Gransnet forums

House and home

Cats fur and washing machines

(14 Posts)
dogsmother Wed 13-Mar-24 15:10:09

Looking for some advice please.
This actually for my DD who has rag doll cats and a problem with the constant damage that so much fur causes the washing machine.
I’ve suggested she has her cats professionally groomed and tries harder to keep on top of loose hair but as to machine I really don’t know. It just sneaks in try as she might from everywhere. Causing expensive breakdowns and call-outs.

RosiesMaw Wed 13-Mar-24 15:15:41

Do NOT wash your cat in the washing machine! 🤣🐱😱

RosiesMaw Wed 13-Mar-24 15:15:53

Or your dog.

sharon103 Wed 13-Mar-24 15:26:37

I don't know if this is any good.
Housold Vamoosh Pet Hair Dissolver- 3 Sachets | Pet Hair Remover for Dogs, Cats, Rabbits | Eliminates Bad Odours, Antibacterial Pet Hair Dissolver for Washing Machine

Your daughter could use a FURminator Cat Grooming
They are really good. I have one for my cat whose has a medium length coat. It really goes down into the cats coat. You'd be amazed how much fur comes out you really would.
It's a comb on a handle with a button on top to release the fur.

Could also give the laundry a good shake outside before putting it into the washing machine.

dogsmother Wed 13-Mar-24 15:27:45

🤣 thank you so much for brightening my afternoon! Those poor cats I have visions of them now clawing to get out with wet bedraggled fur and more hilarious expressions than ever before.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Mar-24 15:34:06

Apart from grooming the cats, use a cheap pot scourer of the type that is a synthetic sponge to remove as much cat hair as possible from the dirty clothes before these are put into the washing machine.

You can use the sponge either dry or wet. These pot scourer sponges are also fine for removing the shed hairs from carpets and upholstery.

I have not yet had a rag doll cat, but have had Norwegian forest cats and have dealt with shed hairs in this way, and never had any problems with my washing machines.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 13-Mar-24 15:46:04

My sister’s new kitten climbed into her washing machine unnoticed, just before she started it. Fortunately she looked in just as the machine was filling up and saw Kitty slowly going round.

The machine wouldn’t open without a drain and spin programme, so my sister promptly prised the door open, water all over the floor, machine damaged beyond repair, the cat lived to be 17 years old, non the worse for her experience.

Mogsmaw Wed 13-Mar-24 15:55:58

GrannyGravy13

My sister’s new kitten climbed into her washing machine unnoticed, just before she started it. Fortunately she looked in just as the machine was filling up and saw Kitty slowly going round.

The machine wouldn’t open without a drain and spin programme, so my sister promptly prised the door open, water all over the floor, machine damaged beyond repair, the cat lived to be 17 years old, non the worse for her experience.

I had a cat that used to climb into the washing machine, and post vans, but that’s another story!
If this ever happens to anyone else there is always a way to drain and open a machine in an emergency. It will be hidden in the manual (or get the engine to show you) .

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 15:59:36

I use a Furminator on my German shepherd, who moults 24/7/365. It’s excellent and huge amounts of fur come out. Despite years of owning GSDs, I have never had a problem with the washing machine. The cats obviously need more frequent and thorough grooming. Their fur shouldn’t be on the items put in the machine (other than some on the bedding, which should be vacuumed regularly), except in very small quantities. It’s basic hygiene, and for the cats’ wellbeing.

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Mar-24 16:50:22

Does your daughter clean the filter(s) very regularly? Many don’t.

dogsmother Wed 13-Mar-24 17:32:55

Thanks all, for the tales (tails ) and advice. She does Vamoosh and has the sticky rubber thing to put in the machine. The furminator is excellent we also used on a previous dog, very effective. I suspect she could do better with hoovering bedding and prewash decontamination of clothing. These cats are very hairy.

petra Wed 13-Mar-24 17:40:24

Put a washing up sponge ( the scourer ) type. They collect all the hair and fluff.

Sparklefizz Wed 13-Mar-24 18:52:10

I have got a large zip up bag to put my cat’s washable beds in before putting in the washing machine. Any hair clumps at the bottom of the bag and doesn’t stay in the machine.

Juicywords Fri 15-Mar-24 00:25:28

I do exactly the same as Sparklefizz and it works very well. Check out “pet washing machine zip bag” on Amazon - there’s plenty of choice.