Gransnet forums

House and home

Impractical designs - grrr.

(9 Posts)
rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 15:14:11

Someone suggested using hair removal cream (Immac?) down the plughole as it will dissolve the hair trapped down there and it is really difficult to clean. It seems to work as the water goes down the plughole easily afterwards. I just hope it doesn't dissolve the pipes as well hmm

aggie Sat 23-May-15 15:08:26

Must have a go at mine , not tackled it for a while

tanith Sat 23-May-15 15:04:20

I put washing soda down mine once a month it seems to work well. I pour some hot water in then add the soda leave for an hour then another kettle full of hot water.

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 13:11:08

I use the chemical stuff and it seems to work really well.
Mr. Muscle do one too.

annodomini Sat 23-May-15 12:46:55

When I attempted to carry out the procedure you describe, Elegran, I tried to use a bent knitting needle to pull out the hair and other debris. I managed to dislodge a joint between two pipes under the bath and water started to drip down into the kitchen. A very quick call to a local plumber got me an equally quick visit from an amiable lad who looked as if he had seen it all before. I haven't tried it again! I believe that Lakeland has some kind of chemical solution.

Elegran Sat 23-May-15 12:19:29

I have seen stuff in Tescos that claims to dissolve hair and soap residue "if used regularly" Has anyone used it? Does it contain caustic soda?

I must go and look at the Lakeland thing.

Nelliemoser Sat 23-May-15 12:11:37

Caustic Soda solution?

hildajenniJ Sat 23-May-15 12:10:47

Why don't you buy a hair trap that sits on top of your existing drain. Then you wouldn't have to fiddle with the thing to clean it as all the debris would be caught before it went down the drain. I got a really good one from Lakeland, and very effective too.

Elegran Sat 23-May-15 11:46:11

I have just spent an unpleasant time trying to clean the hair trap under the shower drain. The water goes down through holes in the middle of a wide round removable drain cover (looks good, and looks easy to clean - ha ha) Under the holes is fixed a bottomless plastic cylinder about 3 inches across and four deep, with cross-bars to catch the hairs. With the drain cover in place, that cylinder sticks down into a circular pit underneath, and the water goes down past the cross-bars into the pit, rises up the sides between the cylinder and the pit and spills over and down the drain.

Still sounds good - hairs and debris caught, water escapes. But there are screws holding the cylinder to the drain cover - inside it They have gone rusty. The hair and soap residue cling around the screws and round the joins of the various parts. The cylinder is too deep and narrow to grip the caught hairs, even with tweezers. The soap makes the whole thing slimy and revolting. The pit is always full of manky water and has hairs sticking to it that have to be removed with a finger, while kneeling on the damp shower base with your head under a dripping shower head.

Every time I clean it I curse. Why can't they design a trap that can be taken apart to clean?