Gransnet forums

House and home

new sofa

(28 Posts)
anneey Sat 07-Jun-14 20:14:30

I am about to buy a new sofa, but concerned that it will not go through my sitting room door, as the staircase is opposite. I have heard that in some cases the arms can be removed and put back again.
Does anyone out there have knowledge of this please. confused

annodomini Fri 31-Oct-14 12:56:29

Reported

noolaymann Fri 31-Oct-14 12:25:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 16:36:21

Good luck with the sofa Annee and do take the measurements with you when buying the sofa.

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 16:34:29

grin 'Right said Fred, '
I've got a sort of feeling.....if we remove the ceiling?With a rope or two we can drag the blighter through, etc etc.
Got the hall down, even with the wall down, we was getting nowhere.....so we had a cuppa tea.

glammanana Sat 14-Jun-14 13:22:22

In the early 60s I can remember my Dad & his brother having to take out the bedroom window of my parents two up two down house to remove a wardrobe,I have no idea how it got up there it must have been built in the bedroom and dad made us polish it again in case any neighbours spotted any dust he had missed grin

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 13:10:49

DD had to have her living room window removed to get her new sofa in!

glammanana Sat 14-Jun-14 13:07:25

Oh anneey what a shame but at least you have the back up of the gaurentee from JL if ever anything went wrong which I doubt it would,their furniture has always lived up to its name can you choose your own fabric from them ? to put your personal touch on things they do also have some fabulous soft furnishing that you can dress up your sofa's with.

KatyK Sat 14-Jun-14 11:27:55

Oh what a shame anneey. We had similar. We bought a 3 seater sofa and one chair. The people in the shop said if we decided we wanted another chair just to go back. About a month later we decided we would have one, went back and the shop had closed down. Maybe you will find one you like even better.

tiggypiro Sat 14-Jun-14 08:59:24

Think positive anneey. They might have taken your order and deposit and THEN closed down !

anneey Sat 14-Jun-14 07:58:17

Oh dear! The sofa saga drags on.
I went back to the Sofa Shop yesterday to make arrangements. and was confronted with a large closing down sign.
Completely lost my confidence in that shop, so I guess I will buy from good old tried and tested John Lewis.

KatyK Wed 11-Jun-14 18:45:39

Please do anneey

anneey Wed 11-Jun-14 18:42:07

thank you Katyk for those kind words. I will let you know the outcome.

KatyK Wed 11-Jun-14 12:34:36

anneey I would imagine if they measured up and it didn't fit, they would have to refund you. To be honest, they usually find a way. We have bought furniture in the past and I have thought no way will they get that in, but they have. Enjoy your sofa smile

anneey Wed 11-Jun-14 11:20:10

I sympathise KatyK. So easy to make a mistake when buying a Sofa.
Well the original sofa that I would like to have........... The removal man came yesterday, he measured and said that he didn't think there would be a problem moving in the sofa. Now, although I would just love to have this sofa, I will choose the fabric i.e. it will be made especially for me.
Soooo what happens if it wont go into my Sitting room. Will I get my money back?

KatyK Wed 11-Jun-14 11:03:09

I love the idea of designing your own sofa online. It is the one thing I can't get right. I am happy with most things in our house but I just can't get three piece suites or sofas right. We have made so many mistakes. The one we have now looked lovely in the shop and I absolutely hate it. DH won't hear of buying another yet as it is only a couple of years old.

anneey Mon 09-Jun-14 17:16:50

Interesting comments. The 3 seater that I have found, and love. Wont go into my sitting room, unfortunately the arms aren't made to unbolt.
John Lewis do a very good service, possibly at a price I was not hoping for. They provide a measuring service.
You can even design your own sofa on line.
So maybe this is my option.

Charleygirl Mon 09-Jun-14 15:39:59

My neighbour could not fit a sofa through his front door (it is a mid terrace house). The delivery men came in my side entrance and then lifted the sofa over the fence. Fortunately it was not a 6 foot one but a shorter metal fence, then through the French doors. Would that be an option?

Elegran Mon 09-Jun-14 15:27:16

An aunt moved into a house with stairs that proved impossible to get a wardrobe up. In retrospect she did remember that the previous owners had no wardrobes - but it had not registered with her at the time, and they had not voliuntered the information.

Nelliemoser Mon 09-Jun-14 15:13:14

Go to the shop armed with photos and accurate measurements of your front door and the room as well as any other structural obstacles.

I remember us trying to get a piano out of our dining room before a new carpet was fitted. We got it stuck between the doorway and the stairs and at one point I was having to crawl out under the keyboard go out the back door around the side of the house and in through the front.

We gave up in the end and just managed to get it back into in the room . When the carpet fitters arrived next day they just said "Oh if it gets in our way we'll just chop it up".

They managed to get the carpet laid and the piano still works.

We decided that to get it into that room when we moved in, the removal men must have turned it right onto its end. It would have been a lot easier with to do that with two or three strong blokes.

Most of these furniture companies do give strong warnings about being sure that any furniture will go into your room.

harrigran Mon 09-Jun-14 14:25:14

My last sofa was a four seater but they assured me it was delivered in two pieces and joined in the home. They had to remove the feet from the entire suite to get between the doorposts. Mine is a 70s house, older houses may have different width doorways.Years ago I had an M&S suite delivered and even with room doors off they had problems. The men wanted to have the window removed, big job as the window was the entire front wall.

glammanana Mon 09-Jun-14 13:45:37

The arms come off our sofa's thank goodness because they are quite large really and our door are narrow,the delivery men are very knowledgeable though.

janerowena Mon 09-Jun-14 13:38:41

We had to take our doors off!

rosesarered Sun 08-Jun-14 21:17:16

We were concerned by this question last year when we bought 2 new sofas. We knew the 2 seater would go in, but had doubts about the 3 seater.This was solved by buying the 3 seater with one reclineable place, because they fit this in 2 pieces in your lounge.The arms don't come off our sofas.

anneey Sun 08-Jun-14 17:06:47

Thank you that is good to know. I will go back to the shop armed with questions. My main concern is that they deliver the sofa and cant get it in,(especially if I have paid for it)

glassortwo Sat 07-Jun-14 23:25:32

Yes the arms come off mine and DD, so possibly a few manufacturers do the same.