Gransnet forums

House and home

Kenwood chef.

(22 Posts)
Nansypansy Sat 31-Jan-15 10:26:32

Several years ago I inherited my mums Kenwood chef mixer. She never used it much, nor did I as I prefer my magimix. However I used it last November to make my Christmas cake and it started smoking. So off it went to the shed to await appropriate disposal. The other day a brought it back into the kitchen to double check it and low and behold it was working! It had been stored in a cupboard and I'm wondering if a spider had made a home in its motor and got cremated when I switched it on! The saddest thing is that I dumped the cover my mum had made. I could make another, but have no pattern to work from.

J52 Sat 31-Jan-15 10:48:38

Old Kenwoods never die they just mix you up! X

Brendawymms Sat 31-Jan-15 11:25:22

My Kenwood is 46 years old and still going strong. It's only used to make mince, liquidise things and if I'm making a big celebration type cake. It's noisy but, has never let me down.

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 12:33:19

Mine died after 36 years of hard graft; it's sadly missed but can't quite bring myself to buy another with only 2 of us here smile

J52 Sat 31-Jan-15 15:24:48

Loopylou, I know I'm repeating myself, but there is a firm on th Internet who will refurbish your Kenwood like new.

They become like old friends or pets, don't they? x

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 15:30:23

I didn't know that at the time J52, sadly........
It was a couple of years ago and a wedding present from my parents too sad

J52 Sat 31-Jan-15 15:35:01

Oh dear, never mind. You could see if you could find a replacement on e baŷ. Much cheaper than a new one. The older versions have a geared motor, whereas the newer ones have an electric motor. That's why the old ones last.

It's a bit like rehoming a pet!

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 15:38:08

And boy, do I need a Kenwood pet right now, am nostalgic for the lost one...
Will 'just take a look', when DH not around hmm!

J52 Sat 31-Jan-15 15:43:28

I used mine this morning to make cakes with GD. The first time we'd moved away from a packet mix. We had a good safety talk first! x

Gagagran Sat 31-Jan-15 15:50:39

I used mine this morning to make some bread. It's 35 years old and a bit noisy but has been a faithful friend and made mega quantities of baked goods over the years. I would not want to be without it.

ninathenana Sat 31-Jan-15 17:19:54

I inherited mine 27 yrs ago. I think I used it once grin late MiL had several still boxed attachments for it. I don't know how long she'd had it.

DD's new partner is a very good cook, doesn't believe in processed food or even ready made sauces grin So I have recently given it to DD and it is used on an almost daily basis.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 17:25:27

I had one when we were first married and then got rid of it when we moved. I wish I had kept it!

hildajenniJ Sat 31-Jan-15 17:27:38

I love mine too. It was a wedding present 34 years ago and still working well. I couldn't do without it. How would I make my signature dish? The wonderful pavlova, requested for every family party. Nobody else can make them, but none of them have a Kenwood chef!!!

J52 Sat 31-Jan-15 18:41:49

Totally agree about Pavlova, one of the best things Kenwood does. x

granjura Sat 31-Jan-15 19:00:21

I sometimes think I'd love one of those big posh powerful Kenwood Chef. But they take so much space. Now I make grat pavlovas with my Kenwood Chefette- got in 1972 with Greenshield stamps, and still going strong smile

annsixty Sat 31-Jan-15 19:44:17

Mine is at least 40 years old and passed it's best. I investigated the renovation but it was very expensive. I now only use it on the few occasions I make bread.Would like a Kitchen Aid but also very expensive.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 19:55:07

Green Shield stamps - that's a blast from the past!

I do have a new Kenwood food processor but I still hanker after the Kenwood Chef I got rid of .....

ninathenana Sat 31-Jan-15 20:03:35

granjura the one I inherited was the size a professional would use. MiL had been head cook and ran two large school kitchens simultaneously. She was a bit obsessed with kitchenware.

Jackofall57 Tue 24-Feb-15 00:16:32

Hi nansy pansy
I just bought a cover for kenwood chef on eBay along with all the little runner feet for the base. You can get lots of parts. .
Also doing a Christmas cake mixture is quite hard work for the motor. Try smaller amounts.
Good luck.

Soutra Tue 24-Feb-15 08:15:57

Oh gosh, mine retired to the garage ( en route to the tip) last summer when it started smoking at a critical point in cake making for the village Flower ages rival. Given my usual sloth it is still there so I might just give it another go! I have kept the bowl because it is such a good size, and the beaters. Couldn't afford or justify a full sized replacement so bought a handheld Kenwood, always useful.
Wondering now.....!

Soutra Tue 24-Feb-15 08:16:55

Bloody iPad, that was Flower Festival! How hard is that to type or understand!!

J52 Tue 24-Feb-15 08:42:28

Just got new feet for the semi retired ( 40 yrs old )one at the holiday house. They were also from e bay and very easy to fit.
I read it was important to get the air in, underneath because of the type of motor? Maybe that was why yours smoke Soutra?
My newer one, 1990s has built in feet and kindly made butterfly cakes and ginger cake on Sunday! x