Gransnet forums

House and home

Have you given up your Landline, & switched to just mobile/smartphone etc

(15 Posts)
petra Sun 31-May-15 13:14:28

Nannieroz111. What network are you with where you pay 25p per minute ?

cazthebookworm Sun 31-May-15 10:55:59

I've been with Plusnet for nearly a year with an initial contract of at £18.44 for l/l and b/b, with free week end calls.
In September it goes up to £25.98 and I am considering changing to Direct Save Telecom as advertised on Moneysupermarket, where it seems if you have a 2 year contract it works out at £11 a month for the l/l if you pay 1 years rental in advance, and you get free evening calls as well as weekend calls, plus £1.95 for the b/b.
Will have to check it out a bit nearer the time. I only use my mobile for texting on PAYG and £10 lasts me for months.

Pittcity Sun 31-May-15 08:47:31

I never use the landline, except for 0800 numbers, and now they are to be included in my mobile contract. The only calls I get are from cold callers or my parents.

We have fibre broadband and good 4g where we live so do not need a landline. We keep it because our TV, broadband, phone package would be more expensive without the phone. confused

DD1 simply unplugs her landline for this reason. DD2 has no mobile signal at home so needs hers, but makes a lot of Internet calls.

I suppose it is useful in an emergency.

downtoearth Sun 31-May-15 08:44:10

we are just considering wether to cancel landline, we are with BT as it has fastest b/b connection as we are in a village where reception is very poor we £45 a month approx. and rarely use L/L.We received our loca paish mag yesterday that announced WISpire which apparently is attached to a church spire locally and and is faster and more reliable,and BT connection is not required all for £13 a month inc VAT,needless to say we shall be looking into this ..

Gracesgran Sun 31-May-15 08:32:31

I fall very much into the needing a landline because of the internet and rarely using my mobile. I really have it as an emergency phone for me to ring the AA and for the Warden Services to ring me if one of Mum's alarms goes off and she doesn't answer.

I wonder if anyone knows the answers to a couple of questions.

1. Will we ever use computers in some other way then the phone lines?
2. Didn't one of the companies start to promote a phone which could be connected to the phone line at home and then popped in your pocket when out?

FlicketyB Sat 30-May-15 20:01:29

We lie in a mobile notspot. No land line? Phone communication nigh on impossible.

We actually lie in the 'Science Vale' a hotspot for high tech industry, which everyone (in government, national and local) sees as the great area for white hot new technology. Why then is it that mobile phone reception in the area is poor to variable, if we get an internet speed of 2mbs we think we are in clover. Even digital and fm radio reception is unreliable. Thank goodness for R4 on long wave.

tiggypiro Sat 30-May-15 18:54:20

I also have BT (fibre optic) and find that each year when I have to re-new I just tell them I want it cheaper (or I'll go elsewhere) and it usually is reduced. I do pay the line rent up front and after that I think the average monthly cost is about £25 - includes 'free' calls 24/7
DD made me get a mobile 8 years ago and I have it on pay-as-you-go. So far I have used about £25.

Ana Sat 30-May-15 17:22:47

My BT package is only £31 for line rental and broadband with free weekend calls. I use my mobile for most calls anyway.

bikergran Sat 30-May-15 17:12:25

hmm...yes landline still seems the better option at the mo, I will stick with it for a little while longer, thanks all..smile

durhamjen Sat 30-May-15 16:56:52

Got plusnet now because BT went up to £50 for landline, 24/7 phone calls and internet. Plusnet now costs half that, even though plusnet is part of BT.
Also have highspeed broadband instead of BT plodding.
The only people who phone me on my mobile are the company asking why I do not use it.
With a BT landline they give you BT sport for free, but I do not want it.

tanith Sat 30-May-15 16:47:45

Meant to add although its costly for sure..grin

tanith Sat 30-May-15 16:46:52

We too have BT internet with our landline package with free calls anytime.. I would be loathe to give it up as its been very reliable.

vampirequeen Sat 30-May-15 16:33:35

I can't give up the phone as I'd lose my internet.

nannieroz111 Sat 30-May-15 16:31:36

I prefer to keep my landline as I can chat 24/7 for free (its not really free its included in my BT package) but it is certainly cheaper than my pay as you go mobile which is 25p per minute during the day. I only use my mobile now and again.

bikergran Sat 30-May-15 09:34:01

I keep contemplating getting rid of landline, but at I use the landline for internet, I pay £26 plusnet for landline/internet & free weekend calls plus £7-50 a month Tesco mobile, unlimted txts, 250 free mins a month but no data on phone.

Just trying to weigh up if it's worth giving up landline etc and upgrading phone package......