Gransnet forums

House and home

Can anyone recommend how I can restore my laminate worktop

(16 Posts)
jeanie99 Fri 02-Feb-24 22:58:34

I have a laminate worktop it was fitted 8 years ago and to say I am very careful about looking after it I am shocked to find it is covered with dull patches all over.
As anyone restored their worktop I read that this is possible but it would be good to received the exact process of doing this. The alterative is to replace it or just leave it as the prices of replacing even laminate is very expensive.

Katie59 Sat 03-Feb-24 04:02:57

Have a look at this link

mrworktopfitter.co.uk/your-guide-to-laminate-worktop-repair/

YorkLady Sat 03-Feb-24 07:27:05

I have the same problem. It’s not scratches, cuts or marks, just dull patches.
We were thinking of total replacement but as you say, it’s very expensive.
Hope some can help.

Sago Sat 03-Feb-24 09:39:13

Try a detailing cloth, these are designed for people who are precious about their cars.
If you buy a good cream cleaner such as barkeepers friend rinse and then buff with the detailing cloth it should do the trick.
Try on a small area first.

www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj0xZ61746EAxUUl1AGHVCPAGEYABA7GgJkZw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MWete-OhAMVFJdQBh1QjwBhEAAYASAAEgIKZvD_BwE&sig=AOD64_3geL5aATY5BCLoUZXEQSAPhYjtoA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwi82pm1746EAxXhQEEAHZ3qCiEQ0Qx6BAgKEAE

jeanie99 Sat 03-Feb-24 13:07:23

Thank you for the information Katie.
I read the article but it doesn't apply to my issue, I don't have scratches chips or cracks.
My problem is that the sheen which was there

jeanie99 Sat 03-Feb-24 13:09:47

continue
when first fitted is no longer there.
I have dull patches all over the worktop, not in any particular place.

jeanie99 Sat 03-Feb-24 13:24:54

Hi Sago
thank you for the information, I have the cloths from your link already, the barkeepers friend I am hesitant on using this as I do not have any stains and would be concerned about making my worktop worse.
Is this a product you have used on laminate to bring back the sheen as I am looking for recommendations for my problem.

AskAlice Sat 03-Feb-24 14:24:21

The method I use doesn't last for very long but looks lovely while it does! I put a few drops of olive oil on a soft cloth after cleaning the surfaces and buff them up.

I've looked in vain for a proper restoring method but haven't found one yet.

jeanie99 Sat 03-Feb-24 22:42:09

Alice
I have just used the olive oil method, to get a good cover I had to dab it on. It also as given the worktop a darker look which is really good. I haven't buffed it up get, thought I would leave it to dry first. fingers crossed.
Thank you

jeanie99 Sun 04-Feb-24 19:10:45

Alice it didn't look any better in the light of the morning, still dull in patches.
Thank you though much appreciate for you interest

YorkLady Sun 04-Feb-24 19:33:31

I’m just trying the olive oil on my dark laminate..first impressions look good

karmalady Sun 04-Feb-24 19:47:04

I have navy laminate and would be very tempted to use renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish which is for any surface, furniture, leather, paintings, marble etc. I have used it on a wood carving and also an expensive black leather chair, it gives a lovely soft sheen

Amazon has a pretty good description. It is lovely to use with a soft cloth and is certainly not abrasive

karmalady Sun 04-Feb-24 19:49:20

You used olive oil jeanie, if you are getting renaissance, you would need to get the oil off with warm soapy water.

jeanie99 Mon 05-Feb-24 22:36:51

I've ordered the Renaissance so fingers crossed. I'll let you know what happens.

AskAlice Tue 06-Feb-24 11:01:57

Karmalady the Renaissance sounds promising, having read all the descriptions online. It mentions using it on kitchen cabinets and worktops (not specifically laminate though) and sounds very gentle. I'm going to order some too and give it a try!

Thank you...

jeanie99 Thu 08-Feb-24 23:07:00

Tried Renaissance.
The laminate worktop is now smooth with a sheen which looks much better and in the evening you cannot see any dull marks at all, however during the day some of the marks still show but as as bad as they were.
I consider this a vast improvement on how it looked before the treatment.
Clearly I will need to make this part of my routine, how long it will last we'll see.
Hubby and I shared the task with me gently putting the polish on (sparingly) and hubby gently buffing it up.
Hope you see an improvement Alice.