Gransnet forums

Health

Would you like to live for another 50 years?

(79 Posts)
starbird Sun 29-Nov-15 18:55:35

I read in today's paper that a common drug that costs 10p a day may enable some people to live 50% longer. They will be starting trials on 70 and 80 year olds. Personally I would not want to live that much longer, would you?

granjura Wed 02-Dec-15 23:07:02

before the vote, perhaps. Now definitely not.

Leticia Wed 02-Dec-15 15:32:25

The country couldn't afford it!
Either pensions are paid longer or we stay in jobs and that stops young people getting jobs.
It is the natural order of things.
Even those fit and with all faculties get tired and can't do the simple things they used to manage.

Lilygran Tue 01-Dec-15 15:29:17

Until I was over 120? I don't think so!

Lapwing Tue 01-Dec-15 14:44:47

Definitely NO - I really do not think that that planet or the pension system could cope with us all living until we are 130 or 150 years old even is we manage to stay fit and healthy.

chrissyh Tue 01-Dec-15 14:31:52

The way the world is going - no thanks.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 14:29:10

If people are enjoying life, why shouldn't they want it to continue? Given decent health of course. And most posters have said that.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 14:27:34

hmm Who the flip said we wanted to take part in their lives?! I think it's more a case of wanting to watch from the sidelines.

There is nothing beautiful about death being round the corner!!! grin

And Mindfulness is nothing to do with pondering death. hmm

MargaretX Tue 01-Dec-15 10:16:11

Those of you who are wanting to see your grandchildren grow up in order to take part in their lives should take a step back in my opinion. These are young people who will leave us all behind - like we did our grandparents. Enjoy them NOW. Make the most of it. The beauty of life is that death is round the corner. it is life's only certainty.
Actually until our generation most people realised this and now its called Mindfullness and you can learn it in courses.
I know I should be on the Philosophy thread but all this talk about lengthening life has brought it on.

Royandsyl Tue 01-Dec-15 07:23:59

It is a crazy idea. The N.H. cannot afford to buy drugs now that some sick people need! I would hate to live longer. The world is becoming sadder now with all the wars etc.c

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Dec-15 07:21:03

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I would like to continue with 'life' and take it one day at a time. But on the other hand, I would have concerns about my health holding up and wouldn't want to be living on my own. I don't think about it much, but I dread my DH going first. I think I would like to live longer, but only if the right to die was allowed.

TwiceAsNice Tue 01-Dec-15 06:26:44

I would love to live longer if I was well I feel sad to think I probably won't see my beautiful grandchildren live much into adulthood ( me not them!) If I could stay healthy enough that would be brilliant.

I am a type 2 diebetic for the last 3 years controlled perfectly by Metformin the drug they are talking about it would be good if a side effect was longer life for me ( probably doesn't work out like that) I am not afraid of dying but I love my life, don't want to go until I absolutely have to.

Falconbird Tue 01-Dec-15 06:09:11

I would love to live for another 50 years but only if I had the health and strength I had in my 30s now that would be great.

Elegran Mon 30-Nov-15 23:24:32

From the horse's mouth -

The new clinical trial called Targeting Aging with Metformin, or TAME, is scheduled to begin in the US next winter.

www.healthspancampaign.org/2015/04/28/dr-nir-barzilai-on-the-tame-study/

MargaretX Mon 30-Nov-15 23:03:20

The only biology( do they mean research) that I know of which caused flies to live twice as long was to cut down their food- And drastically.
Now there are so many people short of food who are not living longer so that obviously doesn't work.

My experience of witnessing very old age is not something I want for myself, and as for seeing grandchildren grew up and become mature adults -Well when they are grown up they will not wanting to be with grandma aged over 100.
Grandma will be with the other people over a 100 years old and that will be really jolly and something we can all look forward to.

On the other hand when I see how the world is developing I often feel relieved that I won't be here to see how my descendants are coping with climate change and food shortages and a world of robots and artificial food.

Ana Mon 30-Nov-15 18:43:39

grin

No thanks!

rosequartz Mon 30-Nov-15 18:40:06

Side Effects. Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea

hmm 50 years of diarrhoea?

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 18:39:04

hulahoop my thoughts exactly and the answer to that is no they do not appear to.

rosequartz Mon 30-Nov-15 18:37:58

I wondered that too hulahoop, one of my friends takes that I think.

Ginny42 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:35:56

Yes please! As my daughter and her husband adopted a little boy when I was 69 and now I'm 73, I want to live as long as possible to enjoy being with them and see him grow into a young man.

I'm doing all I can to eat a healthy diet and look after myself and I would swallow a pill to extend my life for as long as I stayed well.

hulahoop Mon 30-Nov-15 18:32:11

Might be a bit thick but does that mean diabetics already taking the drug metformin should live longer ?

NanaRayna Mon 30-Nov-15 17:56:56

Yes please. I'd like to know what happens next...

Tessa101 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:32:38

I would love that... Got so much more I want to do. My mind is 20 years younger than my body so I have to keep reminding myself I am nearing my sixties. As long as I'm healthy bring it on.

GeminiJen Mon 30-Nov-15 17:17:15

Extracts from the Telegraph article (+ my apologies...I need to learn how to do links!)

"Trials of the world’s first anti-ageing drug are set to start in 2016, potentially paving the way for humans to live until they reach 120 years old.
The common diabetes drug metformin has already been proven to prolong the life of animals and has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S for human clinical trials starting next year. If successful, it could spell the end of diseases associated with ageing such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
If the drug was to prove successful in humans, it could effectively mark the beginning of a new era of medicine where ageing itself is treated with medication, rather than specific conditions. Slowing down the ageing process would theoretically slow down any associated diseases, say experts. This could potentially raise life expectancy, up to 120, it is claimed. The drug being tested - metformin - costs just 10p a day.

Describing the process as ‘revolutionary’, study advisor Professor Gordon Lithgow of the Buck Institute for Research on Ageing in California said:
“I have been doing research into ageing for 25 years and the idea that we would be talking about a clinical trial in humans for an anti-ageing drug would have been though inconceivable...But there is every reason to believe it’s possible. The future is taking the biology that we’ve now developed and applying it to humans. 20 years ago ageing was a biological mystery. Now we are starting to understand what is going on.”

thatbags Mon 30-Nov-15 17:15:57

The important word in the 'report' about the drug is MAY. I always read such things as "probably won't when they've done some real trials with real people".

And my answer is no.

Leticia Mon 30-Nov-15 17:02:12

No! I don't know anyone in extreme old age that does.