Gransnet forums

Health

Oestoarthritus

(13 Posts)
NanKate Mon 03-Oct-16 15:53:08

Thanks BikerGran I suspect that is what I have.

bikergran Sun 02-Oct-16 21:36:42

I was suffering from pins/needles/numbness tingling in hands for almost a year,used to wake up with hands feeling numb and couldnt grip anything, eventually went docs..then to physio who diagnosed Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.Gave me some splints to wear on wrists but only at night.
It seems to happen at night when the wrist are sort of bent. When it gets bad and my wrists ache, I wear the splints for a couple of nights and it eases it for a few weeks.

NanKate Sun 02-Oct-16 21:10:27

I have just found this thread after I had already posted a little while back one about my pins and needles. hmm

I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica and thought the steroids I am taking caused the problems in my one arm, however from reading some of your comments it could be the illness itself that is causing it. It ebbs and flows during the day but is worse when I am trying to get to sleep.

When the miracle of getting a doctor's appointment happens I shall ask the Doctor about this added nuisance.

Flossieturner Sun 02-Oct-16 20:01:22

That is interesting about the Doctor not asking questions. I think this is quite common, they just wait for you to give the info. Even though my doctors are very nice, I am reluctant to go with a shopping list of complaints so I just tell them briefly the one thing that is bothering me..

So, in three years I have been three times, complete loss of appetite, sleeping badly and losing weight. Vitamin D deficiency was diagnosed. Next time I went because I was tripping over my feet, feeling dizzy, falling over when I bent down. Still losing weight and feeling tired.I got tablets for Vertigo. This time the doctor did full bloods and asked lots of questions. She said, "you need to tell us the whole story when you come otherwise we can't properly diagnose".

I don't think it is as easy as that. I put everything down to 'getting old', not realising that the numbness in my hand and feet, loss of appetite, the exhaustion pain are all connected.

ninathenana Sun 02-Oct-16 15:42:36

I recently had a couse of physio for neck and shoulder pain. Neither my GP or physio asked about pins and needles. I wonder why?

Flossieturner Sun 02-Oct-16 15:10:10

Those of you with pins and needles, I would advise to go to GP. I was forced into it by my son who is a medic. I am awaiting result of X-ray and GP is going to send me for physio. She thinks the problem is starting in cervical spine. I have suffered with neck pain for years and this is the first time it has been taken seriously.

I have anti-imflamatories but the pins and needles drive me mad.

ninathenana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:44:10

Thanks tanith very interesting

trisher Sat 01-Oct-16 22:41:36

My Tai-chi class has a number of members who have arthritis, some O/A. They all say the movement and relaxation are beneficial. You would need to find a class that concentrated on the health aspect of Tai-chi, sometimes taught as Qui-gong and check with the teacher.

tanith Sat 01-Oct-16 22:36:44

ninathenana Carpel Tunnel can be caused by O/A in the wrist so you it could be O/A in your hand and wrist, have a read of this and scroll down to the bit about Carpel Tunnel too.

www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/arthritis%20care/assets/osteoarthritisofthehandandwrist.pdf

ninathenana Sat 01-Oct-16 22:22:59

I found this very interesting.
I get pain in my hand joints, pins and needles and numbness. I have Googled OA previously and there is no mention of pins and needles.
Only knobbly joints (which I have to some extent) and stiffness. I was thinking carpal tunnel but maybe not.

tanith Sat 01-Oct-16 22:00:26

The only thing that relieves my O/A is anti-inflammatories and pain relief. Others find tens machines useful or heat/cold pads everyone's experience is different. Non weight-bearing exercise such as gentle cycling and swimming is also good to keep the joints moving.

You have my sympathy O/A is a bugger grin

hildajenniJ Sat 01-Oct-16 21:35:56

I get pins and needles and numbness in my hand when I'm driving, just from holding the steering wheel! I haven't found a way to relieve it except for exercising it. I think that keeping things moving is the key to it.

Flossieturner Sat 01-Oct-16 21:30:03

Just had a diagnosis after going to GP with pins and needles and hand and feet problems. I am interestee to hear from others, especially if you have any relief recommendations.