Gransnet forums

Health

Prednisilone

(15 Posts)
Katek Tue 16-Dec-14 22:37:24

I've been on these steroids for 5 days for asthma and it's clearing up nicely - however, I'm suffering really badly from indigestion with them. It's def digestive, had it confirmed by doc this morning, but it's not making life pleasant at the moment. I'm following all the instructions, take after food etc, but to no avail. Anybody got any handy tips for getting through the course....have another 5 days to go!

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 22:43:41

Are you not allowed to take antacids such as Rennie or Milk of Magnesia?

Soutra Tue 16-Dec-14 22:44:20

Do you have the coated sort? Or Omeprazole? If not, ask about them. DH has been on Prednisolone for the last 17+ years since his transplant and that is what he takes.

Katek Tue 16-Dec-14 22:52:57

Antacids not making much impact I'm afraid Ana. No, they're not coated Soutra-perhaps change of prescription called for?

Teetime Wed 17-Dec-14 06:41:13

I hope this doesn't sound rude to suggest that some foods may be worse than others at the moment- pastry and processed foods, spicy things, citrus fruit, pickles etc. Would a bland diet help for a few days? Hope it clears up soon its miserable for you.

Purpledaffodil Wed 17-Dec-14 07:09:07

DS1 used to have these for asthma and the uncoated sort always gave problems. The coated sort were red and probably cost the NHS a little more, but made such a difference. I should ask for a prescription change Katek. Hope you feel better soon.

Katek Wed 17-Dec-14 08:58:41

Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions. I've just had a bowl of porridge and it's not sitting too badly......yet! Yesterday I felt like I was being knifed in the back-not pleasant at all. Have also left message for duty doc re coated tabs so will see if they call back.

Tegan Wed 17-Dec-14 09:50:32

I've just remembered that, yes, coated tablets are more expensive but the reason we used the non coated ones were because they were far more effective...I think it's best that the full amount is absorbed quickly. Maye taking omeprazole with it would help [although that can lead to a dependency on those].

Ariadne Wed 17-Dec-14 11:34:10

Omeprazole is very, very good, though. I was left, after chemo, with a dreadful acid problem and took it then. Now that I have to take prescription anti inflammatory drugs, it is also helpful. DH is on Prednisilone for PMR and also takes omeprazole to great effect.

There are side effects, but the alternative is horrid too.

Katek just a thought - the pain you describe sounds very like gall stones pain?

Katek Wed 17-Dec-14 19:34:13

I have a hiatus hernia Ariadne and presumed it was the steroids worsening the GERD symptons?? Maybe I ought to pursue the possibility of gall bladder investigations after New Year. I've only had one bout of stabbing pain today which is a distinct improvement on yesterday. Spoke to duty doc who said I have to have the uncoated prednisilone because of transit times/absorption. Ah well, back to the drawing board!

Faye Wed 17-Dec-14 19:58:31

You might find changing your diet and eating a more alkaline diet will really help. The other thing you can do is think about what you have just eaten when you get indigestion and eliminate it from your diet.

annodomini Wed 17-Dec-14 21:20:28

I have a hiatus hernia and reflux problem. I've been taking Omeprazole for many years with no side effects and prednisolone for 3.5 years - dosage a bit up and down according to inflammatory markers. Are you on a very high dose for your asthma KateK? You can also take Gaviscon Advance which is available either on prescription or OTC. I can't recommend it too highly.

Katek Wed 17-Dec-14 22:19:13

I'm a longtime veggie who's actually almost vegan- use soya products mainly instead of dairy at home, but not so rigid that I won't take tea/coffee/puddings/pasta etc if made with milk/cheese when I'm out. I try and watch what I eat and my GERD is usually pretty much under control, it's just the steroids which have caused a flare up I think. I'm seldom on prednisilone annodomini-usually asthma is pretty well controlled with Symbicort and Salbutamol, but this is second course in as many months and I'm taking 40mg daily for two weeks. Overdoing it as usual and running myself down so no fighting reserves left. I was on domperidone for many years to help with hernia symptoms but it was withdrawn very suddenly earlier this year due to concerns over cardiac side effects. I've not been as well without it but haven't been offered an alternative. Must go buy some Gaviscon Advance, all I could find yesterday was a little handbag pack!

Faye Wed 17-Dec-14 23:43:22

You could be me katek smile smile except for the soy products and no medication. It does sound like your medication could be causing your indigestion. Try half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, it's amazing stuff.

Katek Sun 21-Dec-14 21:20:29

Woohoo! Last day of steroids! Wheeze completely gone, still full,of catarrh but at least I'm not attached to my inhaler all day. Will maybe get a decent sleep now as I get very intense, heavy dreams whilst on them. Last night I dreamt that I fell out with entire family at a wedding, cancelled my flight home to Spain(?) and they all went off and left me!