Gransnet forums

Health

FODMAPs

(8 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 29-May-16 09:16:52

Has anyone followed this. Having taken wheat out of my diet to see what happened with good results I now have to add it back in to have some blood tests and then go on to the FODMAPs diet. It seems to be the least logical selection of good and bad foods (for those who need them not for everyonesmile)I have every come across. If you use this could you tell me where you start? confused

tanith Sun 29-May-16 09:31:20

I just took a quick look and the lists are huge, could you make a list of foods you eat on the not good side and cut them,then a list of foods you could eat on the good list and add them to your diet.
That's where I would start I don't envy you that job grin

Anniebach Sun 29-May-16 10:11:44

Just looked at it, think best I just stop eating food

Gracesgran Sun 29-May-16 10:25:28

You are right and I am going to have to go one or two foods at a time tanith. Really, when I said it didn't seem logical I suppose it is that I wasn't brought up with such a grouping. I could learn more about carbohydrates for instance as I have a base to work on. I shall have to see myself coming from child's level with this I think smile

Anniebach you are safe unless you have any particular gut (isn't that a harsh word - or is it because mine seems not to be working properly smile)problems.

FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligo-Di-Monosaccharides and Polyols; they are fermentable, poorly absorbed short-chain carbs - but that doesn't make it any easier confusedsmile

Anniebach Sun 29-May-16 10:32:28

Gracesgran, with a stomach ulcer, wonky kidney, IBS I am fed up with food , takes longer to work out what or what not to eat than knocking down a brick wall on a family tree

Gracesgran Sun 29-May-16 10:44:21

I didn't know Annie. Perhaps you, like me, will learn more about this smile. At least, if your doctor gives you the list you will not look as blank as I did grin. You have to stay on it wholly for six weeks and then add things back in to see which, if any, are making a difference so it may be better after that.

Anniebach Sun 29-May-16 11:23:15

So complicated isn't it Gracesgran , worth a try though, do let me know how you get on with it please

Gracesgran Mon 30-May-16 12:44:27

Just bumping this in case anyone has more information smile