Gransnet forums

Health

Amazing treatment for spinal injury

(17 Posts)
pompa Tue 21-Oct-14 07:06:41

On Panorama tonight, coverage of an operation showing transplantation of nerve cells from his olfactory gland into his damaged spine, enabling him to move his legs.

Grannyknot Tue 21-Oct-14 08:00:29

I am continually fascinated by accounts of the boundaries of medical science being expanded. I missed this but it sounds quite miraculous.

ninathenana Tue 21-Oct-14 08:13:01

Have just seen this on BBC breakfast. Congratulations to all concerned.. Amazing work smile

Agus Tue 21-Oct-14 09:23:06

And another medical breakthrough. It is truly amazing pompa.

TriciaF Tue 21-Oct-14 09:53:10

We heard it on Radio4 news this morning - wonderful ! The doctor who pioneered it said he first had the idea back in the 70s.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Oct-14 09:56:19

This is so good.

MiniMouse Tue 21-Oct-14 12:12:44

Incredible. I haven't read any details, but how on earth did they find out that the connection between the olfactory gland and the spine could possibly be an option?

shabby Tue 21-Oct-14 14:31:08

This is such an incredible medical breakthrough and will give hope to everyone with spinal damage. I gather that the patient's father was instrumental in raising funds for the research. We will watch Panorama with great interest but fear that unfortunately it will probably be too late to be of help to my husband.

PRINTMISS Tue 21-Oct-14 15:06:08

How great it must feel to discover something like this, and for the surgeon to be able to give some life back to someone, and what courage it must take for the person who is suffering to decide to undergo such innovative treatment. Well done to all concerned, I think.

HollyDaze Tue 21-Oct-14 15:45:03

It certainly is impressive news - there are some truly intelligent and gifted people in the world working to better the lives of others through concepts that the rest of us would struggle to comprehend. Well done to all concerned.

durhamjen Tue 21-Oct-14 22:37:36

Minimouse, I do not think it was a connection between the two. It's that cells from the olfactory nerve were transplanted into the spine, as they continue to grow.
Too late for my husband as well, shabby, as he died over two years ago. His fracture was in a different part of the spine. I do not think it was this man's father who raised the funds. It was the father of someone who dived into the sea and broke his neck, ending up paralysed. His father promised him he would walk again, and has now raised over a million towards research.

MiniMouse Tue 21-Oct-14 23:01:46

Hello durhamjen Is it only olfactory nerves that would do that then? It's amazing how these things are discovered. The patience and perseverance of the researchers is incredible.

durhamjen Tue 21-Oct-14 23:41:36

Just watched it. Yes, they said it was only nerves from the olfactory bulb.

Elegran Tue 21-Oct-14 23:54:11

Olfactory nerves can regenerate, unlike most nerves.

Nelliemoser Wed 22-Oct-14 00:09:06

The experts on the radio did say it might not be able to help all people with a spinal cord injury but that it was a start.
The man they tested this on had a wound that was like a very clean cut which would make it easier to repair than a spinal cord injury where the damage to the cord tissue was more complex.

But its a good development and amazing science. They had been slowly working on the possibilties of these stem cells for many years

Nelliemoser Wed 22-Oct-14 00:11:22

These are rarely sudden breakthroughs, but the result of years of hard scientific work!l

HollyDaze Wed 22-Oct-14 20:02:06

Very true Nelliemoser - as Eric Morecambe said: it took him and Ernie 20 years to become an 'overnight success'!