Gransnet forums

Health

Odd occurrence at end of shower.

(17 Posts)
Katek Thu 28-May-15 10:55:54

I just started to itch uncontrollably, predominantly down my outer thighs and top of my back and chest. I did what you shouldn't and scrubbed at myself with the towel, but ended up having to find last year's after sun cream to try and cool it down. No weals, no rash just redness and unbearable itch. I hadn't used any new toiletries either which might have explained it. Very weird...surely I'm not allergic to water?!?

Bellanonna Thu 28-May-15 11:47:08

Had you taken any different medicines? Sounds like a strong allergic reaction to something. Was the bathroom window open, in case there are any pollens around? I had that happen on a train once. Uncontrollable itching of scalp, palms, soles of feet in particular and everywhere else in general. It could have been someone's after shave or perfume and I imagine we can start to be allergic to things that previously didn't affect us. I now itch around perfumes and find theatre trips often trigger an episode. DH has to use scent free aftershave. Calamine should help you for now and I hope it settles down but do think about anything you may have had or used today. Good luck.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 12:02:40

Are you a young granny? Of an age to be menopausal? Itching can be a symptom.

When I was going through the menopause I couldn't go in the sea at all because frantic itching followed.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 12:03:46

I know you weren't in the sea, so that remark as totally irrelevant. But still...

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 12:04:05

was

rubysong Thu 28-May-15 12:16:50

I hope you are feeling better now. I think I am allergic to hot water and my hands become swollen and itchy with dermatitis if I put them in water a bit too hot. It isn't scalding, it is a reaction that starts about 24 hours later. E45 anti itch cream may help you. Could you have used new washing powder on a flannel or used a new sponge or something?

harrigran Thu 28-May-15 12:50:12

At present we are having our main water pipes flushed out, building works down the road. The chlorine or whatever water purifier is very strong at present and can irritate the skin, perhaps you have a similar situation.

ffinnochio Thu 28-May-15 13:23:18

Hot showers with soapy get + dehydration + menopausal/post menopausal = skin gets dryer.

Have tepid showers (& less of them), drink more water, change your shower gel to one that has no 'soap' in it, and use a good but very plain skin moisturiser.

I took this route and it worked.

Good luck - the itching can be miserable.

ffinnochio Thu 28-May-15 13:23:57

gel

Coolgran65 Thu 28-May-15 13:25:48

Detergent in the towel ?

janeainsworth Thu 28-May-15 13:32:34

Agree with ffin's advice.
I used to get this a lot and stopped going swimming because of it.
I now use BioOil all over after showering - expensive but very effective.

annodomini Thu 28-May-15 13:39:49

I find that Lanacaine powder (prescribed by nurse practitioner) is soothing, though on initial application it just might sting slightly if the skin is inflamed. The Lanacaine cream is also good for relieving itching.

hildajenniJ Thu 28-May-15 14:16:28

I use E45 cream. Since I stopped using all shampoos except Baby shampoo all the itching has stopped. I still have eczema here and there in patches, but even that is less irritable.

HildaW Thu 28-May-15 15:42:50

I slowly jettisoned all chemical based products after I felt my skin had tipped over into a more delicate post menopausal state. Went down the Neal's Yard route and touch wood have not had any more episodes. At one time I had to stop using everything except water to find out what suited. E45 stuff is also very safe and gentle when all else fails.

We also had to have a re-think on detergents after my husband had problems with the excellent value one that Aldi do. Good Housekeeping rate it, but something in it caused him to itch in an embarrassing place so we went back to Persil. I also stopped using fabric conditioners and just make every effort to dry towels and sheets on the line (weather permitting).

nightowl Thu 28-May-15 16:40:05

I have suffered with sensitised skin and full blown allergies since the start of the menopause and have tried everything. I did use E45 but I moved on from that when I realised that the ingredients are far from natural - liquid paraffin (yuk) and also lanolin which, although natural often causes allergic reactions. I prefer more natural products such as Neals Yard (like HildaW) and Faith in Nature shower gels and shampoos. I always use Ecover laundry products and a certain brand of skin care which I won't advertise on here. I find it ironic that most products that seem to cause bad reactions are produced by companies that still test on animals, whereas all the products I use are cruelty free and extremely gentle. It does make me wonder what the point of all these animal tests can be.

thatbags Thu 28-May-15 16:45:40

I do similar to what ffinn recommends. The difference is that I use Simple soap or plain olive oil soap with no perfumes in them rather than shower gel. Works for me too except for a small patch on my back that always itches when I get undressed for bed. I scratch it with my hairbrush. There's no soreness or dryness. It's just weird.

The first sign I get if I have to use perfumed products, when away from home or something, is that my eyelids get sore. That's weird too.

Katek Thu 28-May-15 21:29:17

Thanks for all the helpful tips....I bought some baby wash from local chemist today and will try it this evening. I was a bit edgy about showering earlier with the same products as yesterday in case I set it off again, so have waited until this evening. Jings-I only wish I was a young granny but my 50's are a long time in the past! Like the hairbrush bags!