Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lillies

(19 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 14:20:05

i have waited weeks for these to finally flower. Worth the wait I think. smile

Nelliemoser Tue 07-Jul-15 14:24:15

They usually are if the lily beetle does not get their first. I have two lily "regale" about to come out. And others to follow.

merlotgran Tue 07-Jul-15 14:25:25

They're lovely, jingl. My lilies are late this year.

Meercat Tue 07-Jul-15 14:25:49

They are really beautiful.

Constant war going on here against the Lily Beetles!

POGS Tue 07-Jul-15 15:14:07

And the dreaded vine weevil. [Grrrr]

janerowena Tue 07-Jul-15 15:21:50

I do love lilies, one of my favourites. I have, or rather, had, three large clumps of regales in my front garden, only one lot has come up this year. It was only when one lot flowered a couple of days ago that I noticed that there was no foliage from the others. I must waste an awful lot of money trying to keep lilies going. I have some smaller ones in pots at the back, but the lily beetle is everywhere there.

Teetime Tue 07-Jul-15 15:39:21

they are lovely- I love lilies and often buy them for the house. Ours are waiting to come out in the pot in the garden but I see several little red beetles on them which DH flicks off but of course they come back- he wont kill insects!

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Jul-15 19:01:25

They are beautiful. Mine are nowhere near flowering. Our roses have only just started flowering. Everything here is easily three weeks to a month behind the south.

Greyduster Wed 08-Jul-15 07:42:17

They are superb, Jingl. My lilies have just started flowering. We had some lily beetle this year but not as bad as last which was awful. They appeared first on the snakes head fritillaries and I've never seen that before. There doesn't appear to be any effective treatment except to pick the little b****rs off and squash them!

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 07:49:33

How did you post that picture jingl (or anyone else who knows how)?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jul-15 09:29:11

Anya - sorry, only just seen your question.

I did it from the GN Mobile Site. Took the pic using my mini ipad, and put the photo up directly from there. It is really easy now. I think they have done something to make it easier than it was before. HTH. smile

hildajenniJ Thu 09-Jul-15 15:18:44

This is the first of mine to flower. The others are still just tight buds.

whitewave Thu 09-Jul-15 15:44:16

I can't possibly squash the beetles they are so beautiful . I pick them off as soon as they appear and take them into the service road at the back of the house and release them. Have been doing it for years. This year the lilies are completely untouched so it worked! I think this has been one of the best years for roses too. I only have regales in my garden but there are some others about to flower and then I will find out which ones they are as I forgot to make a note. I am also planning to make an iris bed to be followed by lilies next year.

hildajenniJ Thu 09-Jul-15 16:24:15

Anya, sorry to butt in, but if you click on the picture you can see it full size.

hildajenniJ Tue 11-Aug-15 11:41:35

My DH planted these arum Lillie's a couple of years ago. We now have a yellow one and a pink one on the same planter.

loopylou Tue 11-Aug-15 17:33:53

My Arum lilies have been amazing, the plant's about 4' high and 6' wide. 14 flowers so far. Did you know it'll grow in a pond as a marginal plant? I had to remove it from mine because was too rampant. It's as tough as old boots smile

rosesarered Tue 11-Aug-15 18:30:59

We always plant a lot of these, they come up just when other flowers are dying back.Spray them once a month and you don't get lily beetle.

annodomini Tue 11-Aug-15 19:14:06

My large pink Stargazer lilies are looking very sad and I have to assume that the beetles have got them. Next year, I'll spray them - with what?

rosesarered Tue 11-Aug-15 19:40:33

Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Anno.