Gransnet forums

Health

rimless spectacles

(16 Posts)
suey Wed 01-Oct-14 12:42:05

Please can anyone who has rimless glasses tell me if they break easily. I had a pair and the rimless bit kept coming loose.

lundylinda Wed 01-Oct-14 13:01:52

I've had a pair some years ago and they never gave me any problem. I was still working at the time and wore them all day. Really light and comfortable. At that time my daughter worked for Specsavers. She told me they had to treat lenses in rimless glasses carefully when adjusting them in case they split. Maybe the screws in yours are faulty.

Teetime Wed 01-Oct-14 15:37:30

Mine were fine and I loved them but they got rather expensive when it came to getting new ones. I think the current fad for hard edged specs is very ageing.

Marelli Wed 01-Oct-14 16:14:14

I would rather not have to wear specs, but can't get on with contact lenses. I'd thought about perhaps having rimless ones the next time, but when I suggested it at my last test, the assistant did say they were liable to cracking at the area where the screws are. I just thought they would perhaps look a bit nicer as they might not show up as much on my face!

Mishap Wed 01-Oct-14 16:36:42

I currently have rimmed glasses, but previously wore rimless for decades with no problems at all.

J52 Wed 01-Oct-14 16:38:49

On my second pair from Boots. I have never had a problem with them. X

Anne58 Wed 01-Oct-14 18:26:46

Can you go rimless if you have varifocals?

annodomini Wed 01-Oct-14 18:45:53

I think it's possible, phoenix. Mine are semi-rimless but it really means that there's an invisible rim holding in the bottom of the lenses.

Lona Wed 01-Oct-14 19:03:13

I've got two pairs of rimless varifocals, had them (first pair) for 6 years no problem.
But they are very expensive ones shock so they damn well should be ok!

Anne58 Wed 01-Oct-14 19:25:08

Yes, Lona that is quite definitely another consideration! My last pair of specs were over £250, and that was with choosing inexpensive frames!

I wonder if opticians offer a payment plan.............

Brendawymms Wed 01-Oct-14 20:09:23

I have had rimless verification for years never any problems.

harrigran Thu 02-Oct-14 00:01:26

I have had rimless glasses a couple of times and they broke after about a year, not strong enough for the amount of money I spent. Bought from Boots.

durhamjen Thu 02-Oct-14 00:06:23

My husband had a pair of rimless varifocals. They were so light that they blew away and landed in the middle of the road and were run over by a bus.

Grandmama Thu 02-Oct-14 18:39:28

I've long wanted rimless specs even though they are expensive. My eyes have now 'reversed' - I no longer need specs for distance but I need them for reading. Specsavers told me that rimless would not be strong enough for reading specs as I would be taking them on and off all the time.

tanith Thu 02-Oct-14 18:41:52

I've had a couple of pairs of rimless and they've been fine no problems.

suey Thu 02-Oct-14 20:28:56

thank you