were worth every penny. They come up beautifully every year and give a magnificent show. No idea what they are cos I just labelled them 'Tatton Tulips' grin Food and drink is expensive so at least carry drinks if you can. Take a notepad with you so you won't forget the names of the wonderful plants you see and think you could use in your garden.

Get there early. Give yourself lots of time to wander around. Enjoy!!!!

grannyactivist Thu 26-Mar-15 12:03:01

When I was at Uni my husband and I both got occasional work at Tatton Park as waiting staff for their big events. Working on their summer and winter balls was a real eye opener; guests (the Cheshire set) behaving like rowdy 6th formers and elderly waitresses sneaking off behind the curtains to secretly drink. smile

gillybob Thu 26-Mar-15 09:55:44

Teetime I am often ignored, disagreed with and in the past have been sent nasty PM's telling me I have no place on these forums. I kid you not.

There is no way this would make me leave though. We all have the right to an opinion here and no-one is more important than the next person. I hope you do reconsider leaving. We need a variety of opinions or else it would be soooooooo boring.

...........and in response to your OP, DH and I went to Tatton two years ago. It was amazing. We DH towed the caravan and we stayed on a lovely site just 20 minutes drive away. I would love to go back. Must start dropping hints. smile

Lona Thu 26-Mar-15 09:47:13

Teetime I haven't seen any remarks, but please don't go. It's just not worth it.
There are probably a lot more netters who do like you!

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-15 09:39:39

Thank you annsixty I'll have another think. I don't mind disagreements but some people make it personal.

annsixty Thu 26-Mar-15 09:33:44

Teetime Don't throw your toys out of the pram. You said something others did not agree with but other people have done this before you. Put it behind you and stay on the forum. Life really is too short.

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-15 09:13:14

Forget it- I just read some responses to something else I wrote and you all seem to hate me. think I'll sign off this forum.

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-15 06:58:46

I am excited to be going to the TFPS this year for the first time. DD2 lives nearby and we have booked an hotel for the weekend. I shall visit the show on the Friday/Saturday. Has anyone got any tips please for this event? Is anyone going and like to meet for coffee?