Gransnet forums

Health

Can you keep to six teasps of sugar a day..

(79 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 09-Mar-14 14:18:06

...as per the most recent guidelines from the WHO?

Bearing in mind there is 1 teaspoon in 3 slices wholemeal bread, 10 in 200 mls skimmed milk, 3 in a yoghurt, about 1 teaspoon in a carrot. Haven't measured things like weetabix, cornflakes, tomato ketchup, potatoes, cheese, fruit, etc.

I think it might be not nutritionally sound. confused

Charleygirl Sun 09-Mar-14 14:23:52

Definitely not and I do not add sugar to anything, except the occasional grapefruit.

janeainsworth Sun 09-Mar-14 14:54:56

jingl have you got a link to the guidelines?
I doubt if the sugar in milk counts, as it is lactose, not sucrose or fructose.
I suspect it's added sugar, not sugars contained in complex carbohydrates.

gettingonabit Sun 09-Mar-14 14:55:36

Not on your life! The problem is the hidden sugar, not the added stuff. Everything has sugar in it, it seems, whether added in manufacturing or naturally occurring.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

thatbags Sun 09-Mar-14 15:00:19

I'll second janea's request for a link to the guidelines. I also think it does not include the sugars contained in complex carbohydrates.

thatbags Sun 09-Mar-14 15:02:21

I found a link: life.nationalpost.com/2014/03/05/limit-sugar-consumtion-to-six-tablespoons-less-than-a-can-of-pop-a-day-who-says-in-new-recommendations/

The recommendations do not relate to "intrinsic" sugars, e.g. those found in fruit and vegetables and grains.

merlotgran Sun 09-Mar-14 15:08:06

The Daily Mail gave away a very useful booklet yesterday with amounts of sugar you are likely to find in everyday products.

Did you know that a small tub of Rachel's Organic low-fat rhubarb yoghurt contains 5 tspns of sugar? shock

MiceElf Sun 09-Mar-14 15:17:55

I wish I was chemistry competent....

When I read this I felt quite smug as all of the items listed are manufactured and pre prepared. I cook everything from scratch. But then I looked at what I had cooked over the last week.

So, a few questions for the scientists:

Does the small amount of sugar I added to the yeast starter for my bread to make it work, count?

Does the sugar in the Tarte au Pommes which I made last evening count? That is, the sugar from the apples embedded in the frangipani count?

What about the malt I use in malt loaf?

And what about the sugars in dried fruit?

And, finally, what about wine?

thatbags Sun 09-Mar-14 15:22:19

There is no more sugar in dried fruit than there is in fresh fruit unless more has been added. What's there in the plant is "intrinsic" and doesn't count. At least, not for the purposes of this recommendation.

Malt is extracted from something, so it counts like granulated sugar or golden syrup, etc.

thatbags Sun 09-Mar-14 15:23:06

Added sugar in wine will count, but not the sugar in the grapes. So you have to GUESS.

MiceElf Sun 09-Mar-14 15:33:28

That's comforting. We're well within the limit. Not though virtue though, but through preference.

grannyactivist Sun 09-Mar-14 15:45:28

As I'm on a diet for pre-diabetes I have been very careful (mostly) to eat only home prepared meals with no added sugar and as I am not allowed fruit (I do cheat every now and again - I want some fruit) I have to ensure that I get plenty of salad/vegetables. It isn't hard to do without added sugar. Eggs for breakfast; vegetable soup for lunch; meat or fish and vegetables/salad for dinner; nuts or home-made yoghurt for snacks etc. If processed foods are avoided there should be few problems with limiting added sugar.

kittylester Sun 09-Mar-14 16:01:34

I like sugar in my tea and I intend to keep having it!

positivepam Sun 09-Mar-14 16:19:57

I am with you Kittylester, I love sugar in my tea and the rest of my diet is pretty healthy so, I am not going to give up something I enjoy. I think we are starting to be treated as if we do not have any common sense and ok, give us the facts and then let us make our own minds up. I just think too much of anything is not good for us and a balanced diet, with a little bit of what you fancy, surely cannot be that bad?

janeainsworth Sun 09-Mar-14 16:33:29

Thanks for the link Bags.

Here's an extract which might help:

"The recommendations relate to what are called free sugars — those added by manufacturers, cooks or consumers. And they abound in prepared foods. The WHO report notes that one tablespoon of ketchup contains about four grams or one teaspoon of sugar.

They relate to all monosaccharides — things like glucose and fructose — and disaccharides such as sucrose or table sugar, as well as sugars in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates.

The recommendations do not relate to “intrinsic” sugars — those built into whole foods such as fruits or vegetables."

MiceElf the sugar in your bread will be negligible - but I'm afraid the sugar in your frangipane most certainly won't grin

dollie Sun 09-Mar-14 16:35:30

I'm too old to care anymore lol...although the only extra sugar i have is brown on my porridge in the mornings..i dislike sugar in my tea and coffee..

MiceElf Sun 09-Mar-14 16:35:46

I don't put much in, Jane, butter, ground almonds, 2 oz sugar, an egg for a big tart for ten people. And I only make a pudding on Sundays....

Brendawymms Sun 09-Mar-14 16:36:09

How about the sugar in the Victoria sponge I have just made or in the jam and butter icing. All cake is calorie free so where is the harm grin

Granny23 Sun 09-Mar-14 17:11:40

There is a big difference between the 6 TEASPOONS in the thread title and the 6 TABLESPOONS in Bags' link. hmm

janeainsworth Sun 09-Mar-14 17:17:59

One thing I don't understand is whether the intrinsic sugar in fruit is altered by cooking.
When fruit is eaten raw, the fructose doesn't count because it stays in the cells of the fruit and isn't digested. But when you have a smoothie, the cells are macerated and the fructose is released, digested in the stomach and immediately converted to fat and stored in the liver.
So what happens when you stew fruit? Does the intrinsic sugar in the fruit then count as extrinsic?
Or if you put grated carrot in a carrot cake?
Does anyone know?
confused

janeainsworth Sun 09-Mar-14 17:36:17

I'm afraid it's definitely teaspoons Granny23 hmm
Here's a link to an NHS website.

www.nhs.uk/news/2013/12december/pages/daily-sugar-intake-should-be-cut-study-finds.aspx

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 09-Mar-14 18:04:05

Sorry I did n't put a link up. Thank you Bags and Jane.

Yes. I should have realised it did n't include naturally occurring sugars! So milk, carrots and tangerines are back on the menu.

Phew! grin

thatbags Sun 09-Mar-14 18:24:38

Gosh, g23, I didn't notice the tablesppons bit. I reckon it's a different interpretation of tablespoon that what we Brits are used to though. My tablespoon measures are 15ml, teaspoon 5ml. Six times 5ml of straight/refined sugar per day sounds plenty to me

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Mar-14 18:31:20

Where does honey fit in? I have a teaspoonful in my porridge. It is from a local beekeeper so hopefully not as refined as the Gales variety. Can I count it as half a spoonful?

Ana Sun 09-Mar-14 18:36:53

'Honey is indeed a natural product. But so is sugar. Most manufacturers make white sugar by refining sugar beets and sugar cane, making white sugar a natural product. Clearly, natural is not always synonymous with healthy.

Your stomach doesn’t care whether you ingest white sugar or honey once it enters your bloodstream. To your body, sugar is sugar. All types of sugar should be consumed sparingly, even if it's honey. At the same time, honey contains a few trace vitamins and minerals and helps alleviate some health problems. While it might not be smart to consume too much honey, it is not a food you must completely avoid either.'

(Taken from the Food Myths Debunked)