Gransnet forums

House and home

Favourite kitchen gadgets

(60 Posts)
louella Wed 22-Jul-15 16:13:00

DD bought me a new tin opener this week (apparently the old one was a 'health hazard'...) I thought it was completely OTT and a waste of money (£12!) but now I have tried it I am hooked. This is the model she got it from John Lewis www.johnlewis.com/store/joseph-joseph-can-do-can-opener/p1355716?navAction=jump&_requestid=8056480

Made me wonder what other little kitchen essentials you wouldn't be without.

jeanie99 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:28:25

My hand whisk and grinder, use both all the time.

ladyjane10 Thu 15-Mar-18 21:24:14

My self cleaning oven. It is wonderful. Press a few buttons and off it goes. The other thing I love is my Berro book.

Yelena123 Sun 11-Mar-18 20:13:23

My favourite kitchen gadget is this round mandoline slicer
my-kitchengadgets.com/collections/best-sellers/products/round-mandoline-slicer-vegetable-cutter
I cut with this all kinds of vegetables in seconds.

sutkendricks Sat 09-Dec-17 06:18:37

Knife.

Scribbles Fri 17-Nov-17 00:10:58

Has anyone bought any left handed gadgets which they have found useful?

I wouldn't want to be without my left handed bread knife. I never knew until I got it what a difference it would make to the simple act of slicing a loaf.smile

1974cookie Thu 16-Nov-17 19:25:43

My Phillips hand held electric whisk. I have had it for 40 years, and it makes the best mashed potato ever.

irene123 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ninathenana Wed 18-Oct-17 00:22:19

Advertising.

Marcia14 Wed 18-Oct-17 00:15:53

airfryer Fri 22-Sep-17 06:41:46

rubylady Mon 27-Jul-15 14:59:47

Kitty thank you for helping. It was for my DS but he's been a pain today so he can find them himself angry. And it's only the first proper day of the holidays!

Funnygran Sun 26-Jul-15 20:50:16

I wouldn't be without my electric steamer. It was bought as a present years ago and I thought it might be another gadget that cluttered up the cupboard. But I find it so useful, vegetables and rice cook perfectly. Makes a great steamed pudding too!

annodomini Sun 26-Jul-15 20:06:13

My stick blender is my greatest standby. Ideal for smooth soups and for smoothies made with fruit and natural yoghurt. I also love my jar key. I have two in case I can't find one of them!

loopylou Sun 26-Jul-15 19:23:10

I love my green bean shredder thingy - you push the runner bean through, it slices it and removes the side bits.
And my Kitchen Devils little knife I've had for 38 years, it's lost its tip but I use it every day.

hildajenniJ Sun 26-Jul-15 19:16:38

I love my hands free can opener, you just press the button and off it goes.
I also love my bread maker, it is currently busy baking a maple and oatmeal loaf for tomorrow.

Daisyanswerdo Sun 26-Jul-15 18:48:06

I value my set of plastic funnels. There really isn't any alternative, if you don't count rolling a piece of paper into a cone - not usually successful.

kittylester Sun 26-Jul-15 15:41:13

I used to buy lefthanded things Ruby but most things seem to be ambidextrous nowadays or I've got less cack-handed. grin My potato peeler works both handed as do my scissors. Not sure what else there would be that is specific though, when I have pressed post, I will think of loads.

janerowena Sun 26-Jul-15 14:59:37

I have many of the above, so it was quite hard to think of something else (except my version of anniegran's only works once a week) but it has to be either a herb chopper that you just roll over the herbs, it has lots of blades, or a meat funnel with a handle and a removable filter at the bottom. You can pour liquids through it into bottles and jars, and it filters out bits for you at the same time. I do a lot of bottling, so it's very useful.

sarah2000h Sun 26-Jul-15 12:49:31

My bread maker. I walk downstairs and there's the delicious smell of home cooked bread every morning. It also makes pizza bases.

rubylady Sun 26-Jul-15 00:37:23

Has anyone bought any left handed gadgets which they have found useful?

Coolgran65 Sat 25-Jul-15 23:15:42

I also use the straw to hull strawberries. Gives a beautiful finish.

Deedaa Sat 25-Jul-15 21:46:10

I have a jar opener that my grandfather bought over 60 years ago. It's basically just a pair of curved, hinged handles but it works brilliantly. I have to be careful with it as the hinge is getting very fragile but I've never seen another one quite like it.

mrsmopp Sat 25-Jul-15 18:40:02

My wand type blender, perfect for blending soup in the pan.
I used to have to tip the soup into the liquidiser, blend it then tip it back into the pan. Too much kerfuffle by far!

dustyangel Sat 25-Jul-15 17:29:44

Oops, didn't check the next page, that was for jbf.

dustyangel Sat 25-Jul-15 17:28:22

Oh smile my best bargain ever was a plastic cherry stoner bought from Lakeland for 50p. It is still going strong and I use it for olives as well. I used to worry about it breaking but I see Lakeland now do one in metal.