Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone on Montelukast??

(11 Posts)
Claudiaclaws Sun 26-Apr-15 23:07:19

I have been taking Montelukast for years and I don't think it has any side effects at all. I am pretty sure it should be taken at night.

Katek Sun 26-Apr-15 21:42:46

Have now been on this for a week and I do think the cough has lessened although not completely gone. GP said to come back in four weeks so that's why I was wondering how long it took to reach full effect. I did feel a little 'odd' at the beginning of the week-nothing I could put my finger on, I just wasn't myself. That seems to have passed now though.

I live a different life every night in my dreams so I wouldn't notice any difference there!

Onwards and upwards!

Tegan Sun 26-Apr-15 10:54:21

I'm sure someone I knew said it caused vivid dreams, but was still the best thing they'd ever been prescribed and couldn't praise it high enough.

EllenMay Sun 26-Apr-15 09:25:40

I have been taking it for years, Katek, for my rhinitis and asthma so I can't recall how long before it started to work. The important lesson I have had to learn over the years is to remember to take my medication, including asthma inhalers, every day even if I don't have symptoms. A couple of asthma attacks serve as a sharp reminder!

Montelukast is part of my preventative medication regime and, for me, it works reasonably well, although I still have to top up with antihistamines when the pollen count is high.

Can't comment on Tegan's post about dreams. I have always had vivid dreams so no change there!

Judthepud2 Sun 26-Apr-15 09:11:09

The effect kicked in very quickly, within days, I think. Tegan interesting you should say that, as I have been having a lot of vivid dreams recently, not all of them pleasant! Didn't connect it with the drug. hmm

Tegan Sun 26-Apr-15 00:29:05

Can it tend to give people bad dreams for a while [or am I thinking of something else?].

Katek Sat 25-Apr-15 22:27:18

Good to hear some very positive stories about this med. Thanks for the encouragement! How long did you find it took to work....days or weeks?

Judthepud2 Sat 25-Apr-15 05:49:20

Was put on this drug recently, about a month ago, along with a preventative inhaler. After radiotherapy, I developed asthma due to scarring on my lung. It took 5 years and a serious bout of pneumonia to get any medical acknowledgement of the problem and I was continuously breathless after any exertion. A cold always developed into chest problems. Now, a month into this regime, I have NO breathing problems. I can walk and swim without gasping for breath after a few minutes. Amazing new lease of life, and no side effects that I have noticed yet! Hope it works as well for you, Katek

EllenMay Fri 24-Apr-15 20:03:21

I have been taking Montelukast for a number of years - before that I had a steroid nasal spray which I used twice a day so I was happy to come off that. I have not had any problems with Montelukast. My symptoms haven't gone away completely but they have improved and I have not experienced any side effects. I would say it is worth trying, Katek flowers

vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-15 18:55:08

Our son (7) takes Montelukast every day along with his serotide. It helps to reduce allergic responses. He's been on it since he was a tiny baby.

Katek Sun 12-Apr-15 14:21:18

I've been plagued with sinus issues since last July and the cough I had pre-Xmas is still with me. Had the chest x-Ray which is fine, thank goodness. Doctor now thinks I have allergic rhinitis which is causing post nasal drip and hence the cough. I am asthmatic and already take Symbicort abd salbutamol inhalers, but doc wants to add in Montelukast to reduce allergic responses.
I'm not very good with new medication, always a little wary, and just wondered if anyone has some positive experiences with this drug.