Gransnet forums

Health

Calcium + Vitamin D supplements

(13 Posts)
AshTree Tue 04-Aug-15 08:53:16

I also take two Adcal tablets daily - I hadn't heard anything about new guidelines on this hmm. Will have to check with my GP. I have, however, recently had another dexa scan, which showed no signs of osteoporosis, so I wouldn't feel too worried about cutting down to 1 a day.

whitewave Tue 04-Aug-15 07:21:15

I have voluntarily decided to take vit. D after listening to a couple of Drs talking about it on radio 4 a couple of years ago. I was convinced by their arguments after doing further research and now take it all year around.

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 22:38:05

I was prescribed AdCal to counteract the bone-thinning effects of steroids. However, I now have osteoporosis in the left hip, so am now very, very careful to avoid slips, trips and falls. My right hip already is prosthetic.

Charleygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 22:16:39

I also take 2 Adcal D3 tablets a day. Most days this year (summer!) when we had sunshine I was out, trying to get my Vit D supply. I also have osteopenia but it was all a waste of time because I have a broken bone due to thinning of same bone.

Ana Mon 03-Aug-15 21:59:50

I have osteopenia too and have googled the dosage myself just now - can't find any info about only one tablet being recommended!

Hmm...will have to ask my GP about this, I just took her word for it (as you do).

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:57:09

Oh flipping eck Ana. I'm having a quick catch up before bed and came across this thread. I'm on two AdCal tbs a day - I live in an area where sun is vanishingly rare and my gp reckons random blood tests in February will confirm all of us to be Vit D deficient. I have osteo pina/arthritis and take 2 AdCals a day - off to google.

Ana Mon 03-Aug-15 21:26:51

My GP says they only recommend one AdCal tablet today because of new guidelines (can't remember what risk two a day carried, I'm afraid).

I was on two but now only one.

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 21:23:49

I have AdCal on prescription. It contains 'small quantities of sucrose'. I take it that this is minimal as there's no warning on the package for diabetics. Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten to take my second dose of the day.

Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:19:04

jingl grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Aug-15 20:17:07

Crossed posts

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Aug-15 20:16:36

Wouldn't the sugar be minimal?

My Boots ones have got Maltodextrin and sucrose. Nothing compared to the top layer of Cadburys Milk Tray I've just scoffed

Ana Mon 03-Aug-15 20:13:44

I wouldn't have thought the amount of sucrose in a tablet or two would make much difference.

Why is it imperative that you find one without sugar, and couldn't your GP or pharmacy advise?

NannyMaga Mon 03-Aug-15 19:59:11

Help - I have been taking a calcium and vitamin D supplement (on prescription) for a number of years but am now looking for one that doesn't contain sugar. Has anyone found one please.