Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

He is here :-) :-) :-)

(63 Posts)
nannynoo Mon 13-Jul-15 01:37:24

Little man is tucked up in bed smile

I am going to get some much needed shut eye soon as have been busy from the first minute he was here lol

Day 4 now and not even had TIME to catch up on here...

He is SO happy to be here ( please see my previous posts if not aware what I am talking about even lol )

He can't seem to believe it and nor can I

We are laughing a lot of course and having fun eg in the park , making cakes , playing in the garden , making new friends etc BUT there IS a bitter sweet side to this unfortunately as he was away so long etc ie his EMOTIONAL well being and the emotional fall out / his healing time , bless him

Is displaying some 'behaviours' like peeing on the floor and spitting etc and he never did this before and is nearly 8 now so I just stayed calm and said ''big boys pee in the toilet'' and he has MOSTLY being doing it in there now especially as I stay calm about it but he is EXTRA clingy and insecure etc and seems VERY worried and anxious he is going to be taken away again / has to go back again , he knows his stuff is here etc but he still seems worried bless him , he is SO happy here yet of course he has FEELINGS even though he cannot fully express them in words due to his Autism so when his frustration and anxiety and anger come up I am encouraging him to hit the settee as it is soft and he NEEDS to get it all out somehow and it seems to really be helping him as he has a good hit of the settee with a very angry look on his face bless him and then a look of RELIEF , a smile , then he is off playing happily again and he even instigates it himself now when the feelings come up inside!!

Reckon he has a lot of anger inside , it seems he has abandonment issues to me and I do want to be that 'soft place for him to land' and be able to FULLY HEAL HERE and feel SECURE and happy of course , but the secure bit is going to take a while as even at school in the morning they end up having to drag him away from me as he is clinging on and I WISH he was with me A LOT SOONER but I can't change that I can only do everything I can to help him heal and overcome his issues etc which I know will put a stop to the behaviours which are going with it / being caused by it so he IS a happy little boy on one hand but he does have some emotional issues to deal with now after everything he has been through sad

I believe he will heal though , my heart aches to see him so clingy and insecure as he has been EXTRA clingy ever since he was handed over to me , he has NEVER held my hand SO tightly and keeps holding my hand really tightly and looking into my eyes for signs of ''YES , you are here for GOOD or for as long as needed but back IN the FAMILY again now!''

Deedaa Sun 16-Aug-15 17:42:12

So glad things are still going well Nannynoo I hope your new SW appreciates all you've done. smile

Katek Sun 16-Aug-15 15:29:01

Nannynoo- sheer joy is simply radiating out from you! It brings a tear of happiness to my eyes. All the very, very best to you and your precious grandson. sunshine

TriciaF Sun 16-Aug-15 09:13:16

So glad to see your update Nannynoo smile - wishing you both many happy years together.
Your boy will keep you young!

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Aug-15 08:29:47

(Don't know how Mr iPad just added that L. I think he's practising to take over. Keeps doing stuff like that!)

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Aug-15 08:28:23

L

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Aug-15 08:28:14

smile

Iam64 Sat 15-Aug-15 23:23:57

What lovely posts nannynoo. Thanks you've made my day x

nightowl Sat 15-Aug-15 21:15:42

What a wonderful happy ending, or should I say new beginning nannynoo. I could not agree more about kinship care. Thankfully the courts are beginning to take that view as well, at last. I send you (((hugs))) and best wishes for the future x

Crow Sat 15-Aug-15 20:48:40

I have much admiration for you nannynoo well done to you and flowers Love is a wonderful healer.
I have no doubt that road ahead will be hard but I am sure you will cope.
I am a firm believer in unconditional love and it seems to me that you give that little boy that. Well done to you.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Aug-15 20:44:10

So glad for you both nannynoo. smile

nannynoo Sat 15-Aug-15 20:33:45

It makes all the difference in the world if you get a good SW flowers

The assessment lady has the right balance between professionalism and caring too and that is such a lovely and good balance as the client feels relaxed and secure with the person then and can be more open and natural with them smile x

It also dispels and disperses the FEAR which I have felt immensely in the past but don't feel any more THANKFULLY!!

I feel I can just simply be myself now! grin

nannynoo Sat 15-Aug-15 20:27:24

It is so lovely to see him so happy and settled , words cannot explain how it makes me feel to look over at him and see how happy and secure he is which was my GOAL smile xx

We had a lovely holiday together and the dog loved it too , it wasn't perfect , even weather wise but we certainly made the most of it and did some lovely bonding together x

I think kinship care is the way to go for the childs sake if at all possible and if there are no safeguarding issues as they are truly happy and secure with family even with the emotional scars from all they have been through already

He is truly thriving here in every way! grin

I am so grateful and thankful for everything including the support during the worst year or so of my entire life! We have a new SW visiting us next week but I feel at peace about it and she is an 'advanced' SW so should be professional which I feel secure with as am much more relaxed and open with someone when they are truly professional and I honestly got FOND of the last one and actually MISS her!!

NanSue Wed 05-Aug-15 20:12:12

Wonderful news. So pleased for you both. flowers

nannynoo Wed 05-Aug-15 19:45:18

Ahhh thank you , it has been a difficult journey but oh so WORTH IT and still is! smile ... Always will be I reckon

It is a sad situation really but the assessment lady met him today and said ''he is in the 2nd best place possible'' which was lovely to hear! ... She really took to him as he is lovely and it went really well , was worried it would be chaos but it was calm and pretty orderly

So have a few more things to do after our holiday and will really get stuck in more to all the practicalities once he is back at school xx

FarNorth Tue 04-Aug-15 11:27:52

You're doing so well Nannynoo. I was just wondering how you were both getting on so it's good to hear your news.
You and your DGS deserve your happiness sunshine

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Aug-15 07:22:39

Wonderful Nannynoo! Just wonderful!! sunshine

nannynoo Tue 04-Aug-15 01:59:03

Little man is settling in well

Is still healing and so am I from the trauma of it all but it will take a while...

Still a few behaviours remaining but it is so understandable and on the whole he and I are both so HAPPY smile

We have done some lovely things like a trip to the zoo with a picnic etc , it is just lovely BEING TOGETHER wherever we are and right now chilling at home is so therapeutic for both of us , we are relaxing , unwinding , healing even through the difficult moments

We have a lovely routine and things are just coming together naturally and am persevering with things like discipline and not giving up

He has been asking for his Mummy a lot recently , bless him , but he still says ''stay Nannys house'' as he wants to stay here and every day is a pleasure even through the hard bits and even the dog plays up sometimes as is in his ''teen dog years'' so can be a bit of a handful too , but I joke about my cheeky boys and having my hands full etc which indeed I do but am happier than I have possibly EVER been after what I have been through to get here and am still going through in some ways as no order is finalised yet , but am plodding on and it is going well , better than I thought and I know our full healing and settledness in our souls will come x

glassortwo Sun 26-Jul-15 21:40:37

You deserve to enjoy every minute together nannynoo sunshine

FarNorth Sun 26-Jul-15 19:47:41

I'm so pleased for you both, Nannynoo. It's so good to hear that your DGS is starting to relax and to believe that he is staying with you.
smile smilesmilesmilesmile

Jomarie Sun 26-Jul-15 19:37:41

Happy days are here again Nannynoo - so happy for you and thanks for letting us all know how things are going with you both. smile

daffydil Sun 26-Jul-15 08:38:21

I have read one sad post this morning regarding GC so it makes your update so welcome. I have followed your experiences from the start and I am absolutely delighted that you now have your DGS with you and are giving him the quality of love and care he needs and deserves. Keep us posted from time to time.

nannynoo Sun 26-Jul-15 03:50:13

Yes Pogs I sit there staring at him OFTEN and I DO feel like pinching myself at times Lona and those happy snuggling together times are PRICELESS Deedaa xx

I was looking at him on the train home from contact today and I COULD NOT BELIEVE he was on the train WITH me ... I actually shed a few tears on the way to the station walking down the road with his hand in mine as SOOOOOO many times I walked that journey home alone , without him and shed tears of a different kind!!!

It was such a good feeling to be able to drop him off with my DD at the contact centre , then LEAVE , not stay week after week and be WATCHED , it is like FREEDOM now too , but with support thankfully!

I am loving it as you can tell and Mr Man is loving Nannys home cooking a bit TOO much and is putting on weight already! lol So will keep an eye on it as he has been the slimmest he has ever been whilst in foster care but was not overweight , just had a GOOD weight to him before , solid and with a BIT of a tummy which I find so cute anyway , but I will not be making him obese of course it is just too much of his favourite dinners for now!! wink LOL

We had a lovely family barbeque today and he was SO HAPPY to see everyone , was a bit upset at contact as he was worried I wouldn't be coming back and of course he has ALWAYS gone home with the FC up till now so I think he was worried she was coming to get him after but he keeps saying ''stay with Nanny'' so I think it is sinking in gradually but not surprising he has worries from the off initially x

hildajenniJ Sat 25-Jul-15 22:03:42

I am so happy for you both. I know what it is like being Granny to autistic boys. They are absolutely lovely but can also be very trying. I really hope that all goes well for you both.

Deedaa Sat 25-Jul-15 21:28:51

How wonderful that things are going so well nannynoo I expect there will be upsets to come but I am sure you can overcome them if you stay as positive and balanced as you are now. I am reminded of the giggles I have with GS2 when we cuddle up on the sofa and watch Clangers. There's no substitute for sheer enjoyment is there?

Lona Sat 25-Jul-15 14:20:38

I bet you keep pinching yourself nannynoo! You deserve every moment of happiness and so does your dgs. I'm so happy for you sunshine