Gransnet forums

House and home

carpet or paint first?

(17 Posts)
petra Thu 02-Oct-14 18:06:26

And your in the right, Jings. There's only one finish and that's white gloss.
And I agree about paint now taking a long time to harden off.

seasider Thu 02-Oct-14 14:24:00

Thanks everybody I would definitely paint first then get the carpet laid . I don't need them to match, just complement each other. I am unsure what colour I would like and cannot decide whether to just choose a carpet I like and work from there. Or look for a paint colour I fancy and the find a carpet. I guess I need a neutral carpet again so I can just repaint the walls in future. If money was no object I might buy something more unusual that I could just replace if I get bored of it!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Oct-14 13:44:41

shock And I've just had DH do all the bedrooms, and the landing, using gloss!

Well, I like it. So there! hmm grin

ninathenana Thu 02-Oct-14 13:09:28

No gloss paint anywhere in our house smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Oct-14 13:06:48

Oh, is gloss old fashioned?! We've tried satin finish but have gone back to gloss. smile

HildaW Thu 02-Oct-14 11:44:16

Have learned the hard way....choose a neutral colour for carpet, idealy with fine pattern or speckle (better for not showing dirt) and then buy best quality you can afford. A carpet should stay for years yet its easy to change the colour of the walls! Its also easy to do a few match pots to get the colour right.

merlotgran Thu 02-Oct-14 10:13:20

Does anyone still paint gloss on skirting boards?

Lazy me.....satin finish/dries quickly.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Oct-14 10:07:07

Paint the walls and skirting first! You will be on the floor if you get paint on a new carpet. But remember to leave plenty of time for the gloss on the skirting to dry out. It seems to take ages these days!

jamsidedown Thu 02-Oct-14 09:46:23

I would choose the carpet first then the paint, but I would do the painting before the carpet was laid. Good luck!

Soupy Thu 02-Oct-14 09:12:36

Choose your paint and carpet to go together, in whichever way you like, but paint the walls first.

I'd hate to get paint on a new carpet!

ninathenana Thu 02-Oct-14 08:11:10

Sorry I didn't read the OP properly.
I agree with all shysal says.

vampirequeen Thu 02-Oct-14 08:06:41

Paint first because it will be easier to do it before you put a new carpet down.

shysal Thu 02-Oct-14 08:01:56

The carpet will be the more expensive item, so I would choose that first. Hopefully it will last for many years, so something fairly neutral, so that the wall colours can be changed from time to time to update the look of the room.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Anne58 Thu 02-Oct-14 07:55:21

Are you sure you want the paint to actually MATCH the carpet? Wouldn't that feel like being inside a box?

ninathenana Thu 02-Oct-14 07:52:23

Definitely paint first.

Coolgran65 Thu 02-Oct-14 00:30:54

Choose your carpet and then paint the walls before getting the new carpet fitted.

seasider Thu 02-Oct-14 00:20:39

I want to give our lounge a makeover on a very limited budget. Cannot decide whether to paint the walls first then buy a carpet or get a carpet I like first and paint the walls to matchconfused