Gransnet forums

Health

Advice please...9 week old baby ill

(45 Posts)
baubles Sun 14-Oct-12 11:06:52

I'm a wee bit concerned this morning. My infant grandaughter who is breastfed seems to have been colicky since birth. She cries inconsolably for hours each evening, she appears to be in pain, drawing up her legs. The health visitor told my daughter that breastfed babies don't get colic. In addition to the possible colic, the baby is very snuffly and has had a cough for three weeks which two doctors have said is nothing to worry about.

I've just had a call from my daughter to say that baby has had projectile vomiting twice this morning and has just vomited bright yellow liquid. I've told her to ring NHS 24 and I'm now waiting to hear from her.

janeainsworth Sun 14-Oct-12 11:11:37

baubles I wouldn't wait for your phone call to be answered.
I'd be straight down to A&E and refuse to go until I'd seen someone sensible.

crimson Sun 14-Oct-12 11:14:19

How rotten for you [and baby]. Breastfed babies do get colic; mine did as did my grandchildren...just stopped at 12 weeks as per usual with colic. But projectile vomiting is a different matter. Keep us informed.

Marelli Sun 14-Oct-12 11:18:27

I'd get away down to A&E baubles? It'll put your minds at rest and any treatment required can be given. Let us know how things go? xx

jeni Sun 14-Oct-12 11:24:31

A&E definitly!

kittylester Sun 14-Oct-12 11:27:32

I'd go to A&E too, but our youngest grandson (now aged 9 months) has/d reflux. I don't know whether breastfed babies can get reflux but the symptoms sound similar. Bertie was about 3 weeks premature and not easy to feed until he started solids - his nickname now is 'doorstop'!

Good luck to your daughter and do let us know. flowers

Gally Sun 14-Oct-12 11:41:25

Straight to A&E. My GD in Oz had all those symptoms when I was there recently (she was about 5 weeks at the time). We got her to the Doc pronto, had all the tests done and they couldn't find anything untoward. It's far better to go than not go just for peace of mind, if nothing else, especially with a baby so young.

absentgrana Sun 14-Oct-12 11:51:44

My second granddaughter, fully breastfed, had reflux and projectile vomiting on an industrial scale. These sorts of things are very worrying so worth getting your granddaughter checked properly to make sure that she isn't showing symptoms of something that requires medical attention. Chances are she isn't but it's always better to be safe than sorry with littles. Hope all works out okay baubles.

soop Sun 14-Oct-12 12:23:53

baubles A&E without further ado.

baubles Sun 14-Oct-12 12:35:05

My thanks once again all you lovely ladies. DD has just rung me having been to A&E. Dr reckons it is no more than a tummy bug and the bilious vomiting is purely because her stomach was empty. Sent home with instructions 'to keep an eye on her'. Hmmm, don't know if I'm convinced.

annodomini Sun 14-Oct-12 12:36:57

If the vomiting continues, the poor baby will quickly get dehydrated, so needs to go to A&E.

soop Sun 14-Oct-12 12:39:51

Oh thank goodness you've been given advice from someone in the know. Poor wee love. There is a nasty tummy bug doing the rounds in our village. Keep us updated please. x

janeainsworth Sun 14-Oct-12 12:47:13

Agree with anno re dehydration, your DD needs to check baby is having usual number of wet nappies, and any worrying symptoms, straight back to A&E.
Tummy bugs are usually self-limiting but you can't be too careful with little ones, can you?

Lilygran Sun 14-Oct-12 13:00:34

Yes, A&E straightaway and I do hope your little grandaughter iis OK. Best place for information and advice on breast fed babies is www.nct.org.uk/. www.laleche.org.uk/ also good.

gracesmum Sun 14-Oct-12 13:01:50

What a worry for you but you have had good advice and fingers crossed this will soon pass . Don't we just feel it physically when our little ones are unwell?flowers

harrigran Sun 14-Oct-12 19:42:27

Thinking of you and yours baubles careful monitoring, babies dehydrate very quickly flowers

Mishap Sun 14-Oct-12 19:45:52

Hope this wee babe is a bit better soon.

moomin Sun 14-Oct-12 20:11:10

My DG in New Zealand was breast-fed and always had an hour or so of crying and being unsettled every evening, when I was over for my annual visit I used to walk the floor with her! So definitely breast-fed babies can and do get colic.

Very frightening when one so young has projectile vomiting all of a sudden. I do hope she improves very quickly flowers

Anne58 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:18:53

I once inadvertently gave my bf baby one heck of a tummy ache by my having two helpings of rhubarb crumble blush

JessM Sun 14-Oct-12 20:30:37

yes that wet nappy thing is obvious once you think about it. Not so easy to tell these days as the disposables are so very absorbent.
My DS1 cried quite a lot. He just may have been a tad over fed. But i remember from my NCT days - most of the mums breastfed - some babies cry a lot and some don't.
I hope the baby is better soon.

Ariadne Sun 14-Oct-12 20:33:07

So do I! They are so, so vulnerable. Let us know how it goes, Baubles

Bags Sun 14-Oct-12 21:13:49

Thinking of you, baubles, and the wee one. I hope she picks up soon.

Granny23 Mon 15-Oct-12 02:23:23

Baubles just noticed you have not been on since very early Sunday morning. Hope everything is OK and that you will be reporting good news soon.flowers- that's poppies, lily of the valley & violas specially for you.

absentgrana Mon 15-Oct-12 07:55:35

baubles I hope that the little one is improving and that you have all been reassured.

baubles Mon 15-Oct-12 09:37:05

Thankfully the little one is showing signs of improvement this morning. Her colour is better and she is more alert.

Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I haven't wanted to let my daughter see just how worried I was so it's great to be able to tell someone. X