Gransnet forums

Health

Advice on hospital stay, please

(44 Posts)
newist Wed 25-Mar-15 17:05:34

Can any of you (very knowledgeable) Gnetters advise and hopefully reassure me? I have just been diagnosed with a kind of skin cancer.
The local doctors have had a go at it, but now it has to be removed.
What I would feel much better knowing is..... I will have anesthetic but wont be completely out, because I have a heart condition and they think this is safer, I would much rather be sound asleep totally unaware of whats happening, so how spaced out will I be? they did say I can have music.
I also would like to know, because its a while since I have been in hospital, what do I take for a stay, They cannot tell me exactly how long I will be in for, which is dependent on recovery time. Being in a distant place I will have to take every thing with me on the plane, with not much chance of getting stuff if I forget anything

Falconbird Fri 27-Mar-15 06:58:28

I've also got quite a few sun hats and I wear a white cardigan all summer. If I get too hot I put the cardi around my shoulders and expose my factor 50 arms. I also wear big sunglasses!!!

I find cut off trousers great in the summer providing I remember to put sun lotion on my legs and feet. I got my feet accidentally burned last year but they were OK.

I hope I look glamorous smile

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-15 23:34:47

I counted my sunhats, Falconbird and somehow have accumulated about ten of them. Very conscious of sun damage since the melanoma situation. I also discovered a large number of long sleeved white shirts in my wardrobe! Oh so glamorous!

Falconbird Thu 26-Mar-15 17:38:28

My auntie was a red head and she had two skin cancers. I wasn't a red head, dark brown, but I had red in my hair. My skin is very fair.

We didn't know back in the day how harmful sun exposure can be. I was really badly burned one summer when I about 8 years old.

The consultant said that was probably when the damage was done.

Needless to say I always wear Factor 50 now and keep well covered up.

Charleygirl Thu 26-Mar-15 17:17:02

Do not forget to stock up your home for your return because as has been said, you will have difficulty with chewing and possibly swallowing to begin with. That is a tricky area to tackle as it can affect so much. Maybe nourishing soups and liquidised food may be needed. Steak, chips and trimmings will be off the menu for a while.

Stock up with what you require before you leave re tea, coffee, washing powder, cleaning materials etc because i doubt if you will fancy straying far for a while. Can you shop on line?

I managed fine on my own having had a total knee rplacement- I am sure that you will be okay but it is an ordeal for you, especially having to fly. Good luck.

newist Thu 26-Mar-15 16:03:39

On my appointment I was surprised, by all the tests I had, Which I wasn't expecting, Heart, blood, and every thing else, also a questionnaire which took ages, so when It was all being discussed I dont think I was as receptive as I could of been in regards to what kind it is, what I think I am saying is it all went in one ear and out the other. Whereas every thing every one has been kind enough to post on here, is being carefully made into a check list, The reassurance I have been given by you all is so helpful,
I am a Ginger haired freckle face, or I was when young, I believed being red with green looking freckles was normal in summer time, so I class my self as being very lucky as to not getting worse than I have

Galen Thu 26-Mar-15 13:06:55

Rodent! Fat finger

Galen Thu 26-Mar-15 13:06:35

R
Ident ulcers are also known as basal cell carcinomas. They're one of the 'better' cancers to have as they rarely produce secondaries and then only after years.

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-15 12:30:40

Considering the situation of the growth, I suggest that you make sure that you have a good supply of drinking straws both in the hospital and at home during the period of healing. When mine was excised a chunk of neck muscle went with it which made it difficult to turn my head! Driving was impossible for a few weeks. As they say, 'no pain, no gain'. flowers and ((((hugs))))

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-15 11:55:01

newist I am sorry that you are having to go through this. There is some good advice here. I would just add if you can make a few notes of any instructions given to you (unless of course they give you written ones) its so easy to forget them and then worry that you haven't followed the after care advice. Good Luck with it all and remember they do this everyday and are experts and all they want is for you to be well again. flowers

Katek Thu 26-Mar-15 09:53:20

Just to say Newist, that my MIL had an entire hip replacement done under sedation and didn't remember much at all. I'm sure everything will be fine. Fab suggestions for your hospital bag above-I'm sure a kind Glasgow G'Netter would help you out if you were desperate for something!! If you're in Inverness I'll send my son!! All the best for your surgery smile

Iam64 Thu 26-Mar-15 09:25:58

I can't add to the excellent suggestions here newist. I had a query skin cancer removed from my leg under a local anaesthetic a couple of years ago. Didn't feel a thing during the procedure, the scar is no longer visible. Good luck x

Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 21:09:21

Newist - do you know what kind of cancer it is? Mine were called Rodent Ulcers and they run in my family. My cousin had at least 6 on his face because he was a yachtsman and exposed to a lot of sun.

It doesn't help having to fly to the hospital. It makes it all so much more complicated for you.

I was thinking of Complan to drink after the op., and there are lots of fortified drinks available which come with straws.

I'm sure the hospital will give you lots of advice on this.

I expect you are feeling a bit overloadeded with information.

On a lighter note you could treat yourself to a really nice overnight bag, you deserve it.

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 20:33:32

That's an awkward place, isn't it? It might be worth thinking about what you'll be able to eat afterwards - soups?

I was only thinking boiled sweets because I find patients sometimes find it works better if your mouth's dry than water, increases salivation.

newist Wed 25-Mar-15 20:27:11

Hello again, I am taking on board (gratefully) all of the advice you have given, I don't know when I shall be going, as I only flew back from Glasgow today, I have had some removed locally but this one is getting bigger and being stubborn. It starts off on my lip then goes towards my nose, I have been warned that it may take 4 month to heal and eating will be a bit difficult to start with

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-15 19:58:26

Hope all goes well newist
I've had sedation for minor surgery and felt nothing & remembered nothing.
But I would take bottled water to sip, rather than boiled sweets for a dry mouth.

harrigran Wed 25-Mar-15 19:37:40

DH had skin cancer on his face and had a local anaesthetic, he attended the hospital on his own and was absolutely fine.

amarmai Wed 25-Mar-15 19:33:29

I also have had skin cancers removed from my forehead -in the dermatologists office with some numbing spray and stitches afterwards. You'll be well supplied for your stay with all those thoughtful suggestions. Love the lavender oil !

rosequartz Wed 25-Mar-15 19:26:53

And lavender oil is supposed to help you sleep!

MiniMouse Wed 25-Mar-15 19:21:36

Lavendar essential oil is lovely for disguising hospital smells - a couple of drops on your pillow or a tissue! Hope it all goes well for you.

Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 19:04:48

I had a skin cancer removed from my forehead some years ago. I was able to go in as a day patient because I lived near the hospital.

My GP had done the same as yours and tried to remove it, so some it was gone. I also had one removed from my leg.

I had a local anesthetic and sat in a sort of dentists chair. It was similar to a long dental treatment. In fact the surgeon (they are usually dermatologists) asked me if I was used to extensive dental work.

I didn't feel a thing and remember talking about the quickest route to a seaside town. I had a huge head bandage on and a huge leg bandage afterwards which looked very dramatic, but I had no pain whatsoever either during the procedure or afterwards.

Luckily I haven't had any more, but the damage was caused by being very sunburned when I was a child.

You will feel great once it's gone and it will be pleasant to have some food brought round for you and to be able to chill out afterwards.

Yes - don't forget your phone charger and make sure you have lots of credit.

As other Grans have said, most hospitals have shops now and Coffee outlets.

Don't worry. The scar on my forehead is next to invisible now, also the one on my leg.

annodomini Wed 25-Mar-15 19:00:44

That's bad luck, newist. How soon do you have to go to the hospital? I had a malignant melanoma ten years ago - on the nape of my neck. It was excised in the Christie Hospital dermatology outpatients under a very successful local anaesthetic. Stitches were so neat an tiny that our district nurse had trouble getting them out. Good luck to you. I'm sure you will have the very best of treatment in Glasgow. I hope you have someone to go with you and pick you up.

rosequartz Wed 25-Mar-15 18:43:43

newist all the best and I am sure they will look after you well.
ana there was a sort of 'grid' style shower mat in the shower which looked a bit suspect so I vowed to take flipflops or net beach shoes in with me next time (I hope there won't be a next time but that is optimistic).

A very good point about the key vegas!

vegasmags Wed 25-Mar-15 18:28:04

Poor you newist - sorry to hear you've got to go through this. I'm guessing that, like me, you live alone and if that is the case don't forget your front door key.

Charleygirl Wed 25-Mar-15 18:21:44

Also extra cash in case you need to get a mini cab ? home or to a train station when discharged after the procedure.

You will be lucky if you manage to warm the bed before you are discharged!

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Mar-15 18:19:06

What about ear phones so you can watch your own choice of tv programs on your tablet downloaded from iplayer. Download them before you go. Save cost of renting hospital tv ...in case you were considering renting.
Good luck.
It will be easier than you think.