Gransnet forums

Health

Wisdom teeth

(14 Posts)
storynanny Sun 29-Mar-15 18:35:40

Anyone had experience of a wisdom tooth beginning to emerge in adulthood? I have the corner of one pushing through my gum and now can understand why babies are grizzly when they are teething!
My dentist says I am very unlucky to have one start to move at 58. Apparently it is not impacted so no need for removal. Not sure I want to put up with this soreness for much longer though.
Any experiences you could share?

MamaCaz Sun 29-Mar-15 18:47:27

I have had this problem for all my adult life, with all four wisdom teeth deciding to try to make an appearance at some time or other, but it has been such a slow process that even now, at 54, only two of mine are anything like fully erupted. The other two are still only partly exposed.

I find that the soreness/discomfort comes and goes. The problem is that it is almost impossible to clean those teeth properly, through lack of space in the back of the mouth, and that means that infection sets in now and then.

I get the impression that nowadays, wisdom teeth are only removed if there is the risk of a serious problem, so like you, I'm stuck with mine.

crun Mon 30-Mar-15 01:03:26

I don't remember when mine erupted, but I had all four out about 15-20 years ago. They weren't particularly sore, but they were impacted. My left back bottom tooth is damaged because I put off having them out.

Teetime Mon 30-Mar-15 15:21:11

My wisdom teeth didn't emerge until my thirties accompanied by headaches and jaw ache but thankfully since then no problems.

On a lighter note I saw a comedy sketch the other day where Michael Mackintyre tells the tale of having his wisdom teeth out - it was the funniest thing I have seen for a long while. It takes a lot to make me cry with laughter but I did and so did DH. Toothache and dental problems are not at all funny but this sketch was hilarious.

kittylester Mon 30-Mar-15 15:45:56

Even DH laughed at that Teetime and he never laughs at dental jokes! tbugrin

Juliette Mon 30-Mar-15 15:58:41

I have just watched on U-Tube Teetime. It is indeed very funny.
Visit to dentist for me tomorrow, hope it's equally as amusing.

Teetime Mon 30-Mar-15 17:30:55

smile

crun Mon 30-Mar-15 19:07:37

Marathons are not very safe for your teeth. smile

Teetime Tue 31-Mar-15 08:59:52

A sugared almond cost me £2000 a few years ago- don't eat them now.

Nimita Fri 12-Jun-15 11:47:09

Wisdom teeth are very painful and for me it began at the age of 27 and i had decided to remove them at the earliest. Of course there is pain even in the removal procedure but i think it's worth it rather than waiting for these teeth to grow fully.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Jun-15 19:19:04

Wow, Teetime! I keep off the pork crackling since one piece took out 2 fillings and cracked 2 teeth, but £2000!! shock

Mishap Fri 12-Jun-15 19:56:46

I have no wisdom teeth. X-rays have shown that they are quite simply missing. The dentist told me that humans will cease to have them over time, and that I am evolutionarily superior! I chose to believe him!

Pippa000 Sat 13-Jun-15 09:04:13

My wisdom teeth are still hiding and have refused to show them selves, on X-ray they can be seen under the surface of my gums, at my advanced age I have been told they will never erupt. Which probably explains my lack of wisdom . grin

vampirequeen Sat 13-Jun-15 10:27:51

Mine came through in my thirties. The eruptions were so sore and painful that I became as grizzly a baby. Then eventually they had to be removed which, considering I'm a dental phobic, was beyond traumatic.