Gransnet forums

Health

Complete reverse shoulder replacement surgery

(11 Posts)
beebies Fri 04-Sep-15 12:24:16

Has anyone had this operation ?

annodomini Fri 04-Sep-15 13:17:09

Could you explain what 'reverse replacement' means? I've had a partial replacement of one shoulder which was, before the op, extremely painful.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 13:21:55

I have a friend who did - and it wasn't all that successful, she is now waiting for another one. I had awful visions of her swapping her arms over before she explained it. Come to think of it, I haven't heard from her for a couple of weeks - maybe she has already been hauled in.

Teetime Fri 04-Sep-15 14:15:48

My mother had one about 15 years ago now and it was very successful and didn't seem to cause her too much pain.

Nelliemoser Fri 04-Sep-15 14:26:49

An aquantance of mine has recently had one, I think they sort of put the joint back a different way round.

orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00504
It is a long recovery but she is managing.

beebies Fri 04-Sep-15 15:15:45

Thank you Nelliemoser for posting the link for the benefit of others. I had this operation early April following a fall which resulted in four fractures of the shoulder. The operation was successful and since then have been seeing a physio weekly, daily exercises and follow up x rays and consultation with my consultant who is pleased with my progress. I was just wondering if there was someone on the forum who had had the operation and how long it took to be pain free. I sometimes feel I am carrying a couple of bricks around in the shoulder and a constant ache/pain not always helped by paracetamol/ibrofrufen. I am 70 years old and until now didn't think I had a low pain threshold which others assume. A reassurance from someone that this will get better would be wonderful. Thank you.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 17:38:56

I contacted my friend, she thought she would have to have another but that was because she hadn't realised how long it would take, she only THOUGHT it hadn't worked!

I shall message you, with info from another friend who had it 7 weeks ago. There may be something in there to help. She has done a lot more googling than friend no1. No, actually - here it is, someone else may need it, I shall obliterate personal bits. I'm wondering now what causes it?

'Hi Jane, I had it done 7weeks ago. It was put back as I was going on holiday too soon afterwards.
I'm still in pain,obviously not as bad. But I haven't got very good movement. At the 6 week check up,the consultant told me, I will never have full
control movement, as my muscles are shot. I've got to learn new ways of doing things. It will take up to 18months to completely feel better.
I googled all the information I could,and saw exactly what the replacement looked like. Mine is made from stainless steel,and the scar is about 6,8 ins. It doesn't show very much,even with sleeveless tops. It is a painful op, and it is major surgery.
I'm still struggling pulling on trousers,and doing bras up the front,then twisting them round. I can't get out of a bath,so still having showers.
My husband had to dry me for quite a few weeks. '

She sends her regards.

beebies Fri 04-Sep-15 20:57:41

Thank you everyone for your comments, especially Janerowena. I can empathise with what you say, doing up bras, husband helping to dry, etc. I too thought the operation had gone wrong as I was In so much discomfort, and still am, but am told everything is ok. The consultant mentioned regional pain syndrome, muscle rebuilding and nerve endings so guess I just have to be patient. I am so grateful to everyone. Kind regards and thank you. I wish you all the very best with your recovery.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 22:36:55

I shall tell her, beebies. She is just a bit older than you, too.

lizzi50 Fri 04-Sep-15 22:46:46

Can I ask what was the reason for having the operation? My left shoulder and top of arm have been painful for 10 months. I'm limited in some movements - can't do up bra at back for eg yet can stretch whole arm out in front of me. It seems to be small movements which are excruciatingly painful. Had ultra sound and steroid injection ...

beebies Sun 06-Sep-15 10:26:06

Lizzi50
I had the operation as I fell at home and broke my shoulder in four places. The consultant said the fractures were impossible to repair and suggested this operation as opposed to plates in the shoulder as it would give me more movement. Regards