Gransnet forums

House and home

New Washer Dryer

(7 Posts)
crun Sat 25-Apr-15 18:55:44

I was just wondering whether anyone is noticing any problems with the newer generation of washers that are designed to use less water.

I bought a new washer dryer last December after my 15 year old Hotpoint kicked the bucket, and it's quickly become apparent that it's rapidly wearing my laundry to shreds. I've just been drafting a letter asking them to come and take it away and give me a refund, but before I send it I thought I'd just check that it's not a common problem with low water-use machines, otherwise I might be no better off with a new one. It seems to me that if there's less water in the drum, there's less lubrication to prevent the clothes wearing as they tumble around.

I don't really want to insist on a refund and then find out that most new machines are just as bad, but I'm absolutely hacked off with it. Apart from the wear and tear, it's not getting the clothes clean, not drying fully, and the creasing just beggars belief!

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 19:13:14

I'm not happy with my new washing machine (not a washer-dryer) which I bought to replace my old Candy which had given excellent service for about 25 years, but was beyond repair.

The new one, despite having umpteen different programmes which I'll never use, doesn't have a half-load facility (wish I'd double-checked before buying!) and the 'time-saver' programme only actually saves time if you set it at 30 degrees.

It's managed to shrink two pairs of jeans which had survived for over a year perfectly well being washed in the old machine, and as you say, crun, doesn't seem to get clothes properly clean, especially whites.

I was thinking only today about cutting my losses and trading it in, but if all new machines are the same it looks as though we're stuck! hmm

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 19:15:15

PS my tumble dryer is 35 years old and has only needed a couple of replacement elements in its whole lifetime!

tanith Sat 25-Apr-15 19:15:20

Sounds like there is something wrong with it if its really shredding and not cleaning your clothes. I wouldn't ever have a washer/dryer as the cycle is way too long and I prefer to line dry but yours really shouldn't be damaging the washing, are you brave enough to name the make? We have a newish Hotpoint that uses less water and I have no problems with it.

crun Thu 30-Apr-15 12:20:37

It's an Indesit IWDE 7125 Tanith, I chose it because it had a reasonable review from Which, and because Indesit were getting the best reliability rating after Miele. (As well as being small enough to fit in the space available.)

Charleygirl Thu 30-Apr-15 14:19:50

I bought a Siemens in January of this year- it is not a washer/dryer- I prefer to line dry and in winter putting the clothes on a plastic horse in a spare bedroom gwets the clothes dry using the central heating.

I love this machine- its only downside is the length of time it takes to clean clothes but it works very well with no damage to my clothes. I am still experimenting with programmes.

hildajenniJ Thu 30-Apr-15 14:36:28

I have an Indesit washing machine, bought new in1993. It was the machine with the fewest programmes I could find. It has only needed one replacement part in all the years I've owned it. Now the door lock doesn't work, so I have to be very sure the cycle is finished before I open it. I hope it keeps going for a few more years, my DD has a new Hot point which sings a merry little tune at the beginning and end of all the programmes. It would drive me mad.