Gransnet forums

Health

calorie counting

(43 Posts)
justonemore Thu 29-Sep-16 15:21:10

Hello,

I've been advised by my doctor to lose weight - about a stone ideally - and thought to myself, fine I'll eat less and move more. Simple. Then comes along my niece, who says calorie counting is often counter-productive anyway because it's the quality of the calories you're consuming that matters, and if you cut right down you might end up not losing any weight either. Does that mean I can eat the same amount if I make sure it's better food? Now I'm thoroughly confused I'll admit to a sweet tooth, and I do graze on things I shouldn't, particularly in the evening, so clearly that's the first thing to go. If anyone has any advice, I'd be most appreciative!

Thank you,
justonemore

mumofmadboys Thu 29-Sep-16 15:32:52

I think your plan to eat less and exercise more is a good one. Obviously it is better to eat plenty of fruit and veg but there is no harm in the odd chocolate bar if you cut down on other things that day. The less you think about food the better. Distract yourself with other things! Good luck!

tanith Thu 29-Sep-16 16:23:23

One of my daughters eats huge amounts but its mostly veg or salad with a bit of protein, a small breakfast and lunch. She does this for 5 week days then eats a bit of what she fancies at the weekends. She maintains her slim figure like this. I only wish I had her will power as I need to lose a good stone and like you I snack in the evenings.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 16:25:09

Just make sure you include the sweet things and snacks in your calorie count. It's quite easy to overlook them.

There are sites where you can work out your target calorie intake. You can also buy little books or there are websites (such as 'Food Focus') where you can work out the calories of most common foods.

I find using smaller plates and weighing things helps.

No, unfortunately, you can't just eat the same amount, but better food. Obviously eating your entire calorie intake in the form of chocolate cake will mean you miss out on essential nutrients, but a 100% kale diet won't be much good for you either. Cut out the obvious sweet stuff, including sauces and anything with a high calorie content (read the labels) and eat less of it.

justonemore Thu 29-Sep-16 16:34:43

It's the evenings that muck everything up, isn't it Tanith? I find it difficult to resist.

And yes, you're right mumofmadboys, I do need distraction. I may take up cross stitch again in an attempt to keep my hands busy!

daphnedill, thanks for that information - am I right in thinking I could make a homemade curry or soup, for instance, and then work out the calories through the website?

shysal Thu 29-Sep-16 17:18:30

You might like to have a look at this site. There is also a support thread on here for those following this way of eating. No calorie counting needed!
www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 17:49:01

@justonemore

Yes. You only have to do it the first time you make something, then you know how much is in a portion.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 17:53:01

shysal,

I think the claim on the website is a bit misleading. I do eat a low carb diet, because I'm diabetic, but I still have to watch calories. You'd soon pile on the weight if you restricted yourself to low carb meat and nuts (for example) but ate loads of them.

mumofmadboys Thu 29-Sep-16 17:55:27

I weigh myself on an accurate electronic scales every morning. If it goes up I eat less that day and I never surprise myself and find I've put on 4 or 5 pounds. For me this works well and I'm gradually getting my weight down.

daphnedill Fri 30-Sep-16 17:27:09

That weight is probably fluid. I'm not overweight, but I'm verging on it, so if I want to cheer myself up I weigh myself after I've had a wee. It sometimes makes a big difference! I know I'm cheating.

gettingonabit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:03:25

I'm a bit obsessed with calories and do My Fitness Pal and Fitbit. I get allocated a limit of 1200 cals a day (any sort)!. I lose weight slowly if I stick to it (which I do, to be honest). I eat most of my calories between 1-7pm.

I measure steps and do a minimum of 10000 a day, using fitbit.

I think there is some recent evidence to suggest that not all calories are the same, but are metabolised differently by the body. Sugar apparently burns differently to, say, lentils. Not sure of the science. There is also some evidence to suggest that fasting is good too; hence the popularity of the 5:2 diet.

Find a way of eating that works for you, and stick to it.

Badenkate Sat 01-Oct-16 08:37:00

I'm trying to lose weight (aren't we all sad - no I know some of you are lucky/self-controlled) and being a control freak, I find calorie counting is best for me. As dd says, once you've calculated something you don't have to do it again. The NHS site has a calorie counter plus dieting help www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/calorie-counting.aspx?utm_campaign=Weight+loss+email+-+Week+1+-+080414&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=. I also have an electronic scale I use everyday although everyone says you shouldn't. But again I find, being a control-freak, I like to keep an idea of what's happening and I'm sensible enough to know there are fluctuations in weight and I can see an overall general trend.

I know a lot of people go for the 5:2 route, but it just makes me feel ill.

Soupy Sat 01-Oct-16 08:54:57

I also weigh myself first thing in the morning every day and have lost 10lbs so far. Weighing daily means that I can adjust if things seems to be going upwards again, which it did by 2lbs after a weekend away. Before I would have given up and just eaten more but this time I told myself that it was just a temporary blip and the extra weight went within a few days once I got back to eating normally.

For me I find it's a mixture of more activity and eating smaller portions/cutting out snacks although I do believe it's a mindset more than anything else.

I make small adjustments throughout the day eg if I'm meeting a friend for coffee I'll have a much smaller breakfast so I can have something with my coffee plus I no longer eat a full three course meal when out.

Good luck with it all. One stone isn't much to lose but can often be harder than losing lots.

Shesanana Sat 01-Oct-16 09:44:25

I used the 5:2 diet about 3 or 4 years ago when I realised my weight had almost reached my pregnancy weight! I'd always been slim but a combination of health issues (thyroid) and packing up smoking, along with just being older smile had taken their toll. It worked well for me and when I reached my target I continued with 6:1 for quite a while. However I am now finding the weight is creeping back on so I will do it again I think.

nannypink1 Sat 01-Oct-16 10:04:13

Both myself and my husband have lost a lot of weight on Slimming World. He's lost 3.5st now non diabetic and off blood pressure tabs. I've lost 2.5st. No calorie counting just sticking to the plan. Never hungry but you can eat so.much. No.brainer

CleopatraSoup Sat 01-Oct-16 10:11:45

I lost a stone using Weight Watchers. I found it much easier to calculate points rather than calories (26 per day). You can eat whatever you like really as long as you count the points. Healthy foods (like fruit and veg) are very low or zero in points. The drawback is that it costs about £20-something per month. Their magazine is good for recipes.

I've heard Slimming World is good too. They have some nice recipes.
www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/lunch-recipes.aspx

I found making a weekly meal plan helpful.

CleopatraSoup Sat 01-Oct-16 10:13:18

Nannypink that's great news.

Badenkate Sat 01-Oct-16 10:19:48

One of the problems I found with Slimming World is that it is often difficult to find a quick lunch when you're out that doesn't involve something you're not supposed to eat much of - such as bread. If you're really well-organised I know you can make your own but life doesn't work like that sometimes. I'm also concerned about what is added to the 'treats' they sell - what these artificial sweeteners actually do to you. The fruit/veg part is good - but let's face it, the basics of what you have to do to lose weight are obvious and you don't need to pay £5 each week for someone to tell you them!

CleopatraSoup Sat 01-Oct-16 10:29:40

I also would not recommend artificial sweeteners. I avoid all foods and drinks that have them added as I hate the bitter after-flavour. Sweeteners are even in many brands of toothpaste FGS. Yuk! Plus we don't really know if they are harmful or not.

nannieann Sat 01-Oct-16 10:31:17

Even though I've done Weightwatchers , I still prefer to count calories as well. There's loads of info online. Eat plenty of fruit and veg, smaller amounts of carbohydrates and a moderate amount of lean protein. Snack on fruit if possible but allow yourself one small treat and perhaps a little alcoholic drink in the evenings. Do some exercise every day and keep moving as it helps you feel more motivated. Don't be put off if you slip up -just keep cool and carry on. I've managed to lose a stone and a half this year by this method. Good luck !! It is possible if you keep going.

Venus Sat 01-Oct-16 10:43:30

Just eat until you feel you've had enough and no more. When you feel bloated, you have eaten too much. Use small plates to put your food on, and stay away from sugary things. You will lose weight.

Lewlew Sat 01-Oct-16 11:10:37

As we used to do in the US in restaurants, I have a big salad before having the main course.(I do miss salad bars!) A really good salad with lettuces, tomatoes, carrots, etc, with balsamic dressing, really fills the hole.

Make sure you protein is low fat. I love fish and shellfish. Lean mince, chicken portions without skin (that is SO fatty and one of my weaknesses), trim fat off any chops and bin it along with chicken skin after cooking.

If there is leftover food on your OH's, or anyone's plate, or scraps in the pan ... and you are alone with them, eg in the kitchen to prepare for washing up or dw loading?

POUR FAIRY LIQUID OVER EVERYTHING, then scrape into the bin. That has saved me many times.

Do not eat anything after 8pm. I save any mini-desserts for then so I don't go to bed hungry.

Crystalgrandma Sat 01-Oct-16 12:33:12

I've tried many diets over the years- none very successful - and I couldn't cope with all that calories counting! I now go to Slimming World and find it works for me. They encourage you to fill up on vegetables. If I know I am going out for lunch,I take a low calorie Alpen bar and an apple. Subway salads, without dressing are good. Salads can be made up and taken in a plastic box. When at home I make a batch Slimming World soup and freeze some for other days. I also have salad. Their website is very informative. I consider the weekly charge well spent- and the groups are very friendly and you can pick up lots of tips. Iceland sell a range of Slimming World products, but I prefer to cook my own. The real bonus is lots of lovely new clothes.

Perdita33 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:02:25

You don't need to count calories, just cut out carbohydrates, especially sugar and processed rubbish. Eat proper food!

Disgruntled Sat 01-Oct-16 13:36:02

I lost a couple of stone by changing to an alkaline diet - though I don't regard it as a diet, it's a change in lifestyle, or something, I.e. I intend to keep eating healthily.