Gransnet forums

Health

Mammogram recall

(65 Posts)
eniluap Tue 03-May-16 17:18:38

My anxieties have anxieties today as I have an appointment tomorrow for a Mammogram recall. I am 68 and never happened before so has come as a bit of a shock. Just need some positive thoughts and helpful words that will get me through tonight and tomorrow. Pauline x

grandma60 Tue 03-May-16 17:29:27

Hello eniluap This happened to me nearly 3 years ago. It is frightening isn't it?. My letter came on a Thursday for a recall the following Monday so I was left panicking all over the weekend. I was almost rigid with terror for most of that time and hardly slept. Anyway the staff at the hospital were lovely and it turned out to be a benign cyst which was drained there and then with no further treatment to be had. Apparently only one in ten recalls need further treatment and then it may not be cancer. No good saying try not to worry but I hope my experience helps.

shysal Tue 03-May-16 17:37:55

The same happened to me a few years ago. It turned out to be innocent duct ectasia requiring no treatment. It is impossible not to worry although the majority of recalls are not for cancer. Take care, and come back on here if you need to. Hope all goes well tomorrow, let us know how you get on.flowers

Lillie Tue 03-May-16 17:43:37

I sympathise with you, eniluap, it's a horrible feeling, isn't it? Four or five years ago I was on holiday when I got a call on my mobile to attend a mammogram recall, so I got myself back pretty sharpish. The consultant radiographer took picture ofter picture, pushing me this way and that to try and establish the spot, all to no avail. She thought it must have been a blood vessel. I hope you get good news tomorrow.

Teamliquid123 Tue 03-May-16 17:46:40

I know 5 women who have been recalled. One of the criticisms levelled at mammograms is the anxiety caused by recalls. In one instance a friend was invited for a repeat because the technician didn't smooth the breast well enough and a skin fold showed suspicious on the image. They just want a clearer picture. How do you keep calm and objective? I don't know because we all worry about such things but please try and think that most of the people recalled were told everything is ok and why shouldn't you be one of them?

tiredoldwoman Tue 03-May-16 17:49:11

I had a recall after my first ever mammogram 10 years ago ,and I was anxious too .But after many pokings and squashings at different angles they decided that I was fine . I came out of the room to see my poor daughter crying and being cuddled by another patient , she's been terrified as well . We went off for cake and hot chocolate to celebrate !! It tasted mighty fine - enjoy yours !

Luckygirl Tue 03-May-16 17:56:42

I have had several recalls - all were fine in the end. Most recalls do turn out to be fine but it is pretty anxiety-provoking at the time. Good luck for tomorrow.

Charleygirl Tue 03-May-16 18:20:57

I have never had a recall so I cannot tell you not to worry because it is in our nature. At least you do not have long to wait and as others have said it will probably turn out to be nothing flowers and like others, go and treat yourself afterwards. With luck it will be a machine malfunction.

sarah12345 Tue 03-May-16 18:36:50

I too was recalled after my first mammogram but it turned out that the image was a bit blurred and they just needed a clearer picture. I was fine. My friend had a similar experience a couple of years later. She is fine too. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

eniluap Tue 03-May-16 18:38:53

Oh thank you all so much for your responses to my anxiety ridden message. I have had the recall letter since last Thursday so it has not been a good 6 days. Been away at our caravan on the North Norfolk Coast to try and blow some of the blues away and it worked until I had to come home! Bach's Rescue Remedy is working overtime at the moment!!!

hildajenniJ Tue 03-May-16 18:40:42

Last summer I had a mammogram recall. I was really worried too, but my fears were groundless as it turned out to be a cyst. They drained it there and then. What a relief. I do hope all goes well for you too. Please keep us informed, and good luck.

chelseababy Tue 03-May-16 20:06:44

I had a recall too, it was a calcium deposit. Do let us know how you get on.

Marydoll Tue 03-May-16 20:16:13

I had a recall and had to go back the day before Christmas Eve. As you can imagine it put a damper on the preparations for Christmas. I had previously had cysts drained and was convinced this time it would be serious. I couldn't sleep for thinking about it. It's human nature to worry. Three consultants and a lot of prodding later, I was told nothing to worry about. The staff were so kind and reassuring, especially as the waiting room was full of very anxious ladies. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Remember, you will be in the hands of the experts, who will do everything to put you at ease and do their best for you.

Margsus Tue 03-May-16 20:17:55

I also had a recall, turns out I have calcification in both boobs, nothing to worry about. Hope all goes well for you.

Linsco56 Tue 03-May-16 21:19:56

Please don't worry. My aunt who is only 10 years older than me was recalled recently and I accompanied her for the second screening. The lady operating the scan said everything was perfectly clear and went on to explain that in most instances of recall there had been something wrong with the scanning equipment during the first scan. Hope everything turns out well for you.

eniluap Tue 03-May-16 21:28:51

Thanks again for all your positive comments - you have no idea how much it is helping me right now X

jogginggirl Tue 03-May-16 21:35:34

Sending 'gentle' hugs and warm wishes - let us know how it goes ?

Katek Tue 03-May-16 22:28:35

I had a recall as well and then an appointment for ultrasound. They couldn't find anything! Turns out it was a fluid filled cyst which the second mammogram had popped! Try and stay as positive as you can, the odds are its nothing serious.

fiorentina51 Wed 04-May-16 02:05:21

Six weeks after the death of my brother from cancer, I had a recall too. Cue me going into panic mode and almost at the point of checking my last will and testament. I went to have the biopsy full of dread. The staff were fantastic and reassured me that they thought it was probably a cyst. A couple of days later I had a phone call to say all was well. However, 24 hours later I had another call to ask me to go back! I went back into double panic mode. I didn't think to ask why so my DH suggested I call my designated nurse. She said that the biopsy was inconclusive. They were either expecting to see cancer cells or cyst fluid. What they got was healthy breast tissue. Basically they had missed the target so to speak so hence the second d recall. At my second appointment I had the same great team who got the spot and I watched enthralled as the cyst collapsed when they drained it. To be on the safe side it was analysed and all was well.
Oh by the way. We put a bottle of Champagne in the fridge so that we could either drown our sorrows or celebrate on our return home. I suggest you do the same! Best wishes ?

tiredoldwoman Wed 04-May-16 04:57:33

I woke up thinking of you , I think that you might be awake too ?
Hope all goes well today x .

eniluap Wed 04-May-16 06:42:49

Yes am awake and thank you for your thoughts this morning - x

Nana3 Wed 04-May-16 07:12:18

Good Luck today eniluap thinking of you flowers

mumofmadboys Wed 04-May-16 07:21:39

It will soon be over. Wishing you well xx

pensionpat Wed 04-May-16 07:23:06

Good luck enilaup.

morethan2 Wed 04-May-16 07:37:58

Thinking of you today, flowers chin up, fingers crossed. Let us know.