Gransnet forums

Health

anyone else had abnormal results of bowel cancer screening

(151 Posts)
etheltbags1 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:27:02

I seem to be always asking you all for advice but I really appreciate your views. Today I got the results of my bowel cancer screening and it said 'abnormal', they booked me in to see someone in two weeks time. I am scared witless, has anyone else had an 'abnormal' result and not had bowel cancer ?, if so please reassure me.
Any advice welcome, also about the dreaded colonscopy, I have a phobia about hospitals and have no-one to take me or to stay with me at home so have to face it alone.

shysal Fri 28-Nov-14 22:43:01

So sorry to hear the news. Let us hope that if the abnormality is contained in a polyp it will be easily removed for good.

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 21:53:07

I've just caught up with this thread and am so sorry to hear that the result of your investigation was not as you would have hoped. The sooner you can have the scan the better and i agree that it would be a good idea to see if you can get a cancellation. You will need all the support you can get so don't hold back. That's what G'net is good at.

papaoscar Fri 28-Nov-14 21:01:05

You've proved you've got the guts to face your future, etheltbags, and our best wishes are with you. Medical science is much advanced and will help you through this challenging time. Keep in touch.

Grannyknot Fri 28-Nov-14 20:11:41

ethel you did it. That may have been the first step on the road to recovery. flowers

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Nov-14 19:54:07

Oh dear, EthelB what a b****r. As Rowantree said it's worth chasing them up to make sure you're on the list for a cancellation. A bit of nagging won't do any harm.

Things have advanced a lot but it doesn't stop the worry I know, and it's a hell of a thing to get your head around. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight. flowers

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 19:50:02

I have forgotten how many years ago it is that my friend had her bowel cancer removed - she is so well that we all forget about it.

Stay in touch - we are all here - we may only be "virtual" but we are rooting for you.

nightowl Fri 28-Nov-14 19:45:52

Sending you ((hugs)) and very best wishes etheltbags. As others have said, don't look back, keep looking forward. Take heart that treatment for bowel cancer is now so much better and we can all tell you of success stories. Keep coming back if you need support flowers

etheltbags1 Fri 28-Nov-14 19:40:21

ok Lona, might take you up on that, I may be on at 2am cos I cant see myself sleeping tonight.

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 19:38:50

etheltbags1 Well done from me too, for going through with it even though you were scared.
This must seem like the end of the world, but I'm sure you will be treated well and as soon as possible now.
We will send all our positive thoughts and best wishes so keep in touch with us. (((hugs))) flowers

Soutra Fri 28-Nov-14 19:35:07

Etheltbags -respect for facing your fears and having the test done. I hope the biopsy results are back soon so that (if necessary) the next stage of your treatment can be started. In the meantime {{hugs}and warmest wishes from us all. I have 2 ladies in my Thursday group who had surgery for bowel cancer within the last 3-4 years and both have made an excellent recovery, looking the picture of health.
6years ago this weekend DH was rushed to A&E with severs abdominal pains and had emergency surgery for a perforated small bowel(due to a tumour)- he is still here and his "guts" are the least of his problems!!

grannyactivist Fri 28-Nov-14 19:29:51

etheltbags well done on keeping the appointment and although the result isn't what you hoped for you are now in a better situation than you were before. The doctors, nurses and other staff will do their very best to get you into the system and being treated as quickly as possible. In the meantime, here we all are wishing you well and offering advice and support as needed. flowers

etheltbags1 Fri 28-Nov-14 19:26:32

many thanks to you all it is easier to express feelings to strangers than to your own family who also need support.
xxx I mean 'strangers' in the nicest possible way, meaning people you don't know personally

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 19:19:00

Well done for facing an investigation that filled you with dread; and for advising others to face it without fear if they have to have one. I am sure that this will be of great benefit to others.

One step at a time now - put yourself in the hands of those who know what they are doing. The staff were good to you today and others will be there to support you throughout whatever the future holds.

Do get on to the websites and take advantage of all the support that is out there.

And stick with GNet - we are all with you.

rosequartz Fri 28-Nov-14 19:08:38

ethel well done for being so brave. flowers

Presumably they have taken a biopsy of the polyp to be sent off for biopsy and they did not tell you there and then that it was cancerous so there is a chance it is not.
www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/publications/colonoscopy-investigation.pdf

Let's hope you get your next appointment asap, and yes, do ring up for any cancellations.

We are with you in spirit!

Lynker Fri 28-Nov-14 19:05:52

Sorry to hear about your results Ethel. I don't think that you will have to wait long between appointments once a diagnosis is confirmed. Try and keep positive and take things one step at a time. Wishing you lots of strength to cope with this and courage to do what needs to be done to get well. Hugs and best wishes to you at this difficult time.

Rowantree Fri 28-Nov-14 18:52:16

If I were you I'd keep ringing the hospital to ask if they've had any cancellations. Let them know that you would like this scan ASAP and just how anxious and terrified you are. Don't worry about being a nuisance phoning either. Your health is the most important thing.
And try not to blame yourself for not going for tests earlier. As Bellasnana says, we all put things off when we 'ought' to face them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Forget the past, forget self-blame - you are here, now, and this present moment is all you have to deal with, for now.

In the meantime, why not seek out some comfort and support from organisations like these, if you haven't before:

www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx

www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/

www.patient.co.uk/support/bowel-cancer-uk

I'm sure there are others, but you will be able to equip yourself with options and enlist some help in case of worst-case scenario. Fear of the unknown is often one of the worst aspects - not knowing what to expect, what treatments there are, what support is out there and so on.

And keep posting here. There will always be someone to listen. X

Charleygirl Fri 28-Nov-14 18:46:36

I think you will find if the result is +ve that surgery will be brought forward quite quickly. A pity that you had not discussed it with GNs earlier as we would have nagged you to get it done sooner!flowers

rubysong Fri 28-Nov-14 18:45:52

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get this dealt with, Ethelbags and the outcome is good. Keep us all updated on your progress. We will all be sending you good wishes.

etheltbags1 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:39:11

I have to wait another 2 weeks for scan then goodness how long for surgery. I suppose its no good complaining as I left it so long before I went. I was scared of having a colonoscopy, now I would have a dozen if the results were different.

Rowantree Fri 28-Nov-14 18:35:43

Bless you, ethelbags. Remember that these days treatment is far more successful than in years gone by. Easy to say, I know, but one step at a time, eh? I have an old friend whose cancer had spread to the liver from the bowel - but it seems to have receded so far after treatment that she's been totally fine for the last few years and making the most of her life. Big hugs to you for the weeks and months to come. Wishing you strength and courage and lots of love. flowers

Charleygirl Fri 28-Nov-14 18:34:34

I am so sorry to hear that your fear was such that you have put it off for 2 years. I agree, the prep is worse than the actual procedure. Hugs from me also.

Bellasnana Fri 28-Nov-14 18:33:40

etheltbags - my sister, like you, ignored symptoms for a couple of years and had to have surgery for bowel cancer. Whilst it wasn't very pleasant, they did eradicate it, so please take heart. I hope you will be able to have treatment ASAP and that you will come out of it fit and well. Don't be hard on yourself either, we all put things off when we shouldn't, the point is you have done something about it now and that's the main thing. Have courage, we are all here wishing you all the best flowers

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 18:30:32

<hugs>
I dont know anything about this, so will leave others to say things.
I am replying until someone else comes along.

etheltbags1 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:23:59

Had colonoscopy and it was no probs, the prep on the previous day was the worst. I told them how scared I was and the nurse and the doc explained in detail what was to happen, I was awake throughout and can remember most of what happened, it was over too quickly though as they had found a polyp so big they couldn't remove, almost certainly cancerous, I have now to have a body scan to determine how far it has spread and am facing surgery.
Xmas is cancelled in my house.
Please anyone who needs to go for one of these tests do go, I was the biggest coward ever but should have gone earlier. I had symptoms for 2 years and just hoped it was nothing. I have been such a fool

shysal Thu 27-Nov-14 22:35:40

Soon be over, etheltbags! Remember we will be with you in spirit. flowers