Gransnet forums

Health

Morton's Neuroma anyone?

(17 Posts)
Hotmama Sun 29-Mar-15 18:30:38

Have been diagnosed with this by podiatrist. Blooming painful and like walking on a pebble all the time. Anyone else got one and how do you treat/cope? Podiatrist recommends orthotic but am sceptical as have so many other things wrong with my feet! By the way, I've never worn ill fitting shoes in my life and podiatrist thinks could have been caused by previous hallux surgery. Any advice would be much appreciated.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:10:02

I just found this for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFEMY7oCc0

Ex used to want me to wear high heels all the time - watching that, I'm glad I didn't give in.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 29-Mar-15 19:27:43

That video sounds like it was made by Stephen Hawking.

rosequartz Sun 29-Mar-15 19:32:36

You can have an injection or surgery I think.

I'm not sure if it is available on the NHS but worth enquiring from your GP

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:33:59

The voice was a little strange. grin

Greyduster Sun 29-Mar-15 19:44:57

I suffer from morton's neuroma. I don't know how I came to be affected by it, but it feels as if my toes are dislocated, and, as you say, is very painful. The podiatrist moulded me a soft rubber insert to go in between the affected toes (a bit like a gum shield for your toes!). I don't have to wear it all the time, but it does help when it becomes painful. It takes the pressure off the nerves. Like you, I have never worn ill-fitting shoes.

Teetime Sun 29-Mar-15 20:15:48

I had a foot operation last year to rebuild my crumbling toe joints at the same time as 2 of my friends who both had a Morton's neuroma. It was quickly excised under local anaesthetic by a podiatric surgeon (on the NHS) and their recovery was swift and painless both returned to full activity within a few weeks.

annodomini Sun 29-Mar-15 21:47:10

My sister has one and swears by orthotics.

harrigran Sun 29-Mar-15 23:31:41

I have one, sometimes the pain is horrendous and I can't wear heels at all. I permanently have the distinctive red blotch on the top of my foot. I did ask the GP about treatment and he said other health issues were more important, I am not sure whether he meant my health or others in general.

Greyduster Mon 30-Mar-15 08:57:25

I'm sure if he had one, he'd be off to get treatment like a shot!

Hotmama Mon 30-Mar-15 09:34:38

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Although I promised myself I wouldn't have any more surgery on my feet, I like the idea of a permanent solution. I have never been able to wear heels anyway but finding ANY comfy shoes that look just a bit glam is proving impossible. Ok if you wear trousers all the time cos you can get away with trainers but wearing a nice dress and trainers is not a good look! Dreading our cruise later on in the year and a forthcoming wedding. I think I might try the orthotic route first.

harrigran Mon 30-Mar-15 13:13:13

In the summer I wear Fitflop sandals all the time. The thickness of the sole and having toes poking out really eases the pain for me.

Hotmama Mon 30-Mar-15 18:10:21

Yes Harrigran, thick soles really do help. It's shoes to wear with nice dresses that I struggle with.

rosesarered Mon 30-Mar-15 18:48:37

Hello Hotmama, yes, I have had the op for this, twice in fact, on both feet ,a few years apart. the surgeon did say that it could return, but so far so good.
I was only in hospital for half a day in each case, and had a general anaesthetic. the NHS should do it for you, but your GP may only refer you if he thinks it's bad enough, and be prepared for a long wait these days.I had tried all sorts of things, but surgery was the answer in the end. it's a painful condition, and wearing trainers feels the best, but we can't live in trainers.

janerowena Mon 30-Mar-15 23:20:52

I hurt my heel badly, and had to wear Hotter shoes. They were the best I could find, for both comfort and style, at the time.

www.hotter.com/gb/en/womens-shoes

I have several pairs now, and boots. It's hard to go back once you have discovered shoes that you can walk around for five hours in without discomfort. You need to buy in the shop though, really. I can wear a 5 in a shoe but need a 6 in the boots.

Abby5565 Tue 31-Mar-15 23:28:18

Morton's neuroma is so nasty to deal with and so painful.
I found a really helpful site for dealing with Morton's neuroma: www.mortonsneuroma.com

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-15 08:44:18

I have problem feet and swear by orthotics. I agree about trainers/flat lace ups and the odd occasion when we want to wear a frock. I'd love to wear attractive shoes but find it so difficult to find any. "Think" shoes are great, I suspect they're German/Scandi as they're attractive but also good for the feet. Sadly, I'd have to go to somewhere like Harrogate to shop for them, as the Think shop in Manchester has closed. You can buy on line but that would mean sending for and paying for several pairs in order to find the one that fits.
I used to wear Echo, but the depth of the heel has become too shallow for me to wear orthotics in them.

Hotters, they only way to go. There is a design/marketing opportunity out there for all we women of a certain age with our special feet