Gransnet forums

Health

Tips for the elderly to reduce weight.

(21 Posts)
CWilly Fri 30-Sep-16 06:47:05

The other day I was doing my daily reading and I found some interesting article on weight losing tips for the elderly. Well, all us know how difficult it is for us, the above 50, to lose weight. It's like the most impossible thing. But it seems like we can and that too with some simple daily change in routine.

* Drinking more water. At least 9 glasses per day.
* Doing a bit of stretching regularly.
* Adding lots of proteins in your diet.
* Focus on losing fat and not weight.
These do seem like some easy tips right. You can also add on if you know any. Please do. Cause reducing fat is more necessary for us than any other young people or teenager.

whitewave Fri 30-Sep-16 06:51:22

I can but hopesad

Less carbs/no carbs another tip

Jane10 Fri 30-Sep-16 07:05:06

I never met a carb I didn't love! Sigh.
Intermittent fasting suits me though. (aka 5:2)

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 07:35:19

Yes, 5:2 here as well.

I know I should drink more water, but hadn't heard it was linked to weight loss, so that might spur me on - thanks for the tip.

Liz46 Fri 30-Sep-16 07:37:31

I suppose I can't have white wine instead of water?

janeainsworth Fri 30-Sep-16 07:47:53

It's ok to be a little bit fat, according to the Lancet:
www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/09/19/is-it-okay-to-be-a-little-bit-fat-a-new-study-offers-an-answer/
Have you got a link to your article, Willy? 9 glasses of water seems rather a lot.

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Sep-16 07:59:33

Hmm, yes. On reflection I wouldn't dare stray far from a loo!

Im68Now Fri 30-Sep-16 08:02:47

Why don't people just try to eat less, exercise more (if you can). At our age the joints do seem to go a lot slower than what I remember. And the temptations are so great these days and Christmas is just around the corner, I'll take my advice next year, I hope. smile

Grannyknot Fri 30-Sep-16 08:11:33

A friend of mine who was a GP has lost a great deal of weight since she retired, firstly by working less, which means she has more time for exercise, and secondly, she swears by intermittent fasting which she does by eating earlier and then pushing her first meal of the day to later (on the "fasting" days) - in other words most of the fasting is done overnight. She aims for a 14 hour fast twice a week.

Christinefrance Fri 30-Sep-16 08:26:17

I don't want to be an ' elderly ' anything . I am a mature lady and find the 5:2 method of keeping weight off works for me and several friends.

Alima Fri 30-Sep-16 08:44:17

We have found we don't have the larger servings we used to eat, just cannot manage anymore. So not everyone is the same then? I do, however, manage to eat more of the stuff I shouldn't, not good.

Nelliemoser Fri 30-Sep-16 08:56:27

I have decided on a 5:2 day I am above my prefered 55kg. I lost a lot a stone of weight by doing this a few years ago but I do need a few top up days particularly after holidays.

Nelliemoser Fri 30-Sep-16 08:59:58

Doing the 5:2 has meant I have adjusted quite happily to the lack of food on the two 500cals day. It has probably made me more aware that I can mamage well eating smaller protions the rest of the time.

Juggernaut Fri 30-Sep-16 18:36:53

Errr, I could be completely off the mark here, but something about the OP's username and style of writing makes me think there's nothing remotely 'real' about them!

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Sep-16 18:53:43

I expressed some doubts to GNHQ this morning and then thought shame on myself for my adolescent sense of humour blush

Jalima Fri 30-Sep-16 20:15:04

It's not much of an incentive for any females on here, is it!

grannylyn65 Fri 30-Sep-16 20:18:37

Daphne grin

Ana Fri 30-Sep-16 21:01:16

I too expressed doubts regarding Mr/Ms Willy's posting on another thread, and got a flea in my ear for my trouble! (to be fair to myself, it wasn't the name I was concerned about so much as the content of the post!)

rosesarered Fri 30-Sep-16 21:33:55

Let them eat cake ?

Greenfinch Fri 30-Sep-16 21:53:23

???

durhamjen Sat 01-Oct-16 00:00:47

My sister's best friend at school was called C Willy. She had the same problem of being believed.