Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing detergent

(41 Posts)
gammon Thu 01-Oct-15 15:18:15

Anyone actually use the exact amount of washing detergent as directed on the box? I always put in roughly half of what users say (plus a scoop - very scientific - of soda crystals) and my wash is absolutely fine and the box lasts me twice as long. Am beginning to wonder what other products I'm overusing due to the directions on the box. Obviously in their best interests for us to finish it off quicker and go buy more!

soontobe Thu 01-Oct-15 18:20:25

The washes I have to do vary enormously in how dirty they are[husbands work clothes, by necessity, filthy], so I never go by the box. Years since I even read it.

MamaCaz Thu 01-Oct-15 18:38:59

I also put in about half of what it says on the box, usually, but minus the soda crystals.
Actually, a few weeks ago I realized half way through a wash that the scoop of detergent was still on the worktop, but the clothes looked and smelled as clean as usual at the end of the 'wash'!

MarkVick Fri 02-Oct-15 20:24:20

I use the exact amount of washing detergent as directed on the box) It's comfortable for me.

granjura Fri 02-Oct-15 20:33:07

same here- use about half when it is a 'refresh' wash, more if there are more dirty clothes- and the full amount for a hot wash for whites (linen and cottons).

MamaCaz Fri 02-Oct-15 20:47:00

I used to use more than I do now, but DH sometimes gets skin problems so I originally cut down in an attempt to alleviate some of the problems. The clothes seemed to come out just as clean as they had done previously, so I see no reason to increase the amount again. Better for the environment, and better for my purse too smile

granjura Fri 02-Oct-15 20:59:26

glad to hear you are talking about 'boxes' here and not big plastic containers btw (an environmental disaster in themselves)... cardboard boxes get flattened and into cardboard recycling, hurrah.

Teetime Sat 03-Oct-15 09:10:57

I use one tablet/pouch of supermarket own label.

Teetime Sat 03-Oct-15 09:12:07

not finished.

I cant stand cleaning powder from soap drawers and in any case I used to drop powder all over the place!

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 09:42:47

I do use liquid detergent in plastic bottles which are recyclable under our very comprehensive scheme in Cheshire. At the moment a wool wash is in progress using a 'delicate' detergent.

loopylou Sat 03-Oct-15 17:06:20

blush I don't measure, just slosh......but certainly it's less than the recommended dosage. Empty bottles go in recycling.

I'm with you Teetime on powder in the dispensing drawer, yuck!

I did one of those machine cleaning thingys yesterday, the water didn't look particularly dirty (which is good) and the drum is sparkling (halo shining too), only because I read a Mumsnet thread on washing temperatures......
Blimey, pretty feisty lot over there grin

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Oct-15 17:40:04

I use laundry liquid. I hardly ever use as much as the bottle says. My DH has a fairly rare skin complaint and powder of any sort irritates him, even after I use fabric softener.

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 21:35:43

Here we are not allowed to put plastic bottles into recycling which have contained detergent or oil- hence my dislike of them. They all go to incineration.

janeainsworth Sat 03-Oct-15 22:10:25

Our water is very soft so I use less than recommended.
I use liquid detergent and the bottles are recycled by Northumberland County Council.
Hilda have you tried not using fabric softener? I never do.
According to this article it is a major source of skin irritation.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 22:19:50

I just chuck in one little, deliciously squishy, little pouch. Along with a water softening tablet. Can't be arsed bothered with measuring out.

#badperson

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 22:29:25

I chuck in the squidgy pouches too, jingl. And I pour a bit of Comfort conditioner into the appropriate slot - if I forget, jumpers and towels etc come out feeling dry and rough.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 22:31:37

Yep. Same here. No itching either.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 03-Oct-15 23:23:50

as little as I can get away with...

I prescrub suncream out of white collars, and the dreaded whiteboard marker out of their clothes with tesco value soap... (who thought white was a good idea for uniform, and black markers for white boards?)

SueDoku Sun 04-Oct-15 08:20:15

I use washing liquid, buy a 1.5 litre bottle, decant into an old 2 litre bottle - then fill up with cold water and shake well smile
THEN I use about half the quantity recommended - no fabric conditioner as it irritates my psoriasis & DDs eczema - and get sparkly clean washing at less than half the price wink

ajanela Sun 04-Oct-15 08:59:20

I recently bought a bottle of Persil washing liquid that was designed to give you the correct dose every time. I tried to read the instructions but the writing was so small that even in a good light and good glasses I could not. The pictures of directions also were so small it was difficult to understand them. With the help of a friend we worked it out but each time I used this perfect dose bottle the dose got bigger. Yes, I have contacted the manufacturer.
My mother use to use soda so that is a good tip.
I also find spot cleaning before washing helps.

Auntieflo Sun 04-Oct-15 09:20:13

I use washing powder, in the biggest box that I can find on offer. It lasts us ages, and I use an old coffee scoop to measure the dosage, usually 1good scoop per wash. I have tried liquids before, but found that they left a decidedly " sour" smell in the machine. I do use softener, diluted, but find that it leaves a deposit around the dispenser, that can be hard to clean off.
When you could get it, I found that good old fashioned hard Sunlight soap bars were excellent at cleaning stains. Now the stuff you buy, on line, is pretty useless, and is definitely not the same. So much for progress. When I asked Sunlight, why they didn't make and market the original product, they told me, there was no demand!

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:27:31

Why on earth can't they sell those squidgy pouches in cardboard boxes though??? Those plastic boxes with lides they are sold in all end up in landfill in the UK. I suppose it is to keep mositure out so they don't fuse.

Grananncan Sun 04-Oct-15 09:30:36

After suffering skin problems I started using Eco Balls. They are the equivalent of taking your washing to the river and hitting it with stones. The balls have holes in them and contain an ionic cleaner(??) and they bounce around the drum. They can be quite noisy but some have a foam ring around the outside which is quieter. For my washing they are great but I suspect not so good for my daughter washing for her (messy) 3 year old.
The downsides are the cost (but they last for years)
You can't use them above 60 degrees
You need a stain remover for any really dirty marks.

Sonsybesom Sun 04-Oct-15 11:22:13

Our water is extremely hard, kettles fur up in no time, and not good for tea. I have to use slightly more than recommended for Persil nonbio powder but also some washing soda. Sometimes Comfort but not often. If I use less dishcloths and towels aren't clean. Have to use more Persil washing-up detergent too. I dry everything outside, so at least they are soft and smell fresh.

loopylou Sun 04-Oct-15 13:28:24

What does the washing soda do? I have vague recollections of a blue box of it under my mother's sink, I think.