Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Teeny baby

(62 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Wed 14-Jan-15 00:37:24

I am the proud but slightly worried grandmother of a teeny tiny baby who was born at 27 weeks gestation last week. She weighed just over 2lb and is now just 2lb. Her mum had to have steroid injections as she was in early onset labour so the baby's lungs are a little stronger that they would have been. She is adorable and seems to be a little fighter. Has anyone any stories regarding tiny preterm babies who are now fighting fit. I am caring for her 15 month old sister while mum and dad go to the unit. Luckily she is a good girl and very easy to look after.

pinkprincess Wed 04-Feb-15 00:20:13

I have just come on this thread and have not read all of it.
Congratulations Flowerofthewest

My DGD3 was born at 30 weeks weighing 2lbs 10oz. She is now 18 and healthy.

My father was one of premature twins born at home in 1918. My grandmother was told that he and his sister would not see the next morning, they lived for many mornings. Both survived to old age, married and brought up families. Apparently they were placed together in the same cot and wrapped in warmed flannel.

Try not to worry too much I know this is hard.There were a few worrying moments with my granddaughter. At one moment she had to go into a more high powered incubator and also needed a blood transfusion. She also had a lowered immune system because of her prematurity and needed a few hospital stays in her first year.

Thinking of you and your family

whenim64 Tue 03-Feb-15 23:33:27

That's great progress, Flower. Won't be long before she's in her open cot at this rate. Our little ones could have done with revolving doors between high dependency and special care, as they moved in and out quite regularly for a couple of weeks, but once they started feeding for themselves they quickly got stronger. Seems so long ago now, when I've been chatting with one of them this afternoon, sat on her potty singing 'Let It Go' at the top of her voice.

merlotgran Tue 03-Feb-15 23:11:59

Lovely news, Flower. Onwards and Upwards. smile

Flowerofthewest Tue 03-Feb-15 23:05:19

Good news is that she is ready to be moved to Special Care (next step up), her eye test had great results today, no problem so far with retina. She coped well with the invasive test too.

grandma60 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:29:33

Thank you annsixty and Whenim64 . I cannot believe that a whole year has passed since the twins were born. I shall never forget the support that I got from Gransnet, especially the encouraging stories of Anns neighbours neice and the updates on When's twin grandchildren. The boys main problem is their lungs and there has been a couple of trips to hospital with chest infections but hopefully.things should gradually improve. The y were given so many things at Christmas that their parents have asked for donations to the prem unit instead of birthday presents. It is good to know that they can give something back.
I am sure that this time next year Flower will be giving us good news about Daisy
flowers

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 20:59:01

So glad hat things are going well - what excellent news.

Deedaa Sun 01-Feb-15 20:52:22

That's great news Flower so nice to hear something cheerful. smile

whenim64 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:52:18

It's good to hear about these tiny babies. I can't believe how fast a year has gone, grandma60. Good to know your little ones are doing well.

annsixty Sat 31-Jan-15 21:41:40

grandma 60 I remember you posting and me replying about my Neighbour's neice last year. She is doing brilliantly and I am pleased your DGs's are also,she will have lung problems for some time but is is a joy to her family.All good wishes to you all and to Flower's DGD.

grandma60 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:06:46

That's great news Flower She must be doing really well. It took our grandsons a lot longer to come off cpap but they got there in the end. They had skin to skin contact after about 4 weeks. I worried that they were missing out on.cuddles before that but I was told that too much handling was stressful to them as they really should have been still.in the womb. Still all is well now. It is their 1st birthday next week

grannyactivist Sat 31-Jan-15 19:19:01

Good news about Daisy Flower, another step along the way to going home. smile

Flowerofthewest Sat 31-Jan-15 18:47:24

Handsome lads Penstemmon

Nelliemoser Sat 31-Jan-15 13:48:19

I think now they are very keen on skin to skin contact to keep fairly small babies as well as they can be.
Not if they need lots of extra support but it is supposed to help keep body temperature and heart rhythms stable.

I have to look up how to spell rhythms every time.

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:27:43

Good news, Flower! Happy for you all x

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 09:45:40

That is really good news, flower.
She is a fighter! All good wishes [teddybear icon]

Flowerofthewest Fri 30-Jan-15 22:58:52

Teeny baby has moved on to HDU, penultimate step to coming home, this will probably take a few weeks but she is doing so well. Off of C-pap now and thriving.

Stansgran Mon 26-Jan-15 20:02:25

I've just seen this thread and will add one more success story. DD2's best friend was a "bag of sugar" baby and is now a film producer nearly 40 years later in NY. I think the early struggle gives them the grit. flowers

Penstemmon Mon 26-Jan-15 19:38:39

pleased to hear that Daisy is doing well. grin

Faye Sat 24-Jan-15 11:00:32

I popped in to see how Daisy was. Congratulations Flowerofthewest, you must have been very worried at first. Keep us up to date on Daisy's progress. flowers

Iam64 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:32:45

It's good to hear that Daisy (lovely name) is doing well Flower smile

rubylady Fri 23-Jan-15 03:07:54

Flower Daisy is such a beautiful name, taking after her grandma with being called Flower.

It is so lovely that you get on with your DIL and such a shame about her own mother. My SIL to be lost his mum when he was 12 but I seem to have been pushed out of their lives, maybe because of this or not, don't know. But I thought that they would love to have some older adult to depend on fo both him and my DD but they seem to want to go it alone, after they have milked me for most of their nursery stuff though.

It sounds like they have to have no vests on to watch her breathing. She will be warm enough and I am sure they will fit her when she gets home and be thankful her grandma has such good ideas. Good luck to you all. Have they weighed her since? I will keep an eye on with interest. Lots of love. flowers

glassortwo Thu 22-Jan-15 09:47:33

flower congratulations I have just seen this thread. Glad Daisy is doing well. flowers
wine sunshine

Flowerofthewest Wed 21-Jan-15 20:51:43

Amazing Deedaa Lots of successful early babies on here. So lovely. Thanks all. My DS is now and 'expert' on tiny babies hmm he tends to become an expert on everything he experiences. I have ordered some tiny vests etc for incubator babies. He has told me that the have to be naked. I have to believe him as I know nothing about this. I have said that they can be sent back but his lovely DW jumped in and said that the little one will still only be about 3.5lb when 36 weeks (when she may come home) so they will keep them. I am so proud of my Dil and love her to bits. Her mum was my best friend and died 18 years ago leaving my DiL at 17 to make her way through college and become a success in her chosen career. Never thought that we would share grandchildren. Makes them even more special.

Mishap Tue 20-Jan-15 19:25:01

Good news that Daisy is doing well Flower!

rosequartz Tue 20-Jan-15 19:03:00

That is amazing, Flowerofthewest!

DGS looked and weighed like a 3 month old when he was born; all small size clothes had to be given away!

Glad to hear that Daisy (lovely name) is doing well.