Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement operation

(32 Posts)
Morcottgirl Fri 27-Mar-15 20:45:59

I am having a knee replacement in 3 weeks time, the surgeon has said that I will be given an epidural instead of a general anaesthetic. Does anyone have experience of an epidural? Feeling a little anxious about this but looking forward to getting my new knee.

tanith Fri 27-Mar-15 20:51:52

It will be fine Morcottgirl, I had an epidural and sedation for my hip-replacement op and as others will tell you you really aren't aware of what goes on, I don't remember anything it was all a haze till I woke up again.. there are quite a few here who've had your op and I'm sure they will also put your mind at rest. If you have anymore questions please ask away.

Lilygran Fri 27-Mar-15 21:02:08

I've had both knees replaced and it's fine. The sedative stops you from having any cares of any kind and the epidural stops you from having any feeling or pain. I've had general anaesthetic several times and epidural twice. Much rather the epidural! Hope all goes well, Moorcottgirl

pompa Fri 27-Mar-15 21:12:25

I had my knee replaced 6 months ago under an epidural. Brilliant, no pain whatsoever and no after effects. I was drinking a cup of tea 15 min after the op and eating my dinner an hour later. I had my hip done under a general anesthetic, would always opt for epidural should I need to have other knee/hip done.
The anesthetist will be with you all through and give you any sedatives you may need (I did not have any sedatives and was totally awake, chatting to anesthetist and surgeon. But if you are worried they will sedate you.
I have had a few ops under a local, that was always uncomfortable, with an epidural there is not the slightest discomfort. Just look forward to a new knee.

NotTooOld Fri 27-Mar-15 21:12:31

I had a spinal injection and a sedative for my hip replacement just over 2 weeks ago. I made sure the anaesthetist knew that I wished to be totally out of it (s/he'll come and talk to you about what s/he intends to do before you go to theatre) and I was. I had the injection, which is painless, in the preparation room and was then wheeled into the theatre. I'm not even sure how I got the sedative but I knew absolutely nothing more until I woke up in recovery. Half an hour later, and in no pain, I was taken back to my bed. Simples! You'll be fine.

Deedaa Fri 27-Mar-15 21:14:12

I had a general anaesthetic for my first knee and an epidural for the second. I was dubious about the epidural but the anaesthetist was very gorgeous and persuasive smile It was fine, I dozed and they woke me up at regular intervals checking my blood pressure! I spent half an hour chatting to one of the nurses afterwards while the epidural wore off and then it was on to the morphine and back to the ward. You'll love your new knee!

pompa Fri 27-Mar-15 21:20:12

I would point out that not having ant sedation was my choice. I have had a lot of major surgery over the years and have no fear of surgery, I much prefer to be as conscious as the procedure will allow (I would have been quite happy to watch if it was possible)

Morcottgirl Fri 27-Mar-15 21:24:33

Thank you so much everyone who has replied, I feel so much more relaxed now. I only joined gransnet today, so I feel very welcome after this response. My husband is hoping my new knee will be more attractive than the existing one but I expect that is too much to ask, mine have always been rather podgy!

tanith Fri 27-Mar-15 21:37:45

Its nice that you are so reassured, you probably won't care what your knee looks like once you realise that the PAIN has gone..grin

Mishap Fri 27-Mar-15 21:58:47

I had the same for my hip - didn't feel or remember a thing. It is standard now - very seldom done under a GA.

Charleygirl Fri 27-Mar-15 22:48:16

My preference is a GA because I never have any side effects afterwards. I was given around 6 choices when I had my knee replaced around 2 and half years ago now but I was not allowed to keep my glasses on and watch the surgery so I decided to sleep through it. I am sure that you will be fine.

pompa Sat 28-Mar-15 09:15:42

I was not only allowed to keep my glasses, but I took my MP3 player and headphones (although I was chatting to anesthetist most of the time)
I have found GA's take a long time to get out of the system and have caused me nausea and depression (could have killed myself after having a kidney removed, 14 hour op)
Another advantage of an epidural is that the anesthetic effect takes several hours to gradually wear off, during which time you won't need any pain relief and will be able to sleep well.

Ariadne Sat 28-Mar-15 09:26:22

I had epidurals for my knee replacement (last April) and my hip replacement (January) and they were excellent - the sedatives knocked me out and I woke up comfortable and hungry.

Quite a few of us have had replacement surgery recently, Moorcotgirl and there are a couple of threads about our experiences - if you look in "Health" in Forum topics you'll find a lot! Some clever person here might even find you a link!

Good luck with your surgery.

pompa Sat 28-Mar-15 09:31:44

MCG, I think your husband may be disappointed, the op did not improve the look of my knee.

Ariadne Sat 28-Mar-15 09:35:19

Nor mine - still have two chubby little knees, just that one has a scar!

ginny Sat 28-Mar-15 15:40:06

I had both my knees done with epidurals and sedation. No problems and no after effects. They don't look any better but they sure feel better. Now, after 9 months and 4 months the scars are fading well.

Iam64 Sat 28-Mar-15 18:35:41

Welcome to gransnet Mercottgirl and thanks for your post. I'm off for a scan on a knee with osteo arthritis in it. The GP thinks the problems I've had are possibly due to a Bakers Cyst but this thread has reassured me that if/when the knee needs to be replaced, all will be well smile

Nansypansy Sat 25-Apr-15 06:45:44

I've had both knees replaced, 2011 and 2013. I had a GA and epidural and didn't know a thing about it! It was great to be out of pain but you can say goodbye to kneeling after as its like kneeling on stones ..... And hallo to bleeping as you go through the scanner in airports! One bit of advice I will give you is that afterwards when you start physio, the more you put into that physio, and the more you do the exercises at home, the more you will get out of it ..... No pain, no gain is the mantra!

aries52 Sat 09-May-15 18:41:58

Hi there,

I have suffered from arthritis in my knee for several years and it is steadily getting worse. I have been told that I need a knee replacement but keep trying to put it off. Would love to hear from people who have had this operation.
Also, if there is anyone in the Birmingham/Solihull area who could recommend a good surgeon that would be very useful.

pompa Sat 09-May-15 18:46:52

I had my left knee replaced by the NHS 7 months ago, very happy with it. Only had to wait a couple of months.

AshTree Sat 09-May-15 19:15:30

Hello Morcottgirl and welcome to GN! I haven't had any knee or hip replacements (yet!) but a few years ago I had cartilage removed from my left knee. This was done with a spinal block, which is very similar to an epidural but is used for shorter and simpler procedures. It has the same effect, blocking all feeling from the lower half of the body, so there is no sensation whatsoever. I was conscious throughout and in fact watched the entire procedure on a monitor which they swivelled round for me! It was such an odd feeling because, since I couldn't feel anything that was going on, it was as if I was watching someone else's knee being operated on. The recovery is so much quicker - I had a nurse stay with me in the ante-room until my temperature had returned to normal (can't remember now why it drops) and then I was wheeled back to the ward, feeling none the worse for the whole procedure!
Good luck with your op flowers

Lilygran Sat 09-May-15 22:10:55

aries52 don't delay any longer! I put it off for nearly ten years and I really, really wish I hadn't. Life is so much better now.

ginny Sat 09-May-15 23:34:20

If the pain is really bad why put off an operation that can make it better? So glad I had both my knees done last year.

Humbertbear Sun 10-May-15 09:52:47

I had a hip replacement with a spinal and sedative. The best thing about is that the spinal continues to provide pain relief for up to 12 hours after the operation. You are asleep and you really know nothing about what is going on.

Ariadne Sun 10-May-15 19:13:02

No need to put off the operation at all!