Gransnet forums

House and home

'Prize winning' letter published

(8 Posts)
SuperTinny Wed 21-Feb-24 21:03:09

My real weakness is home magazines. I've always spent a lot of money on them but recently have manged to wean myself off the more expensive ones and now just buy the ones at the the more economical end of the market.

I recently up-cycled a mirror and altered a charity shop lamp shade to fit existing decor. I was so chuffed with the end result that I thought I would send in (via email) a couple of photos and a letter of explanation to one of the magazines (I've never done anything like that before!!).

To my astonishment it was published and not only that it was considered the 'Star letter' for which there is a prize.
I was not notified of the the pending publication and only noticed it because of my devotion to buying these magazines. I went back through my emails to see if I had missed any correspondence from them, but no I couldn't see anything.

My thoughts then went to how would they know where to send the prize as I hadn't include a postal address in the original email. So I waited to see if they would contact me. After several weeks I decided to send them an email with my postal address.

It's now 8 weeks since the providing them with my postal address and I've not received any acknowledgement from them at all, let alone the prize!!

I have no concern at all for the prize (a set of colourful plant pots the month of publication, a bouquet of flowers the month I emailed them) but the principle of it is irritating me.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

CanadianGran Wed 21-Feb-24 21:08:29

That is very odd. I should think that they would notify you if a letter was going to be published. I would send an email back to them. First though, check your 'junk email' box in case their original email was misfiled by your email.

Congratulations, by the way, on a job well done.

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Feb-24 21:09:21

No I haven't but I'd probably try sending your full details to wherever you sent the original letter saying "I think I missed my details off - and you are probably wondering where to send the plantpots/flowers - so here's my address etc ....." I think that might work.
🤞

SuperTinny Wed 21-Feb-24 21:19:31

If you read the OP, I have already done that smile

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 22-Feb-24 10:37:02

They have your email address and could easily contact you.

Odd.

As CanadianGran said the email replies to yours, might have gone into your junk mailbox.

grannyactivist Thu 22-Feb-24 10:52:40

I find the quickest way to get a response nowadays is to contact them on Twitter (X).

Suggest: ‘Glad to read I won star letter on (date) who do I contact to receive my prize as my emails remain unanswered.’

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Feb-24 12:32:38

I read that uoh had emailed them SuperTinny I didn't realise you had sent the info to the same place.
Apologies.
8 weeks is annoying.
Grannyactivist has a good idea.

SeaWoozle Fri 23-Feb-24 23:03:52

grannyactivist

I find the quickest way to get a response nowadays is to contact them on Twitter (X).

Suggest: ‘Glad to read I won star letter on (date) who do I contact to receive my prize as my emails remain unanswered.’

Couldn't agree more! Any issue I've ever had has been resolved via Twitter (I refuse to call it "X"!)!