Gransnet forums

Health

Knees & Hips

(164 Posts)
pompa Mon 02-Mar-15 07:42:09

Seeing consultant in an hour regarding my knee op. It seems to have settled down at last, still getting an unpleasant clunking but others tell me they have the same problem, will ask about it. Also even 6 months on, a small part of the scar still bleeds.
But all in all I'm happy with it.

annodomini Sat 24-Oct-15 21:00:58

Welcome CarolJose1. Lots of us here have had hip replacements. Mine is now ten years old and going strong. My only gripe is that it sets off the alarms at airport security and they insist on patting me down! But it's a small price to pay for absence of pain.
I hope you find a weight-loss programe that suits you - just don't be tempted by faddy crash diets! I have been losing weight recently with Weightwatchers On-line. I also found the 5:2 diet very effective a few years ago. I am a serial dieter and would like to get down to a sensible weight and stay there! Good luck to you. smile

Luckygirl Sat 24-Oct-15 20:26:02

A small word of warning - whilst 99% of hip replacements go well, I have been less lucky. Over a year later I am still in pain - and have some new pains that did not exist before. My aim of being able to stand to sing or conduct pain free has not been achieved. The only gain that I have achieved is that my hip no longer locks in place.

shysal Sat 24-Oct-15 20:21:59

Welcome, CarolJose1, I hope you will enjoy GN. I have no experience of your situation, but a neighbour was in a similar position. She managed to lose 2.5 stone on the 5:2 diet and went on to have her hip replacement, making a rapid recovery before having the second one done. She is a determined lady in her 80s, and worked hard at the diet and recommended exercises, which paid off.
I hope all goes well for you. There will be plenty of support on here. flowers

CarolJose1 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:12:23

Just joined Gransnet. Not sure how,this forum thing works. Waiting for a hip replacement but consultant refuses to do it till I've lost 2stone . Would welcome support + has anyone had a similar experience?

Alea Tue 29-Sep-15 08:26:48

Reported

randyparker Tue 29-Sep-15 08:15:10

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Apr-15 14:45:45

Rememeber that you will need a firm cushion for the car.

NotTooOld Mon 13-Apr-15 13:33:20

Hi, Ariadne. You live in a nice part of the world. This is just a quick visit to see some friends who live in Torquay.

Ariadne Mon 13-Apr-15 13:25:38

NoTooOld if you're coming down to Devon - I live in Bideford....smile

NotTooOld Mon 13-Apr-15 13:21:25

I did check about the pillow and the answer was no, no pillow. Who am I to question the word of God? grin Actually, I am not planning on doing it just yet.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Apr-15 13:04:57

I am totally amazed that he is allowing you to lie on your side without a pillow between, especially as your hip is uncemented and you are at the 5 week stage.

NotTooOld Mon 13-Apr-15 12:53:32

Saw the consultant this morning at 5 weeks post-op (THR). I had my long list of questions and made him answer them even though he was running half an hour late. He was obviously rushed but did give me answers, so I am reporting back as I said I would.

I can stop taking the Rivaroxaban now as it is causing itching, however, I only have 4 tabs to go so I will stick with it.

I can leave off the stockings in one week's time, ie 6 weeks post-op.

I should continue taking paracetamol if I need it - I do, some days.

I must stick to the 90 degs rule until 5-6 months post-op.

I should no longer need chair/loo raisers after 4 months.

I can sleep on my side now but not cross legs until 6 months post-op.

I can drive next week.

I can travel to Devon at the end of this month and I can fly to Spain at the end of June.

I'm disappointed about the stockings but I'm healing well and walking with just a stick now so must not complain.

Hope this is helpful to others either contemplating THR or recovering from it. Thanks to all those who have given me advice along the way.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Apr-15 19:42:26

Mishap - will do. x

Mishap Tue 07-Apr-15 19:35:23

You sound to me as though you are doing really well NTO - let me know if you succeed in getting answers to your questions.

Charley - I have sent of for two pairs of elastic laces!

NotTooOld Tue 07-Apr-15 19:32:57

Exactly, Mishap! Hence my pestering of everyone on this thread. I was told I could phone the hospital ward at any time if I had a query and I did try that in the early days - I phoned to ask when I could leave off the surgical stockings. Unfortunately, I got to speak to a nurse who's English I could barely understand (lovely though she was) so I didn't entirely trust the answer. Good job I didn't as I think she said to leave them on for two weeks and, in fact, I now think it is six weeks.

Mishap Tue 07-Apr-15 19:27:02

The problem I find is that I was told all the precautions, but not when I could stop them!

NotTooOld Tue 07-Apr-15 19:25:43

pompa - never fear, I fully intend to stick to the 90 deg rule for as long as I am told to do so. I may sound a flighty piece but I am not actually mad! grin However, it is nice to know that I probably won't have to stick to it for ever. The 90 deg rule is already on my list of questions for the consultant next Monday. I will come back and tell you all what he said.

PS DH and I are referring to the consultant as 'God' at the moment.

pompa Tue 07-Apr-15 19:20:34

NTO. You are still in the early stages of recovery. It is important to adhere to the rules and keep up the exercises. Gradually you will find that you will become more flexible without it causing any pain or discomfort.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Apr-15 18:51:43

Thank you, Tanith. I am relieved that so many of you do not adhere to the 90 deg rule for ever and ever as I find it very inhibiting. Obviously it is sensible to take extra care and I won't be bending the rules at this early stage but I do hope to be less and less of an invalid as time goes on. I'm never afraid of interrogating doctors so I will certainly get some answers to my questions next week. Nice to know that I am not being too much of a nuisance on this thread, though!

tanith Tue 07-Apr-15 18:38:49

I've not worried about the 90* either, if my knees were more bendy I'd be able to touch my chest with my knee. I swim breast stroke (they tell you not to) I stretch before exercise and often touch my toes to stretch . I do it without thinking and its never caused a problem.. I know several 'hippies' who ski, ride and white water canoe all things that might break the 90* .

Its not for everybody of course and its always best to adhere to whatever advise you have been given. I just think once you are recovered and your muscles are once again supporting your hip then everyones experience is down to their own common sense and how their own hip feels...

NotTooOld ask away with your questions it can only help ease your mind..

NotTooOld Tue 07-Apr-15 18:28:15

I was actually given a booklet from the hospital but most of it is devoted to what happens in the operating theatre and to pictures of the exercises. All of that is useful but I could have done with a bit more information about what I should do after leaving hospital - hence all my questions to you lot! Hope I am not too much of a nuisance. I am seeing the consultant again next Monday and will be taking with me a long list of questions for him to answer.

pompa Tue 07-Apr-15 17:23:30

Elastic laces are a good idea, I started using them again when I had my knee replaced. I also use them in my garden shoes, nothing to do with hip.knee, just lazy.

pompa Tue 07-Apr-15 17:20:12

I certainly don't worry about bending my hip beyond 90 deg, I can almost touch my chest with my knee (if I wasn't 18.5 stone, I probably could.), never give it a thought now. Because I had pain in the hip, I went to Doc. He flexed the hip and commented that I had more movement in the replaced one than the normal one. The pain turned out to be bursitis, which has now cleared. I can't think of anything that my hip prevents me from doing.
I had my hip replaced about 8 years ago.

Charleygirl Tue 07-Apr-15 17:05:20

Mishap you should have been told to buy elastic shoe laces, tie them and then put on your shoes using a long handled shoe horn.

annodomini Tue 07-Apr-15 16:44:07

I'm still careful after 9 years, to keep mine at an angle greater than 90 degrees. Sometimes it's an effort to remember not to cross my legs.