Gransnet forums

House and home

Your airing cupboard....

(71 Posts)
loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 12:17:12

My airing cupboard shelves hold bed linen, / loo rolls/ bath cleaner etc and you can barely see the gas boiler.
It struck me that leaving the door ajar would allow the warm air to heat upstairs rather than keeping my bed linen unnecessaryily toasty warm.
Should I be using the cupboard for something else?
I've done this all 38 years of married life....l

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 12:19:07

unnecessaryily? As much as I quite like my version......unnecessarily

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-15 12:20:29

My airing cupboard contains the hot water tank (well lagged so no heat actually in the cupboard. It stores towels. And, thinking about it, I could use it for much more if someone put more shelves in it!! grin

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 12:23:07

I've got the shelves, just need to clear it out a bit I suspect!

Ana Tue 01-Dec-15 12:26:58

I haven't got an airing cupboard...tchsad

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-15 12:31:08

My airing cupboard is a large cupboard in the bathroom that until we replaced the CH boiler with a combi had the hot tank in it. We replaced this with a small radiator. I have a set of shelves which contains bedlinen, towels, spare curtains and any textile item (throws, car rugs etc) that are big and bulky and have no obvious home elsewhere.

Pretty standard, I assume.

whitewave Tue 01-Dec-15 12:35:22

Yes all linen is kept there. Nothing else though.

mollie Tue 01-Dec-15 12:39:30

Mine's the same, loopylou. It houses the boiler and the hot water tank and I use it for towels, loo rolls and bathroom cleaning stuff. It's not very organised but it does the job. Not sure where I'd put the towels otherwise...

annodomini Tue 01-Dec-15 12:46:30

Combi boiler - no cylinder - no airing cupboard.

shysal Tue 01-Dec-15 13:16:09

Combi boiler in a cupboard, which is stuffed full of random 'toot', including loo rolls, baking tins, rucksacks, a full-sized Karcher pressure washer, vases, hoarded empty containers, and a half finished rag rug tchblush. It is in my junk room spare bedroom. When the boiler needs servicing I have to dump it all on the bottom bunk bed and cover with a sheet.
My towels are on a shelf in the bathroom, and bed linen in under-bed drawers.

Greyduster Tue 01-Dec-15 13:25:47

We have quite a large airing cupboard which houses the hot water tank, with a large deep shelf over to put towels on and a couple of smaller shelves on a side wall. There is still then enough room to stand a three-fold clothes airer in which is very useful.

Charleygirl Tue 01-Dec-15 13:43:25

The shelves were removed from my airing cupboard when I had the apparatus fitted for my solar hot water heating. The fellow fitted a tank which is too large- his mistake, my gain, extra hot water. There is space for maybe some underwear but little else. This is a modern house built without a cupboard- obviously designed by a man.

ninathenana Tue 01-Dec-15 13:49:50

Our airing cupboard is now just a cupboard since we installed a combo boiler. It's next to the bathroom so towels, cleaning stuff and loo rolls are handily stored along with spare linens.
Good idea to have a rad installed MOnica

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Dec-15 14:20:50

Our cylinder has got a very smart green overcoat, but the cupboard still gets a bit warm. Which is nice where clean pj's and nighties are concerned. Shouldn't leave the door open though. The object is to keep the cylinder warm, not the rest of the room. shockgrin

henetha Tue 01-Dec-15 14:31:08

I wish I had an airing cupboard. Must be nice.

hildajenniJ Tue 01-Dec-15 14:36:15

My airing cupboard contains the hot water tank. On the shelves it holds bed linen, towels and spare duvets. On the floor below the shelves are a tool box containing very few tools, my set of bowls and shoes in a rather nice burgundy bag ( never used since moving here 11years ago ), and a stack of spare tiles from the bathroom.
Note to self: must join bowls club before I forget how to play . tchgrin

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 15:00:16

Although my tank's well lagged perhaps I need to just clear it out a bit. I'm glad mine isn't the only one used for miscellaneous clutter grin

I've got enough soaps, shower gels etc to stock a small shop, all squirrelled away and hidden from DH who doesn't understand my tendency to 'Just in case...'

rosesarered Tue 01-Dec-15 15:18:02

We have a large airing cupboard, but since we recently had all new central heating put in, and a combi boiler,(which is housed in a separate cupboard )without the lagged tank, it's now a big space in there, so apart from lots of shelves holding towels, some sheets and duvet covers etc, we also store loo and kitchen rolls, mops and brushes, and the dyson, also ironing board, and hooks on the walls for shopping bags, keys and so on. We had a radiator installed so it's warm through the Winter.I suspect it's also a nice warm home for a few spiders!

mrshat Tue 01-Dec-15 15:32:43

Bed linen and towels!

Indinana Tue 01-Dec-15 16:24:33

We have a large airing cupboard. Unfortunately, not only does it house the hot water tank, but also the flipping cold water header tank tchangry. Our house has two quite discrete roof spaces, separated by a large lead valley. The rear one, where the header tank should have been installed, didn't have a loft hatch at all when we moved here, so at some distant point in time a previous owner must have thought the airing cupboard was a good place to house it tchconfused. Consequently the hot water pressure is very low, and if anyone wants a bath at 7.00pm, then they really need to think about turning the taps on at about 6.30 or even earlier tchshock.
DH has since created a loft hatch for this roof space, but the work involved in relocating the header tank is something neither of us have ever felt enthusiastic about.
So, with two tanks in the large cupboard, the only usable space is one shelf in between the two of them, onto which are crammed all our spare towels, and a few odd tablecloths and cushion covers right at the back.
Bed linen is kept in the under-bed drawers (amongst other random bits and pieces)

rosequartz Tue 01-Dec-15 16:26:51

The cylinder in ours is made of some type of stuff that doesn't need lagging, so it doesn't feel too hot. The airing cupboard is just nice and warm with shelves for towels, bed linen, spare bath mats, folded clothes airing, and a hanging rail to air shirts etc.
There is also a large bag of odd socks whose mates seem to have wandered off.

I don't leave the door open, the heat rises from upstairs anyway and we have put thermostats on most radiators, including bedroom ones.

rosequartz Tue 01-Dec-15 16:29:16

I store boxes of soap in the undies and scarf drawers.

Marmight Tue 01-Dec-15 17:02:43

Boiler, hot water tank, shelves with towels, duvet covers, sheets etc. rack with shoes and boots, step ladder, clothes airer, bucket & mop........

Teetime Tue 01-Dec-15 17:12:55

The cupboard which is supposed to be my airing cupboard has a HUGE tank and feeder tank (two showers) so no room for anything. Towels and line are stored in a rattan trunk and drawers. When I had an airing cupboard it had rows of coloured coded towels and bed linen- I loved tidying it. I know I know - get a life Teetime!!

FarNorth Tue 01-Dec-15 17:36:19

Airing cupboard is in kitchen. V handy to stick washed and "dried" tupperware boxes in for a bit to make sure they are properly dry.
Hand towel on hook inside cupboard door so it's not hanging around soggily.
Other than that, the usual sheets etc but not colour-coded. smile