Gransnet forums

Health

Damned if you do- damned if you don't!

(18 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 09:36:42

I mean the consultants have the training and experience....

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 09:35:59

I agree with that ja. There is too much leaving it up to the patient these days. They are the ones with the training, and the experience.

janeainsworth Sat 28-May-16 07:35:01

It's the sort of situation where I would say to the consultant 'If I were your mother what would you be telling me to do.'
I think that these days, consultants are too wary of giving patients real advice, because they are frightened of being sued if there is an unfavourable outcome.
Laying out the options and telling the patient to choose is not good enough, IMHO. Most patients do not have enough knowledge of the biology or the science, or the ability to interpret statistics or the meaning of risk, to make a rational decision.

In your brother's situation n&g I would not want the Sword of Damocles hanging over me, though as we get older, we all do, in a sense.
But 50 is young, really.

rubylady Fri 27-May-16 21:35:06

Sorry, had a stent put in place at 60, she's 76 now.

rubylady Fri 27-May-16 21:34:26

Yes, I would chose the op too as a stroke is terrible but not dead. My mother had the same thing, and has a stent in place at age 60.

Anya Fri 27-May-16 19:55:16

Kitty sad

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-May-16 19:32:05

Thank you all. Just nice to get a sanity check smile

I'm sorry to hear about your sonKitty , we really do know how lucky our brother was, your son was so young x

harrigran Fri 27-May-16 18:55:30

At fifty and fit think I would opt for the operation.

nigglynellie Fri 27-May-16 18:14:26

I would certainly opt for the operation, no question about it. Yes it's a risk, but much better than living under a cloud however vague for the rest of his life. Very best of luck for all your family esp your brother. (hugs)

tanith Fri 27-May-16 16:53:09

Thankyou NanaandGrampy she was a very lucky girl. I hope your brothers outcome is good too whichever way he decides.

kittylester Fri 27-May-16 16:45:30

Sorry, did that in a rush - my son is still alive although he suffered life changing brain damage.

kittylester Fri 27-May-16 16:44:20

My son had a dissecting aneurysm at the age of 35. I know he would have opted for surgery had he foreseen the future. So, I think you gave the right advice.

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-May-16 16:32:39

Great point Synonymous !!

Isn't it funny how switching it round makes it so much better.

I'm glad Tanith that your grandsons wife is doing well.

I can't imagine life without my brother. There are 4 of us 'kids' and he and my sister are twins and the youngest. My Mum totally favoured him openly above us girls and yet we have never once begrudged his status as a Demi God smile.

I don't know anyone who has ever had a bad word to say about him, one of nicest people I know even though I'm biased as his big sister?

Thank you all, I just needed a little voice of sanity !! I'll let you know how he goes .

grannylyn65 Fri 27-May-16 15:47:19

Good advice as per Synony! x

Synonymous Fri 27-May-16 15:40:30

So sorry to hear that, it certainly is a toughie! flowers
For myself I would have the op with 90% chance of NOT having a stroke on the table because those are pretty good odds really. Thankfully the decision is entirely his and you have only told him what you would choose to do yourself if it was you in his position and so have not actually given him advice as to what he should do.
We certainly do know how to hit ourselves over things and give ourselves sleepless nights don't we! hmm

tanith Fri 27-May-16 15:37:47

My choice would be the same as yours NanaandGrampy, in a similar situation my grandsons wife of 26 had a brain aneurysm 2yrs ago, she luckily managed to call an ambulance before collapsing at home alone.
She was in hospital for a couple of weeks and was left with lots of after affects, they found a bundle of arteries that had burst and they said to wait a year and then they would scan it again , she was still having some problems and after the scan the consultant said it was still there and they would need to obliterate it with laser surgery or she could live with it but it could rupture again any time so rather than live with it hanging over her she opted for the surgery even though she was scared witless. Surgery was done and everything went fine and now another year later she is waiting to see if it is completely gone . She still has some residual balance problems and some sight problems but otherwise has picked up her life, job and is driving agian. So she is happy with the decision she made .
I hope your advice helps your brother with his difficult decision and do come back and let us know how things go.

Charleygirl Fri 27-May-16 15:35:33

I had provisionally opted for the surgery before reading what your thoughts were. I agree totally that death is rather final. The odds are still in his favour.

Also if it were me and I did not have the surgery, I would be thinking almost on a daily basis- I do hope that the stent does not leak- I think that a lot of enjoyment would go out of my life having this cloud hanging over me.

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-May-16 15:21:40

My brother sent me a message yesterday asking my advice , we're a close family and so this isn't unusual.

This is the background.

He's 50. Very fit , always has been. 10 years ago he collapsed playing 5 a side football. Was rushed to hospital with a brain aneurysm. At the time the surgeon told us how lucky he was , 2 out of 3 patients die before even reaching hospital. The ward was full of poor souls who had similar problems and were much more badly affected than my brother.

It took him a year to recover. They put a stent in and gradually he has returned to full health with relatively little side effects.

His recent check up showed there was some small leakage so they ran the necessary tests.

The outcome is this , he can just leave it as its not life threatening at the moment and they have no reason to believe it would change BUT if it did , he would die. The consultant was quite blunt about it.

OR they can operate and change the stent which would solve the problem, probably indefinitely but he would increase his risk of a stroke on the table from 5% as was the last operation to 10%.

He asked my opinion on his choices. I said if it was me I'd take the op because at least he has a high chance of no stroke and full recovery as opposed to being dead. Which is pretty damn final.

I spent some time last night in the middle of the night worrying that I had given him the wrong advice ( which of course he may not take!).

I wondered what choice you would make or what advice you would have given if any?