Gransnet forums

Health

Depression 2

(293 Posts)
Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 17:01:57

I just do not know what to do. I have got so much worse and just spend my time sitting about sobbing. There is no fleeting moment day or night when I feel well. I just do not know what I can do.

I tried the sertraline but became weepy and agitated and very nauseous, so I had to stop it. The beta blocker is stopping the heart arrhythmia but I fear might be part of the reason for my depression getting so much worse. I have decided to try going back on the dosulepin that I used to take for my migraine - it is an anti-depressant too and I just have to hope it will mix OK with the beta-blocker. My GP is away at the moment and I don't want to talk with his partner as he is so gung-ho - I really feel I could not cope with him. But I cannot do nothing.

I feel completely desperate - this illness is just taking my life away and I can see no end to it. I was having good days and bad, but now it is all bad and I do not know what to do.

If anyone else has been in this situation and has even a glimmer of hope to offer me I would be so grateful.

Anne58 Fri 06-Feb-15 00:56:13

Oh bum, bugger and worse words! Can't find it, perhaps some kind GN'er might be able to help?

Daily Telegraph, Marina (I think) Fogle.

Anne58 Fri 06-Feb-15 00:43:46

mishap I think from some posts that you have already remembered the article , but if you think it might be of benefit I could find a link to it?

Mishap Thu 05-Feb-15 22:18:03

Thank you everyone for your helpful posts. It certainly is a help to be able to "talk" on gransnet and I am grateful for all the encouragement I receive. I will google the Time to Talk and see what I find. Thank you for flagging that up.

annsixty Thu 05-Feb-15 19:41:36

Please don't despair Mishap I really can't imagine how you feel but you have had some good days and I hope they get more frequent and the bad days start to decrease. You have to believe that and look forward to some improvement. Perhaps if you get the old migraine treatment back on track that will improve the other things.

KatyK Thu 05-Feb-15 19:35:15

Mishap flowers I see that today is National Time to Talk Day. It is aimed at helping people with depression etc just to talk to someone about how they are feeling. There has been some stuff on TV about it today. I hope it helps you to come on here and 'talk' Mishap.

Mishap Thu 05-Feb-15 19:32:08

Could you remind me about the article phoenix please? - I am not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

The 3 days of migraine have sent me down the pan - the connection between the migraine and the depression is very clear in my mind. Some of the symptoms overlap - weakness, nausea etc. I think if I could just kill off the migraines I might stand a chance.

The puzzling thing is that I felt so well last week - really almost back to normal - and I have no inkling of what triggered that. It just happened when I woke up one morning. Usually ant-ds produce a steady improvement once they have got into the system - but this was like turning a switch. Being out of control of it is one of the hardest things.

Mishap Thu 05-Feb-15 19:25:57

Things are not great today really - lots of weepiness this evening and feeling jittery and weak all day (possibly due to upping the anti-D last night). Saw the CBT person who is offering 16 sessions with a post-traumatic focus. She says that I already doing all the things that might help my depression i.e. getting up and about and going for walks when I feel grim - she said that is what they would advise. It made me feel a bit despondent really as doing these things in no way gets rid of the depression - it is still there. It is just my way of refusing to give in to it. It made me feel that really no-one knows how to make it go away.

I am so sensitive to various drugs that it is hard to know what to do.

It's a cruel illness. I sometimes wonder if it is ever going to leave me alone.

Anne58 Thu 05-Feb-15 17:40:09

Mishap sorry to hear that things aren't so good. Think back to that article I told you about, it had some good advice. Put your (metaphorical) wellies on. flowers

loopylou Thu 05-Feb-15 17:09:56

Hi Mishap how are you feeling today?
Do hope things are a bit better x

Mishap Wed 04-Feb-15 15:10:22

Thanks - I am taking heart from the fact that although I feel low I have been a good deal worse in the past, so hopefully I will be climbing back up from a higher place, if you see what I mean. I have been out walking/limping in the sunshine and trying to fight it.

Anya Wed 04-Feb-15 14:50:46

Your DD didn't know how the video would make you feel, but she obviously values your opinion and judgement. Hold on to that endorsement Mishap it is worth a lot flowers

Spring is coming soon. Lighter nights, Warner days. Leaves on the tress, flowers in the garden. Things being reborn. Hang on in there.

loopylou Wed 04-Feb-15 12:36:45

Must have been heartbreaking to hear, even more so when you're unable to do much/anything to help.
The 'thin layer of wellness' will repair quickly I hope, x

Mishap Wed 04-Feb-15 12:14:21

Thank you for your support - it is appreciated. Bugger indeed.

My username was not intended to be a jinx, nor does it relate to unfortunate occurrences. It is simply an amalgam of maiden initials, preceded by Mis(s).

My DGS has had problems for many years and I have done my very best to help them. My DD sent the recording of him in meltdown to seek my help again. I know that she would not have sent it if she realised how vulnerable I still am - I have been lots better, but it is clear that it is a thin layer of wellness. She could not have known that and would hate to think that she had been a factor in my going downhill again. But I hate to think that I cannot go on helping. The poor wee chap sounded so very sad.

NfkDumpling Wed 04-Feb-15 11:51:27

I really think that it's time you changed your GN name. I feel sure it's jinxed!

NfkDumpling Wed 04-Feb-15 11:48:15

Bugger!

Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger!

janerowena Wed 04-Feb-15 11:44:59

Oh mishap, I am sorry. Is your DGC ok now? Because sometimes they are ok and forget to tell us and we are still busy worrying about them.

You need a brain break where the world can't get at you for a while, I think.

KatyK Wed 04-Feb-15 11:41:50

Sorry you have had a setback Mishap flowers

kittylester Wed 04-Feb-15 11:37:37

Nothing to offer but (((hugs))) and lots of love and best wishes for you and for your DGC. It will get better again. brewflowers

loopylou Wed 04-Feb-15 11:25:33

Oh dear Mishap, so sorry to hear you're having a blip, but hardly surprising if the audio file was so upsetting, you had a 3 day migraine as well as a change in treatment for your bowel problems.
I'm sure this is one of those backward flips and you'll make up lost ground quickly.
Can you rearrange your cancelled plans for tonight so you have something to look forward too?
Be kind to yourself, it's not unusual in depression.
I do know how it feels and how utterly awful it feels so I really hope you'll feel better very soon, flowers, ((hugs)) for you x

Mishap Wed 04-Feb-15 11:03:55

OK - here we go.

I am back to square one and am a weeping heap this morning. I know what triggered it. I received an audio file of one of my DGC in great distress (just don't ask) a few days ago and it triggered a 3 day migraine which I am just beginning to surface from. This seems to have plunged me into the depths again - I cannot tell you how dreadful it is to have the carrot of being well dangled in front of me and then to have it snatched away. I just do not know what to do now.

I have had to cancel something for tonight that I felt was a real milestone in my recovery so that is not helping. And (see another thread) the treatment for my squits has been taken off the market so I have to endure that as well, knowing there is nothing to be done.

I am trying very hard to stay positive and remember that the depression went away once so can go again. But it is a huge disappointment.

Anne58 Tue 03-Feb-15 17:38:13

I think you may be in breach of the T's & C's.

daynighthealthcare Tue 03-Feb-15 17:36:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 18:10:05

Thank you for your kind words.

It is good to feel that I am alive again and ready to face all the things that are being thrown at me. New treatment starting for my IBS (which is caused by not absorbing bile salts) tomorrow so I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to keep fit in some other way than dashing to the loo!

And the anti-D should if I am lucky prevent too many migraines. But my skeleton seems to be merrily crumbling away - hey-ho.

You have all been a tower of strength for me. Good old gransnetters!

mrshat Sun 01-Feb-15 17:17:54

Wonderful news Mishap (except for the Migraine!) Keep on the onwards and upwards trail.
Good news for you too Pompa. Hopefully the consultant will sort the 'clunk'.
flowers and sunshine to you both.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:32:16

Sorry about the migraine, mishap. Minibags is fit for nothing when she has one flowers

Glad you're over the hump with the depression though.

And, pompa, regards to you too. Hope your visit to the consultant sorts the clunks out flowers