Gransnet forums

Health

The new 'how old is your heart test"

(11 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 29-Sep-16 11:04:20

Recently I went to the doctorsand, after a series of tests p, she told me that, "your heart age is 66" As I am 68 I thought that was good news. Today I completed the test on line and it gave my heart age as 76". Has anybody else done the test?

Charleygirl Thu 29-Sep-16 11:53:08

No but I would be inclined to believe your GP.

Nonnie Thu 29-Sep-16 12:03:22

Can you give us a link, might be fun!

Ana Thu 29-Sep-16 12:10:16

www.bhf.org.uk/heartage

Haven't done it yet, will report back later!

thatbags Thu 29-Sep-16 13:01:28

The test gives too much weight to one's postcode. I think this is because certain areas have a higher epidemiological risk of things like heart disease and stroke. So, even though I've never smoked, I'm not overweight, do not have cardiovascular disease nor have any family history of it, because of my postcode makes reference to Glasgow it thinks my heart age is higher than my actual age.

In short, it's a very clumsy epidemiological device.

As I told my GP, my current postcode does not tell him, or anyone else, anything about me. My postcode has been all over the place. I think I'll try the test with a few of the others.

Mildred Thu 29-Sep-16 13:42:36

Agree with thatbags as my postcode is Liverpool. I found this worked to my advantage when I retired though.

Synonymous Thu 29-Sep-16 14:25:29

I think the answer to this is on my birth certificate. hmm

hildajenniJ Thu 29-Sep-16 14:37:21

It tells me I'm overweight. I already knew this. It tells me my BP is high - normal, I already knew this. I'm still active, and nobody in my family has had heart disease. My Granny always said that when a woman reaches a certain age, she needs a bit of weight about her. I'm inclined to agree, therefore I'm not worried.

Greyduster Thu 29-Sep-16 14:43:07

According to this test, my heart age is 71 (I am a few weeks off 70). By pressing the buttons to reduce my blood pressure (which my doctor tells me is fine), reduce my cholesterol (which I didn't give a reading for) and lose weight (well, okay I need to lose about half a stone), my heart age goes down to 69! Hardly worth the bother. If postcode is a factor, it would tell them absolutely nothing about me.

thatbags Thu 29-Sep-16 14:48:34

Further test testing, if you see what I mean, suggests to me that knowing one's cholesterol level and one's usual BP makes a difference too.

I thought it was normal for healthy people not to know these things.

Also, any test that claims "most people" have an older heart age than their chronological age is highly dubious right from kickoff as far as I'm concerned. Those people on the FutureLearn site who are doing the course in how to read media health 'reporting' should use this test to exercise their new found skills in bunkum-finding.

SueDonim Thu 29-Sep-16 15:54:55

My heart is a year younger than the rest of me. confused