Gransnet forums

Health

Blood Test

(7 Posts)
Falconbird Fri 22-May-15 06:56:40

Two or three weeks before my Dh has admitted to hospital where he sadly passed away he had an emergency blood test and it came back as normal.

It gave us false hope that his problems weren't cancer related.

When he was admitted to hospital they did another blood test and it showed abnormal levels of white blood cells. He died 10 days later.

I've never been able to figure this out. Any Grans out there who can explain this.

Why didn't the white blood cells show up on the emergency blood test only about a month to six weeks before he passed away.

For some emotional reason I can't ask my GP about this.

confused sad

loopylou Fri 22-May-15 07:13:07

Abnormal white blood cells levels generally indicate an infection if high Falconbird.
If low levels then means someone's immune system is compromised and they will struggle to fight off any infection and can be caused by cancer.

If the cells look abnormal then this again may be a form of cancer.

It's likely that this happened after the earlier blood test and therefore wouldn't have shown up.

I fully understand why you're struggling to understand, have you thought of phoning a Cancer helpline or your local hospice might be able to talk through it with you?

Teetime Fri 22-May-15 09:33:35

falconbird it rather depends on what they tested the blood sample for- they may not have asked for a full blood count. You can ask to look at the medical notes, there is a procedure to go through but it may answer your questions.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 09:52:51

By "abnormal levels" of white blood cells, do you mean high or low? If high, could he have developed an infection due to his poorly condition? sad

I really think you have to take a deep breath and talk to your doctor about this. It is clearly eating away at you and talking could clarify this point, and could well be of some help to you. flowers

Falconbird Fri 22-May-15 10:53:14

Thanks Grans, flowers

Yes I will ring MacMillan one day. I think it's the only answer.

It only bothers me from time to time when I think - oh I should have been more together, asked more questions etc., but I wasn't functioning properly at the time.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 11:47:24

Of course you weren't functioning properly at the time. sad But it's not too late. I think your doc would understand.

loopylou Fri 22-May-15 14:05:20

It's completely understandable that you didn't ask at the time, you were probably in pieces at the time andI and many other GNs would be the same.

However, if it continues to bother you sometimes then do phone, or even write, so your mind can be put at rest.