Gransnet forums

Health

Bone broth medicinal properties

(28 Posts)
NanKate Thu 13-Oct-16 20:32:20

There is an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph 10 October about eating bone broth, both homemade and pre cooked, which can help with illnesses such as Fibromyalgia.

I have Polymyalgia and think it will be worth a go to see if it can reduce the inflammatory problems I have, whilst trying to reduce my steroids.

It says it also improves skin and hair.

Anyone tried it ?

Greyduster Tue 25-Oct-16 21:40:20

Are you sure you don't mean Virol, spabbygirl, (or did your spell checker take over, as mine often does)? That was made with bone marrow I think.

Doublestemcell Tue 25-Oct-16 11:43:52

Potential power of Double stemcell to grow new cells

Double stemcell has his potential powers to creat damage cells like- Every plant has stem cells. But different in humans, every plant cell has the potential to dedifferentiate to a stem cell and to grow into an entirely new, full plant, Stemcell also grow newly cell that man get healthier back.

For more visit

Phytoscienceteamasia

spabbygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 19:32:14

Last year I bought some stewing beef from waitress and it had 2 thin slices of bone with marrow in it, it was gorgeous!!! I'll try that. I think somewhere I have a bone marrow jar that is victorian stoneware 'vitriol' its called. Presumably it was an attempt to prerve it. Thanks for all the info.

angsw Sat 15-Oct-16 18:47:36

And OP Fybromyalgia is an auto immune illness.

angsw Sat 15-Oct-16 18:46:30

Hi Daphne, thank you very much for that link - music to my ears. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, all about my auto immune system, - not my thyroid, which is the victim of my auto immune system.

In the groups, etc I belong to, bone broth is recommended and sworn by, but with the fatigue, brain fog, I have not worked up the energy to make it!

I can't wait to try it.

watermeadow Sat 15-Oct-16 18:27:12

OMG
Bring on the beef tea, calves foot jelly, sieved brains and tripe. Or, preferably, leave them with Mrs Beeton and Charles Dickens.

starbird Sat 15-Oct-16 18:16:43

I find lamb is quite tasty - I brown cutlets then boil with onion, carrot and herbs for an hour or so, it might need skimming once ot twice when it first boils. Strain and discard all solids, (but if you are you are going to make stew you can cut the lean meat off the bone) allow to cool in fridge. A solid fat forms on top which can be used as dripping on toast, or spread on bread for the birds, the rest is jelly which can form the basis of any sort of soup or stew. A few drops of Lea and Perrins adds flavour if you find it too bland.

Nanna58 Sat 15-Oct-16 14:43:47

Obviously best and cheaper made at home but at a push they sell it on Amazon I see. Going to give it a try for my psoriatic arthritis ( and hair and skin obvs! )

K8tie Sat 15-Oct-16 13:43:37

The older generation I think [well older than us!] had so many excellent ways that we have just discarded at our own expense! Not only is this great for your body but it adds excellent flavour to cooking. There does not have to be a recipe - you throw things in that you like as flavours. I love adding lemon grass and ginger with a touch of five star anise. Just try a lot of flavours. And this is great as a base for your rice or noodles as well of course for the base of soups and gravies. And so healthy, my hair and nails and skin and bones are still in pretty good nick from doing this for years now.
I also use this broth as a what I call 'fast day' once or twice a day. Yummy and you never ever feel hungry all day, and very portable in a little flask.
Excellent also, for taking in flasks for anyone in hospital to boost healing and recuperative powers.

Stansgran Sat 15-Oct-16 13:39:05

I generally use the carcass of a roast chicken . That doesn't seem to need skimming and I just bring it to the boil and put it in the slow cooker overnight. I don't put any herbs or veg with it as I use it as a stock . The same with a ham hock pre roasted. If the ham hock is raw I generally only skim once and again I don't add veg as I like the clear stock as a base.

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Oct-16 13:33:05

The recipe I use for chicken bone broth is this:

1 organic chicken carcass
5 litres filtered water (I filter mine through a filter jug as our tap water tastes vile)
Splash of cider vinegar

(I add seasoning when I warm up a portion to eat/drink)

1. I roast the chicken first and keep the breast meat to eat another time.
2. Strip off any other white meat to eat separately.
3. Break up the carcass as much as poss. Leave some meat on the legs, joints, etc.
4. Fill a large pan with 5 litres of cold water plus the cider vinegar, and add the chicken bones and joints. Make sure the water covers the bones.
5. Simmer for 3 hours, topping up the water if necessary (but not too much or it won't "gel" when cooled). I set the timer for every 30 mins to check the water level. If you roast the chicken first, there is no scum to skim off.
6. Strain off the bones and bits of meat. You can retain the meat to eat or add to soups. Cool the broth and cover it and keep in the fridge. It will keep for 4-5 days. Reheat and eat/drink once or twice daily. Or freeze in blocks.

I have problems tolerating onions, garlic, etc myself so I don't add anything else when making the actual broth especially as it has to cook for so long, but you could add anything you liked when you reheat a portion.

MadGrandma Sat 15-Oct-16 13:26:03

There was a piece on This Morning at some point in the week just gone about someone making bone broth because of the collagen from the bones/etc having a beneficial effect on both skin and nails etc. Can't remember what day but think it was Liz Earle talking about it? Might be worth looking on their website.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:33:24

Could someone who makes this please provide their recipe as this sounds delish....?

I tried making this once and some people say you need to put the bones or carcass in cold water to begin with and some that you must use boiling water. All I remember is that I spent ages skimming off the scum from the raw bones and nearly gave up.

Any advice welcome.

DotMH1901 Sat 15-Oct-16 10:52:53

My Gran would buy a bag of beef bones from the butcher for a penny. She would put them in cold water and bring to the boil then simmer them for 20 minutes before carefully lifting the bones out and discarding this water. She would then put the bones in a roasting tray and pop them in the oven on high until the little bits of meat on the bones were brown and crispy. We had a large stockpot and she would put the roasted bones into that along with the scrapings from the roasting pan. She only added diced onion and black pepper (but I have seen other recipes with added carrots and other herbs). She would add just enough cold water to cover the bones (they didn't float), and then put the tight fitting lid on the pot. It was brought to the boil then reduced to a simmer and left all day on the stove - you could probably use a slow cooker and cook it overnight. The soup/stock was then left to cool and she would strain it through a cloth into a clean dish, it would set like jelly. We would be given a hot teacup of water with a cube of it in and a spoon to stir it until the cube dissolved.

hulahoop Sat 15-Oct-16 10:35:03

Sparkle fizz do you add veg to juice and do you thicken it would appreciate recipe?

Hippywitch64 Sat 15-Oct-16 10:16:46

Fran63 Bone broth is really easy to make and not as gross as it sounds readymade wouldnt be as good for you. I have fibromyalgia but dont have bone broth as im veggie i do make it for hubby when hes not well tho.

DaphneBroon Sat 15-Oct-16 09:48:19

Look at the article I posted the link to. I have not yet seen it in Ocado's list but worth asking around -maybe Waitrose?

fran63 Sat 15-Oct-16 09:45:38

The name bone broth puts me off but as a fibromyalgia sufferer with bad nails then I would give it a try. Where can I buy it ready made ?

MinniesMum Sat 15-Oct-16 09:44:39

I have been doing this for years as my mother did. I use the jellied stock for soups and gravy, but mainly soup. I often get beef bones from the butcher - he chops them up for me and they go in the big pot either in or on the Rayburn with veg for a few hours. The jellied stock is wonderful. Lamb doesn't give much flavour so chicken and beef bones are best. If you cook a whole ham, the stock is wonderful but qyuite strong so that is just used for soup - pea and ham is a family favourite. I bought a cheap chicken once and made stock in the usual way - it was like dishwater so I threw it away. I stick to organic chicken these days.

KatyK Fri 14-Oct-16 12:09:06

There was a lady on TV this week making bone broth. She said it is good for all sorts of things and is very good for the skin.

Sparklefizz Fri 14-Oct-16 10:51:17

Since February I have been boiling up an organic chicken carcass twice a week to make bone broth and having some every day on a doctor's recommendation, because I have allergies, gut and digestive problems. My hair and nails have noticeably improved, I am not having so many allergic reactions, and my cousin saw me for the first time since Xmas and said how much better I looked. Bone broth is extremely nourishing and soothing to the body. It seemed a bit of a nuisance at first having to do the boiling up but I soon got into the routine of it. Obviously organic is best as you don't want any antibiotics or hormones from ordinary bones. Beef bones stink the house out but chicken bones smell like chicken soup. I highly recommend it.

NanKate Fri 14-Oct-16 06:43:39

Thanks Daphne this is the article. I am definitely going to try it.

DaphneBroon Thu 13-Oct-16 23:16:18

I posted this on Monday morning, is this the article you meant Nankate?

This may or may not be of any interest or use to you, but by coincidence it was in today's Daily Telegraph.
Can't see them on Ocado's product list yet, but worth asking and trying perhaps.

www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/diet/bone-broth-helped-my-aching-joints/

tiggypiro Thu 13-Oct-16 22:44:12

My mum used to make bone broth when we were kids. She put lots of veg into it and with hunks of bread it filled us and warmed us on cold winter days.
When DD first moved to China she worked in a city which had very few foreigners living there. One night we went to the 'bone' restaurant and had bone soup. This was considered quite good as the bones still had some meat clinging to them. On the table next to us the couple had bone marrow soup and used a straw to suck out the marrow from the bones.

Christinefrance Thu 13-Oct-16 21:04:39

Yes for many years it was considered to have curative properties then it fell out of favour. Over recent months I have seen articles extolling its benefits. Must be worth trying, I always enjoyed it.