Gransnet forums

House and home

Garden Room Deposit Question

(18 Posts)
Camilla7 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:48:49

We've just had a quote for a garden room/office and the supplier/installer wants a deposit of 80% which shocked me and I'm not comfortable with. Can anyone tell me what kind of a deposit or interim payments they made for a garden room? I'm assuming 80% is the going rate?

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:51:09

Have you asked for more quotes from different suppliers?
Never just ask for one.

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:53:49

If the work will take a long time, you may not be able to avoid a deposit. Aim to push it down as much as possible, and don’t agree to more than 25%
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/before-you-get-building-work-done/#:~:text=If%20the%20work%20will%20take,for%20any%20materials%20it%20covers.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 14-Mar-24 22:59:00

Good grief! You need to ask for more quotes. I would never pay a deposit like that. It most certainly is not the going rate. I would suggest that company might be having financial problems and, by your assumption that this is the going rate, saw you coming. Steer well clear.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Mar-24 23:06:23

What’s a garden room ? Is it a posh name for a conservatory?
80% is practically the whole job I wouldn’t pay that percentage for any work being done

Theexwife Thu 14-Mar-24 23:36:48

Small building firms seem to want the cost of materials and a few days wages up front so it would depend on how much those expenses would be. The 20% could just be the profit in the job.

Theexwife Thu 14-Mar-24 23:37:48

I meant to add that I would only pay that amount of deposit if it were builders I knew or had a few references.

Camilla7 Thu 14-Mar-24 23:42:22

Callistemon21

Never just ask for one.

Yes, this quote is really good as another quote was for inferior product for around the same price. Company that makes the garden building recommended this firm and everything sounds great except the deposit so I'll have to negotiate it down.

crazyH Thu 14-Mar-24 23:44:25

Yes, some will ask for cost of the materials. But 80% is just taking the mick …..

Camilla7 Thu 14-Mar-24 23:48:57

Germanshepherdsmum

Good grief! You need to ask for more quotes. I would never pay a deposit like that. It most certainly is not the going rate. I would suggest that company might be having financial problems and, by your assumption that this is the going rate, saw you coming. Steer well clear.

Sorry, I'm tired, that was meant to say "not the going rate". I don't want any more quotes as this quote is perfect having trawled the market and found exactly the quality we want and this is a very reasonable quote but I'll have to negotiate the deposit down. So far husband has dealt with company by phone and text, I shall take over and just needed some hive mind as back up:-)

Camilla7 Thu 14-Mar-24 23:50:55

Callistemon21

Never just ask for one.

This is my 3rd quote and have trawled priced lists online too. Quote is great, it's just the deposit that stung so will negotiate it down.

Camilla7 Thu 14-Mar-24 23:51:30

Callistemon21

^If the work will take a long time, you may not be able to avoid a deposit. Aim to push it down as much as possible, and don’t agree to more than 25%^
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/before-you-get-building-work-done/#:~:text=If%20the%20work%20will%20take,for%20any%20materials%20it%20covers.

Thanks, that's really useful!

LOUISA1523 Thu 14-Mar-24 23:52:34

My mum had a sun room built onto side of her house 25k .....paid it all on completion as per the quote

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 15-Mar-24 09:08:02

A cheaper quote than the others and request for an 80% deposit rings warning bells for. My hunch is that this company has financial problems and is looking for money to keep it afloat - if they go under before doing the work you will be an unsecured creditor for the deposit you have paid and unlikely to see much, if any, of it back.

Juliet27 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:15:53

My son paid a deposit for a granny annexe but the company, which had been trading for over 30 years, has has gone into administration so I would be very cautious over just how much deposit you pay.

Juliet27 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:16:29

Exactly GSM !,

Primrose53 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:17:19

No way would I be paying that kind of deposit.

Jane43 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:20:05

I think I would rather pay a higher price on completion of the job, paying 80% in advance is a risk I wouldn’t be prepared to take.