Gransnet forums

Health

YIPPPEEE!!! Pre-diabetes update:

(43 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Fri 20-Jun-14 11:48:26

After following my doctor's advice and losing a stone +, cutting down on treats and the consumption of fruit juice (water mainly now) I have had results of my Glucose Tolerance Test - taken after diagnoses of Pre-diabetes 6 months ago. My results show 'No further action necessary, fasting blood test 5.3, Glucose Tolerance Test after 2 hours of drinking 100% glucose drink was 5.1 - I am in the normal range and no longer Pre-diabetic. Cause for celebration methinks.grin

tanith Fri 20-Jun-14 12:47:35

That's excellent news Flower well done you.

durhamjen Fri 20-Jun-14 13:25:36

Are you allowed wine?

Flowerofthewest Fri 20-Jun-14 17:30:07

I'm allowed anything in moderation durhamjen My DH bought me some chocolate buttons to celebrate. Love him to bits.

newist Fri 20-Jun-14 17:34:22

That is good news Flower now you can enjoy your holiday

Aka Fri 20-Jun-14 17:59:54

Well done Flower smile

whenim64 Fri 20-Jun-14 18:33:49

Flower what an achievement. No wonder you're celebrating! flowers grin

GillT57 Fri 20-Jun-14 18:43:40

well done! DH is at GP on Monday for follow up to his diagnosis, has lost a stone, cut out fruit juice ( but not alcohol) so hopefully we will be going in the right direction too!

rubysong Fri 20-Jun-14 19:13:59

Interesting that fruit juice is being dropped to lose weight. I used to drink orange juice (the kind that comes in a box) every day but when I started the 5:2 and looked at the label I was shocked how much sugar was in it so I don't buy it any more.

durhamjen Sat 21-Jun-14 00:08:37

Why does wine not have to give the sugar content? Or beer?
Everything else does, so how come they have been getting away with it?
Is it because it would give everybody too much of a shock, or because sales would plummet?

Nanabelle Sat 21-Jun-14 00:10:26

Congratulations Flower - well done you. flowers

Kiora Sat 21-Jun-14 09:04:17

Well done [flower] do you feel better for it? Ps I thought I'd already posted but it's disappeared. Into the ether? Posted somewhere else? Going mad? Oh well if it turns up somewhere else I'm sorry hope it's not going to be 'one of them days'

Aka Sat 21-Jun-14 09:15:04

Jen if you're interested in the sugar content in wine, beer, etc then this might help.

janeainsworth Sat 21-Jun-14 09:21:34

Well done Flower that's excellent news. Enjoy your celebratory wine

Jen There is very little sugar in wine and beer.
Cider, sherry and fortified drinks have appreciable amounts though.
www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10731418/Hidden-levels-of-sugar-in-alcohol-revealed.html

janeainsworth Sat 21-Jun-14 09:23:12

Aka sorry posts crossed. Interesting link you provided.

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 09:46:42

I am pre diabetic and was told that there is no help from the nhs. I have to try to diet myself but if I diet I feel deprived so I then binge and think that I will start tomorrow. I have ended up putting on weight so goodness knows what my sugar levels will be. I asked the doctor if I should get a machine to test my sugar levels and he said he didn't want me to obsess about it. The fact is that the diabetic diet is so boring, just literally veg, either boiled or roasted. I don't like meat, processed meats are just disgusting, fruit is apparently to sugary so I don't know how I will cope if I am diagnosed with real diabetes in my yearly check up.
Flower, you need a medal for coping with the dieting.

Aka Sat 21-Jun-14 12:34:11

Silverfish I know this will sound harsh but it's entirely up to you. No one can do it for you.

There is still fish, eggs, cheese and vegetarian alternatives like Quorn which are low in carbohydrates and sugars.

I truly believe that 'where there's a will there's a way' and that's what Flower has done.

Thanks Jane

durhamjen Sat 21-Jun-14 12:47:29

If you have been told you are prediabetic, Silverfish, that must have come from the NHS. That was help.
They cannot stop you eating, or get over your idea that you can only eat boiled or fried vegetables, but there is lots of help on the diabetes uk website .
Or you can look at a Viva! or vegsoc website to find out how you can eat in a better way. Lots of people lose weight when they try a vegetarian diet for the first time, providing they do not gorge on cheese.

I still do not understand how wine and beer manufacturers have got away with having no nutritional information on their products. Even if there is no nutritious value in their products, shouldn't they have to tell us? I think Co-op wines give information, but that's all.

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 20:03:42

what I need is something to pig out on. I can cope with a diet if I can have a plate of junk food now and again to satisfy my cravings. they are saying now that a portion is the amount you can hold in your palm. Im used to a huge plate of fish and chips with bread and tea/cola and followed by a dessert or something to nibble later. I just have a craving to nibble. I have even tried paper but is so tasteless. I hate those veggie dinners and I don't cook for myself so I guess I will just have to be diabetic.

JessM Sat 21-Jun-14 20:16:54

Silverfish you sound really fed up about this. I'm sure you must be daunted by the thought of changing your diet overnight. I suggest that you do it in small steps. First give up things with added sugar - sweet cereals, cakes, biscuits and desserts. Hard I know but if you do end up diabetic it will have to be done. I never have cake, biscuits or sweets in the house. I just don't buy them then I can't eat them.
If you drink cola shift to diet. If you have sugar in tea or coffee shift to sweeteners. Keep eating fruit in reasonable quantities as you do this will help you as you give up the less healthy sweet stuff. If you really want something sweet eat a banana or an apple or a few strawberries.
Hope this idea helps you to retrain your taste buds out of wanting sweet stuff.

Ana Sat 21-Jun-14 20:22:07

Paper! shock

Nuts are good to nibble on. What do you mean, you don't cook for yourself, Silverfish? Why not? Easy to make a chicken and veg (lots of) stew, shove it in the oven, eat some and freeze the rest. You surely don't live on a diet of ready-meals and/or fast food - no wonder you're in danger of becoming diabetic! confused

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 20:36:44

I was told I had pre diabetes over a year ago and went on the horrible diet, then they said my sugar was low enough to be not pre diabetic, I also lost a stone, but since then Ive gone a bit mad with eating things I thought I could never have again. I don't like meat certainly not enough to make a meal with, I always have diet cola, never have sugar on my food, ive labelled it poison. I hate cooked meats like ham, I hate having to make enough for 2 meals then have to eat it the next day, I usually work late so I cant get anything cooled enough to freeze. I usually don't fancy anything ive cooked. I live on eggs, salad with rocket not lettuce and oatcakes, I eat about 2 boxes every 2 days.
I buy biscuits and sweet things for my little GD and I make cakes for her too. Cakes are my weakness especially with lots of icing etc. Im absolutely fed up of watching what I eat . On top of that I watched a programme about the things they put in food and Im really scared of most things in the supermarket now. Ive really got a phobia about food, plus im always hungry even after quite a lot to eat.

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 20:38:00

Im quite screwed up I know so any advice would be good.

Ana Sat 21-Jun-14 20:46:51

It does sound as though you have problems regarding food, Silverfish - I can sympathise as although I don't have a weight/diabetes problem I have very little appetite and struggle to eat enough 'proper' food. My problem is that I feel full after half a child-sized portion!

I can only suggest going back to your GP and explaining how you feel. I agree that NHS diet sheets are pretty useless. Perhaps counselling might help, although I realise the waiting list may be long...?

Silverfish Sat 21-Jun-14 21:00:32

Im on waiting list but they said it was long. Ana, I just hate to feel that food controls me and I cant escape it. I don't care much for alcohol and have never even tried drugs not even pot in my hippie days (mind I would like to try it just once). So why am I addicted to food. I can only think its because of my job I work long hours without anything to eat and assume its done something to my metabolism, I often go 8 hours with only water to drink then pig out. I never used to be like this.