Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Give us your tips on becoming a new grandparent and win a lovely personalised baby gift set

(56 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Jun-13 10:51:06

The birth of the royal baby in mid-July <sounds fanfare> will be Carole and Michael Middleton's and Charles and Camilla's inauguration into grandparenthood. What tips would you give them?

What has experience of the first grandchild taught you? Anything you wished you'd known beforehand? How did you deal with your children becoming parents?

The gransnetter who gives the best tip (as judged by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall - author of The Good Granny Guide: Or How to Be a Modern Grandmother and our Good Granny Guide section) will win a Royal Range gift set from My 1st Years. This gorgeous gift set is embroidered with a gold HRH crown and will be personalised with your grandchild's name. The set includes a bodysuit, sleepsuit, hat and bib, all made from high quality cotton, as well as a soft fleece blanket and luxurious pair of HRH sheepskin booties. The set is beautifully packaged in a blue My 1st Years gift box.

You can read our T&Cs for competitions here.

Please post your answers on this thread. The competition will close on 5 July and the winner will be picked shortly after. We'll announce the winner on this thread and the Won Anything? thread.

(This competition is featured on: ThePrizeFinder - UK Competitions - ABCWin - Competition Hunter)

cporteus Mon 24-Jun-13 14:23:23

Just enjoy it!

Monkeykv Mon 24-Jun-13 19:55:46

Always remember the new mum will always believe that her way is best- go with her.

abbyed33 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:15:34

Only step in and give advice when you are asked, every one needs to learn for themselves and it just gives new parents more pressure to do things a certain way if you try and tell them your way of doing things

unner1 Tue 25-Jun-13 15:50:01

Remember things have changed since you had your family.
Helpful comments like " oh i used to do..... " can seem like a critisim to a first time Mum.
Just smile be supportive and tell them how proud you are.

moonlite Tue 25-Jun-13 22:51:32

i think its good to remember as a grandparent you are there to support and guide but ultimately it is the parents choice as to how they raise their children and interfering just makes for a bad atmosphere
my daughter is pregnant with her first child and i have to respect her for doing things her way and knowing i am here for her if or when she needs me.
i can be the calm when she needs a break or rest and pampering and a few hours to herself once my grandchild is born.
i have step grandchildern to and i think as long as i remember it isnt my baby and they have to be left to do things their way things work out well for all of us and a get the pleasure and fun without some of the bad bits being a mother entail

Aka Tue 25-Jun-13 23:09:25

1. Never offer unsolicited advice or if asked be cautious!
2. Don't laugh when they tell you the name the have chosen
3. Never offer help, wait to be asked
4. Don't enter into competition with the in laws
5. Remember it's their baby not yours.

Amez2012 Thu 27-Jun-13 09:58:52

take lots of photos!!!

inishowen Fri 28-Jun-13 11:29:52

I'm going to be writing a book about our family, to give to my grandchildren when they're older. This will be the greatest gift I can give. I'm so sorry that I didn't find out more about my grans life before she died. So much family history lost.

helenclare Fri 28-Jun-13 11:47:22

When asked for advice do not commit straight away in case it causes problems, reply with just trust your instinct, it usually right.

kate1947 Fri 28-Jun-13 16:00:47

my two are 3 and 10 months both boys, I love them to bits and help out with childcare when my daughter in law is working.

I just play with them take them to the park,read to them and generally enjoy their company. I love it now the eldest one remembers things we have done, like recently singing the rainbow song and joins in with me

vickimac Sat 29-Jun-13 13:47:00

My advise would be, dont interfere unless asked, keep your opinions to yourself, interfering Grandparents can be a nightmare. when my daughter had my grandaughter i let her get on with it but i let her know i was always here if she needed me or any advise, hense one happy daughter & one fabulous grandchild & a big happy family.

betejaid Sat 29-Jun-13 19:47:33

I had to learn how to fit in without getting in the way as a step-grandma which I did by acknowledging how great it is for my step DIL to have her mum close by as is just what she needed to hear with a new baby in the house. Giving my step-son the support to be a great dad and listening to umpteen stories of nappies, feed times and bottles was a great way to help out as I was tidying round and putting some meals in the freezer. Giving lots of encouragement and letting my step DIL know that she's doing a fantastic job has really strenghtened our relationship. I'm looking forward to being an important part of my "step" grandson's growing up!

pegros Mon 01-Jul-13 19:58:15

Enjoy every minute you are allowed with the new baby and respect the new parents wishes - remember things have changed since your child was a baby!

Galen Mon 01-Jul-13 20:02:11

Don't interfere!
It is her baby.
If she asks for advice:- give it! Never volunteer it!

mrsa1405 Tue 02-Jul-13 18:26:15

I would say to stay in the background. Let the parents make the decisions and make the mistakes, but always be there to help and guide if and when needed.

longlegs1001 Wed 03-Jul-13 02:35:59

If you're asked for advice don't be offended if it isn't taken also try to remember how you felt when you were a new parent especially about well meaning grandparents

stcuthbert Wed 03-Jul-13 08:49:37

OFFER THE ADVICE WHEN ASKED

lillyfer Wed 03-Jul-13 12:09:04

Try not to interfere or be around too much, news parent need there space even if they are you child. Do not offer too much advice unless asked for it.

peanutmum Wed 03-Jul-13 22:51:05

Spend more time listening to the needs of the 'parents', rather than giving your opinions!!
A happy and relaxed parent = happy relaxed child for you to enjoy as well.

liaburns18 Wed 03-Jul-13 23:55:35

dont take over too much and enjoy the fact you can give them back when they cry!

elff73 Thu 04-Jul-13 07:52:36

Just remember that its not your baby and take a step back, you may want to take over because you've done it before but they have to find out for themselves. Just be there when they ask!!!!!!!!!

chumbelina Thu 04-Jul-13 17:34:13

I am a nana 4 times over, and am just about to be a great great aunt to a little boy, so I bet his mum and dad would love this Royal set, as he is due any time now, might even turn out to be the same day! I will only ever give advice if asked for it, but be there whenever I can to help out with anything I can. So that is my advice. After all I have just sat through a month of chicken pox with the two youngest ones, and helped throughout, as mum did not get much sleep, as you can imagine! And they have to go back home to New Zealand next week, so have never had quite such a spotty holiday, one after the other, so will not forget it in a hurry, forced to quarantine ourselves!

albertina Fri 05-Jul-13 07:29:45

Don't give advice unless asked. If you are living a long way from your Grandchild, try to travel to see them as often as you can in the first few years to build a good relationship.

I live a long way away from my Granddaughter, now six, and send her a postcard or letter at least once a week and talk to her on the phone as often as possible.

nicole101 Fri 05-Jul-13 08:12:14

Think about what you are about to say before you say it!

amandakingston6 Fri 05-Jul-13 09:51:06

When my daughter told me she was expecting i was happy and shocked at the same time. I mean how could my little girl have grown up so quick, i'm sure it was only yesterday i was changing her nappy and then taking her to nursery. But Lily has been the most amazing addition to our family, i love her as much as my own daughter, and the nice thing is that you get to spoil them rotten. I feel so lucky that my daughter allows me to be a big part of her life, and i am watching her grow without all the stress of being a parent. All i can say is be there for your granddaughter without interfering and telling them how you think your child should be bringing up their child. We all learnt by making mistakes and they will do the same, if they need your help and advice then you can be there with all the wisdom of your years of experience. But most importantly just enjoy your grand children