Gransnet forums

House and home

A Warning

(9 Posts)
grandmac Fri 12-Feb-16 18:06:26

I would like to warn other Gransnetters about a fraudulent company which I have just discovered is still operating. The company is Plantation Shutters Direct and has defrauded many people, including the manufacturer, out of hundreds of thousands of pounds. I was one of them. Two years ago I paid a deposit of £2875 for bespoke shutters to be made for my house, but have never received the shutters or my money back. This has happened to so many people now I thought it worth giving out a warning.
Many of us have contacted ActionFraud but the company is still operating as I have heard just yesterday of yet another person still waiting for their shutters a year after paying the deposit. In my case the measurements taken were inadequate to build the shutters and the order was never given to the manufacturer. I am deliberately not stating the name of the owner of the company, but it is run by a son and his mother.
Please beware of this company and their false promises, and pass the message on so that these people can do no more harm.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Feb-16 18:09:42

Sounds like one for Watchdog?

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 18:38:29

I used the Trading Standards site, grandmac, to report a company that tried to defraud the school I worked for (in those far-off days grin): www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

They were very efficient and were building a case against the company. They asked if I'd be a witness in a case against them if I was needed (but I wasn't, in the end).

Though I'd have thought ActionFraud should have taken action. Did they get in touch with you at all?

Eloethan Sat 13-Feb-16 00:06:36

Has anyone reported this company to the police, as this must surely constitute theft? Why does it feel like very little is done about this sort of behaviour - sometimes blatantly criminal behaviour - from companies. We hear of companies that have huge numbers of unpaid country court judgments and yet they are still trading, and companies who change their names to avoid paying their creditors or honouring their guarantees/warranties. Why is it so easy for these people to keep trading?

grandma It's awful that you have lost so much money. As you say the company is still operating, I wonder if it is worth bringing a claim in the County Court. It isn't a very complicated procedure. Perhaps the CAB could advise you.

durhamjen Sat 13-Feb-16 00:58:29

The police would just tell you to contact trading standards. They are on your local authority website.

grandmac Sun 14-Feb-16 18:19:54

I did contact the police but they referred me back to ActionFraud. I did receive a letter from them saying that "....please be assured that activity is in progress and that no further action is required on your part...".
I have tried to contact them again but with no response to telephone or emails. And I know that several other people, including the manufacturer, had contacted them about this company so you would think that something would have happened.

I did consider taking them to the small claims court but know that they would declare they had no assets, or say they would pay £10 a month, but then fail to pay anything. I think they had done this before.

I wrote to Watchdog and the morning programme with Gloria Hunniford and Angela Rippon (can't remember the name) but didn't receive an answer from either.

I haven't contacted Trading Standards so might try them this week.

Myself and several others who were left out of pocket were rescued by the manufacturer who fitted the shutters at the original price, but people are still adding to the thread on Facebook to say they have been recent victims.

Thank you all for your comments.

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:33:20

Even if you went to Small Claims and won, if they didn't pay you have to then go to Enforcement of Judgements for it to be enforced incurring fees which have to be paid up front.

durhamjen Sun 14-Feb-16 20:05:03

I've done that, Coolgran. Eventually the company paid up, when the sherriffs arrived on the doorstep. They have to pay your fees as well.

Ana Sun 14-Feb-16 20:49:54

Not if they've declared themselves bankrupt - which admittedly doesn't seem to be the case here as they're still advertising and offering wonderful testimonials!